Fractal Audio AMP models: CA Triptik (Carol-Ann Triptik)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
* EDIT: Up-to-date information is available in Yek's Guide to the Fractal Audio Amplifier Models *
Triptik.jpg

CA Triktik: based on Carol-Ann Triptik

This is the second model in our series which is based on a tube amp from amp builder Alan Phillips (Carol-Ann amps).

Alan Phillips collaborates with Cliff to get the best possible models of his amps:

“He's welcome to model anything of mine. I love the guy and his work, he's a good friend. We are local to each other and also both classic car nuts too that frequent many of the same car shows and cruise nights, so that just seals the deal.”​

“Not everyone falls in to the hatred of tube amps and despising guys like me, who actually design the things you guys want to emulate, just because they own an AxeFX. While there might be a childish 'them and us' situation on forums, there truly isn't at a professional level. Most accomplished players don't fall in a strict category and will use both if they have a need.​

What better way to get an amp in front of 1000's of players, amateur and pro alike than to ensure the model is as close as it can be. It sure beats clips on a website.​

An AxeFX is a tool, so is a tube amp, they are not a political statements. They don't even compete.​

Bottom line, it helps sell amps !! Now that probably pisses some of the closed minded idiots off, but hey, they win out in the next free software update with another new amp, at no cost to them. Get the designer on board and it naturally stands a much better chance of being closer. I'm compensated by more sales. Win-win.”​

Do you know why the amps are named Carol-Ann? Here's the story:

"Back in 2002, I had just moved to US from England and was waiting for all my worldly possessions to follow me, which would take up to 5 months to be shipped across the Atlantic as part of container ship cargo. Within 6 weeks of being in the US, I already found myself joining a local rock cover band. I had been playing in bands since 1985 and just couldn’t stand not playing. While I had my guitar and a couple of effects, all my amplifiers and speaker cabinets were living in a container somewhere on Heysham dock in England. I could either buy an amp in the US or just build myself one. I had been repairing and building amps for many years in the UK, so it was no big deal to build one....apart from the fact I had no clue where to buy parts in the US and had very little in the way of tools or space to build it. I did still however manage to build one, although it cost way more than it should have done and took up precious space on the dining room table whilst under construction much to the dismay of my wife at the time. In order to try to offset the fact the project cost way more money than I had originally anticipated and the construction took up the dining table for a week or more I decided to name the amp after my wife, hence the name ‘Carol-Ann’. I still got in trouble anyway....but maybe not as bad as it could have been. The business was formed in 2005 with the same name. However, even though Carol and I are no longer together, the name stuck and she insisted I kept the name."​

The Triptik is a 50 watts 3-channel amp with EL34 power tubes. It was designed for rock. Channel 1 is for clean sounds. The second and third channel are identical; you can use their Classic/Modern voicing switches to change the character of each.

Caroll-Ann website:

“This 3- Channel Amplifier is our idea for a true rock amp that is capable of reproducing both timeless classic rock tones to modern high gain tones with a super tight and crushing low end. The design of this amplifier is a true ground up design and has not been inspired by any other amplifier out there. It is an original back to the drawing board design.

The unique gain structure doesn't use high numbers of cascading gain stages compressing the life out of your tone, nor does it use any type of solid state clipping. The OD from this amp is generated by running each gain to their absolute extreme, just keeping them this side of instability. Like a fine tuned racing engine. This helps preserve the dynamic range, keeps noise to a minimum and emphasizes the harmonic overtones of each note without ever sounding bright or harsh.

The Clean Channel on this amp has been designed to redefine what is capable with EL34 power tubes. It has a shimmer that is never heard with this tube type and has incredible headroom.By pushing the pre-gain control a little, it is possible to get some slightly broken clean tones too from this channel. It also takes Overdrive pedals extremely well.

The amp features two identical overdrive channels that both have a switch that sets the particular channel to either 'Classic' or 'Modern' voicings. The 'classic' voicing has a little less gain and low end and will produce 70's and 80's British rock tones with a very wide and complex sound stage with no buzz or brittle high frequencies. The 'Modern' setting has more gain and low end for those more modern heavy rhythm, dropped tunings. This channel also makes for a superb liquid lead channel with incredible sustain and harmonic bloom.

The tones controls on all channels are very effective and the center points of each one perfect for the exact frequency bands that will push the amp through any mix.

Basically, the concept was for me to produce an amp that would reproduce my favorite modded rock amp tones as well as up to date modern higher gain tones without mush and noise.

As with all our amplifiers, the Triptik is built entirely by hand and features a non-PCB main audio board, and hard wired chassis mounted controls and tube sockets.”​

Cliff:

"This TripTik is badass. Dumble meets Marshall with a sprinkle of 5150 power amp."​

"I think what people like about this amp is the same reason people like the BE/HBE. These amps share the same aggressive low-cut on the input and then add bass back in the power amp. This gives clear bass response without getting flubby."​

Alan Phillips:

“In the Triptik, The initial bass cut happens after the first gain stage, but is incrementally brought back in through the next stages while also controlling and manipulating the high and the mid bands too. There are several filters at various points in the gain stages to manipulate these other bands.

