FAS Modern II with Pitch Shift block -5 semitones.

sounds really good. i don't think i would have spotted it was pitch shifted if you hadn't said so

did you try my little adsr/volume block trick?

that's the idea behind my little trick - to diguise the latency.

here's what you do...

put a volume block in parallel with the pitch shifter
bypass the pitch shifter with bypass mode set to mute
attach the adsr to the volume block "volume" param
set the attack of the adsr 1ms
decay to 3ms
sustain to 1ms
release to 1ms
level to 100%
and set the threshold so that when you hit the strings you hear the attack portion on each hit (should be around -25db)

unmute the pitch block

the idea is that the volume block lets through the attack portion of each hit, filling in the gap created by the latency in the pitch shifter

kinda works ok, but it's tricky to get every hit to trigger the adsr, as the signal has to fall below the threshold each time

sounds really good. i don't think i would have spotted it was pitch shifted if you hadn't said so

Thanks! That's what I was going for ;) It's a lot easier to fake with high-gain sounds. Medium/low gain stuff doesn't sound nearly as good when using the Pitch block in the front of your signal chain, unfortunately.

Sounds good indeed. Did you encounter any latency issues?
Whenever I try this, the latency kills it..
Latency was actually pretty minimal for me. Definitely wasn't worse than when I tried to play direct into POD Farm or Guitar Rig 5 plugins like I have in the past ;) Whenever I use the Pitch block for this purpose, I usually have a very simplistic signal chain as the Axe-Fx technically uses CPU even if unused effects blocks are bypassed. I'm pretty sure this was Pitch->Amp->Cab->and maybe reverb.

For a pitch shifted guitar, sounded really cool. Though I didn't get the feel of a 7 String guitar through my monitors.

Simeon, your trick sounds really cool. it's on my to do list! Thanks.

For a pitch shifted guitar, sounded really cool. Though I didn't get the feel of a 7 String guitar through my monitors.

Thanks! Rightfully so though regarding the 7-string sound. There are so many nuances in the harmonic content (overtones mainly) that would be too altered by such a shift in pitch that the sound won't quite sound like ANY sort of guitar (7-string or otherwise) actually tuned to Drop A. Works in a pinch, but at least it works better than using a guitar as a bass by using a -12 semitone shift, which prior to owning a bass, I have actually done... haha.

Don't worry. A 7-string is on my list. I won't have to fake it for too long.

here's what you do...

decay to 3ms
sustain to 1ms
release to 1ms
level to 100%
and set the threshold so that when you hit the strings you hear the attack portion on each hit (should be around -25db)

unmute the pitch block

the idea is that the volume block lets through the attack portion of each hit, filling in the gap created by the latency in the pitch shifter

kinda works ok, but it's tricky to get every hit to trigger the adsr, as the signal has to fall below the threshold each time

On my system / with my guitar Threshold at -35 works great.

here's what you do...

decay to 3ms
sustain to 1ms
release to 1ms
level to 100%

unmute the pitch block

How do you mute the pitch block? the only options I have are mute fx in, mute fx out, mute in, mute out and thru.

Back
Top Bottom