Cool Van Halen Preset from Youtube Tutorials

atquinn

Power User
I'm sure people have seen Anthony Ferguson's tutorials on getting the brown sound on Youtube

When I first saw them, I remember thinking it would be easy as pie to pull off the preset on the AX8 and it was! The cab block and effects are exactly as in his videos, but the amp block is a bit different. For starters, there were a couple parameters that I didn't dial in exactly because one wasn't in the AX8 amp block and the other one was, but he was partially using it compensate for what he did with the missing parameter. Also his guitar has a hotter, thicker bridge pickup than the one I was using (mine has a Suhr SSV in the bridge). To compensate, I didn't cut as much low end and I turned on the saturation switch. My guitar still doesn't sound exactly like his videos, but it sounds great to me and it's tons of fun to goof around on. I think this preset makes a nice alternative to the Brown Sound factory preset and I learned alot making it. Hopefully someone out there will have some fun noodling around on it.
-
Austin

Attachments

• Van Halen-esque (YT).syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 412
Hey thanks...sounds pretty good...my guitar sounds a little different too....nonetheless it is fun to goof with as you mention!

Thanks for the tutorial! I'm new to Fractal. I've been waiting for Fractal to come out with something a little more affordable and now I'm on the waiting list for an AX8. Can't wait to start putting it to good use.

I just imported some new presets into my ax8, and wow, this is one of my favorites from the whole bunch! I'm a hardrock/metal player and this is a VERY usefull patch. Thank you!

This tutorial is what put me over the edge with AX8 GAS. Thanks for replicating the preset :)

@atquinn thanks for sharing! A lot of cool little tricks in there I would not have thought of. In addition to trying this pre set I will try some of his amp tweaks with my pre sets.

Dani's pre sets sounded really good in the videos but not so much once loaded onto my rig

@atquinn thanks for sharing! A lot of cool little tricks in there I would not have thought of. In addition to trying this pre set I will try some of his amp tweaks with my pre sets.

Dani's pre sets sounded really good in the videos but not so much once loaded onto my rig

That's the main problem with preset sharing that I have come across, What sounds good for one person may not work out for someone else because of the differences in gear.

So as long as the people that are sharing presets have gear that is fairly similar they seem to work out with minimal tweaks.

I dig most of it -really works for me. Crazy how much gain is there in the Plexi with no OD in the front.
@atquinn do you know if Anthony Ferguson is on the forum and if so what does he go by?

I would like to ask him some questions. thanks

I dig most of it -really works for me. Crazy how much gain is there in the Plexi with no OD in the front.
@atquinn do you know if Anthony Ferguson is on the forum and if so what does he go by?

I would like to ask him some questions. thanks

I believe he is on the forum but I'm not sure what his username is, sorry.
-
Austin

Back
Top Bottom