One band is always relative to the other two. In other words if you want more bass, you don't necessarily have to increase that, you can attenuate the other two bands to create the same effect.

Keeping the bass out of earlier stages allows each stage to be set up for more gain, so you get more gain from less stages which keeps the S/N ratio down and the dynamic range up.

The feedback loop in the power amp is frequency dependent and allows more mid-highs to be passed back to the phase inverter on the inverted input out of phase with the normal input which flattens the response and lowers the power amp gain (closed loop gain) much more for just those two bands. The bass band is not attenuated anywhere near as much so is amplified at a level much closer to the open loop gain of the power amp.”​

The Triktik has tone controls (Bass, Middle, Treble) for the clean channel and another shared set for channels 2 and 3. There’s a shared Input Level control (model: Input Drive), and separate Drive controls for channels 2 and 3. Each channel has a Master control. Presence is shared. Channels 2 and 3 have a Classic/Modern voicing switch. No Bright switch.

Models with Input Drive and Overdrive controls always feel “elastic” and spongy, a real joy to play.

Alan Phillips:

(about the Classic mode): "On the real amp, you would set the Input level at 2 O'clock and the Gain at 1 to 2 O'clock to get a great classic rock rhythm tone. It's not overly different in character to the modern setting, less gain and less low end essentially."​

The Triptik is a Master Volume amp. This means that the amp’s distortion is created in particular by the preamp tubes, not the power amp. The Master Volume, which works in the power amp section, is still very important to the tone and feel. You have to decide for yourself what setting in the model works for you best. The default setting is a good point to start of course.

All three channels have been modeled. The models have received a lot of praise from Fractal Audio users over the years.

The models of the Triptik originally are based on a Triptik owned by forum member @jharpersj. IIRC Cliff later got a Triptik himself on which the models are based now.

We’ve got a 1x12 Triptik UltraRes cab model in our stock cabs: #121. It’s a little special because it has the boutique Scholz Classic (aka Sugar Cone) speaker. The Triptik actually is very forgiving regarding cabs. It will work with V30, greenbacks etc.

Last edited:
Personal notes:
  • Compared to the Tucana (which we'll discuss tomorrow) I prefer the Triptik model. It's a little bolder and rough around the edges, where the Tucana is almost too smooth and perfect.

• For some reason I can't make the model of the Triptik clean channel work for me. That applies to the Tucana Clean model too. It must be me, because I know of several people which love the clean models. It's just too clean for me.

• The stock 1x12 Triptik cab sounds somewhat boxy and small.
    I love the combo of stocks cabs #27 and #54 with the Triptik and Tucana.

• If you prefer V30s, try cab #12 (4x12 Citrus). [EDIT: that should be: #126] Even though I'm not a fan of the Orange sound normally, IMHO this is one of the best stock cabs with V30s available.

Last edited:
Just like Alan said...The Axe model of this amp made me want to buy the real one. It's a fantastic amplifier!
Thanks for doing these Yek. I love these posts..

How should we set the tone controls on this amp? Is it like a vintage Marshall, where you have to crank them to open up the sound a little, or are they fine at stock settings?

How should we set the tone controls on this amp? Is it like a vintage Marshall, where you have to crank them to open up the sound a little, or are they fine at stock settings?

The following settings work with all my guitars.

Stereo UR Cab with #27 and 54.

Classic:
Input Drive: 5
Overdrive: 7.50
Bass: 5
Mid: 6
Treble: 6
Presence: 7

Modern:
Input Drive: 5
Overdrive: 7.50
Bass: 4
Mid: 6
Treble: 6
Presence: 7

Everything else default.

There are tone controls man....they are meant to be adjusted to wherever they sound good to you, its why they are easily accessible on the front panel of an amp, not on some hard to reach internal trim pot. There is no right or wrong setting.

One dude might like the mids cranked, another with them at 5, so on and so forth. Taste, different guitars, different pickups etc will totally vary.

Twist a knob, take a listen.

Personal notes:
  • For some reason I can't make the model of the Triptik clean channel work for me. That applies to the Tucana Clean model too. It must be me, because I know of several people which love the clean models. It's just too clean for me.

Have you tried the Triptik clean since 2.01 / 2.02? It's possible to push it to a nice crunch now. I use it as my main clean sound, and I agree that older versions were a bit too clean.

I can easily drive it into distortion with my low-output Suhr Thornbucker since 2.01 / 2.02. I usually keep the Input Drive around 5 and MV around 6.

New user here. I really enjoy these reviews to a first class musician. Very informative and musically inspiring.

Last edited:
I spent the last 30 minutes playing around with the Triptik clean as well as the Tucana clean. I never bonded with them at all because i like my clean a little dirty

However, bumping the drive up to 8 or 9 and pushing the MV up got me some very enjoyable tones from my neck single coil.

Thanks for the tips and thanks Alex for the continuing efforts on these posts!

Back
Top Bottom