Does anyone else get a crackling sound out of their FRFR?

skyhighrocks

Inspired
Video added:

This might be the norm, but ever since I've used FRFR speakers (and even some studio monitors), if I let a chord ring out, there's a crackling sound that sounds like the speaker is flapping. It's pretty annoying, especially when trying to record. It's not Fractal specific as it happened when I had a Helix and happens with my Amplifire too.

Last edited:
Over driving the output of the unit or input of the speakers? I've only had that issue when I was too hot on the output level or I was digitally clipping.

The green light is for internal clipping it doesn't necessarily reflect output volume. Try lowering the main volume knob.
image.png

The green light is for internal clipping it doesn't necessarily reflect output volume. Try lowering the main volume knob.
I hear it when the main volume knob is barely up. Are you talking about the out 1 and out 2 level knobs?

And like I said, it's not fractal specific. It's whenever I use a FRFR speaker...not real cabs.

Maybe too much level in the unit itself, at the output and/or DA converter. Crackling is most always digital in nature with these modeling devices. I only get crackling if CPU usage is too high or somethings digitally distorting.

Maybe too much level in the unit itself, at the output and/or DA converter. Crackling is most always digital in nature with these modeling devices. I only get crackling if CPU usage is too high or somethings digitally distorting.

So what's the fix for this? Like I said, it happens with my amplifire too. I try to make sure to check my levels when creating presets and use the VU meter as well. My presets usually are around 80-90%...I can't go less than that as I'm already giving things up that I need.

I associate that sound with digital clipping.

Virtual levels inside the preset are too hot and the D to A is clipping.

Clean / Edge of breakup tones can do this because of their wide dynamic range. Hard and percussive playing will clip internally even though everything might seem okay when dialing it in.

Try palm mutes and percussive playing while watching the meters and see if you can get it to clip.

I associate that sound with digital clipping.

Virtual levels inside the preset are too hot and the D to A is clipping.

Clean / Edge of breakup tones can do this because of their wide dynamic range. Hard and percussive playing will clip internally even though everything might seem okay when dialing it in.

Try palm mutes and percussive playing while watching the meters and see if you can get it to clip.

It usually only happens when letting a chord ring out...clean or not. So what is the best way to rectify this? My levels on the VU usually just hit 0.

Do your speakers have a clip indicator? If you are for sure hitting around 0db on the AX8 VU meter, then the clipping could be happening somewhere else - like the input of the speakers. It could also be that the speaker drivers are blown from too much volume (easy to do with smaller studio monitors).

Do your speakers have a clip indicator? If you are for sure hitting around 0db on the AX8 VU meter, then the clipping could be happening somewhere else - like the input of the speakers. It could also be that the speaker drivers are blown from too much volume (easy to do with smaller studio monitors).
It's a CLR. I can turn volume almost all the way down and still hear it. Mostly on clean or low gain tones...high gain you can't tell because of the distortion.

bad cable(s)?

Reason for mentioning it that we spend ages trying to chase down what we thought was digital clipping and it turned out to be bad XLR cables between the patch bays.

Last edited:
I had similar issue once. I can't remember which one was:

1, 2 CLRs and the AXE-FX was too much for 1 outlet (power strio)
2, Humbuster

(maybe it was the first one and the humbuster solved it? can't remember)

I had similar issue once. I can't remember which one was:

1, 2 CLRs and the AXE-FX was too much for 1 outlet (power strio)
2, Humbuster

(maybe it was the first one and the humbuster solved it? can't remember)

This isn't isolated though to specific gear. I heard it on a Friedman ASM-12, an alto 212, etc...with different modelers.

Back
Top Bottom