Converting mono cabinet to stereo...

zurdyo

Hey fellas,
I'm planning to modify my 2x12 VHT Fat Bottom (120W, 2xV30, mono, 8 ohm) cabinet to stereo, in order to best enjoy the stereo effects. I'd love your feedback on this issue:

1. Would the stereo effect be noticeable in a cabinet with speakers so close to each other?

2. Has anybody attempted to make this mod? I found this guide: (Wiring a 2 X 12 Speaker cabinet)

Thanks!!

Yep, I've done it and with the same cab... it works but not very well as far as stereo separation goes but it does add a certain dimension to your sound.

Heres a pic of the back... I just used a pair of 1/4 jacks that will let you run stereo when you have two cables plugged in using the Switchcraft 14B Stereo Jacks.

Picture150.jpg

Last edited:
Cool, thanks, sixstring!
May I ask what technical solution you used for this mod? Would you happen to have a snapshot of the backplate as it is now?

1. Yes, qualified - stereo FX like delay, reverb, chorus will generate ambience. To my ears it can make the sound field seem "bigger". Panning effects won't be effective with the drivers so close.

2. Yes, I have modded many cabs. It appears that your cab has 16 ohm drivers, so you may find that you need a more powerful stereo amp if you gig live with it - a minimum of 200w/8 ohm per channel IMO. With the 16 ohm load this would be about 100w per channel.

What kind of amp will you use?

This is the diagram you should use, the switch is optional. I'd suggest just leaving out to try and see if you like it. Pay attention to the +/- connections, if you wire one driver out of phase it will sound bad. Basically you'd just wire one driver to each jack, it's simple enough to redo if you don't like it. If you do, and want the switchable option, then add a switch.

2sp_stereo_mono1.gif

Cool, thanks, sixstring!
May I ask what technical solution you used for this mod? Would you happen to have a snapshot of the backplate as it is now?

I don't have the cab anymore but I did an Edit on my 1st post telling what I used and the mod is very simple. This diagram is the one I used...

mono-stereo.gif

Last edited:
It appears that your cab has 16 ohm drivers, so you may find that you need a more powerful stereo amp if you gig live with it - a minimum of 200w/8 ohm per channel IMO. With the 16 ohm load this would be about 100w per channel.

What kind of amp will you use?

I was actually thinking of the new Matrix GT800FX, but considering my cabinet is a 120W one, I concluded it was too powerful for it. From your post I reckon it's not like that...?

This is the diagram you should use, the switch is optional. I'd suggest just leaving out to try and see if you like it. Pay attention to the +/- connections, if you wire one driver out of phase it will sound bad. Basically you'd just wire one driver to each jack, it's simple enough to redo if you don't like it. If you do, and want the switchable option, then add a switch.

Where would you suggest I buy the switch online, in case I like it?
Furthermore, I read from the link that they suggest NOT mounting both jacks on the same plate, which means I can't the already existing one...

Furthermore, I read from the link that they suggest NOT mounting both jacks on the same plate, which means I can't the already existing one...

As you can see in the pic I posted the Jacks are non-metallic so it's not an issue.

Back
Top Bottom