Cliff: "wink, wink, nudge, nudge"

year2525

Inspired
Since this quote is almost 4 weeks old and I wouldn't find further discussion I thought I'd bring it up, hoping someone would shed some light on it (Cliff, Yek,).

There's a bunch of other tricks you can do. When I catch up on a few pressing things I'll do some tutorials. For example, you can do near full "profiling" using a two-step process. Capture the output EQ with the Tone Match block at high excitation levels. Export that to a cab IR. Add the cab block after the amp. Reduce the excitation level way down so that the reference amp and the model are operating in the linear (or near-linear) region. Do another Tone Match. Move the Tone Match block before the amp block. Now you have a fully profiled amp.

wink, wink, nudge, nudge...

My first thought was that this would allow for the tone match to response in relation to dynamics... but then again, I don't think that's the point here.

Yah, sry for the thread title.

Last edited:
Well you can definitely do a profile by using guitar DI tracks. This way the tone is matched to the exactly same signal so the process is 100% perfect. I got a chance to do that on a Mesa Mark IV and here are my results:

There's a slight volume difference but other than that I'd say it's a pretty accurate "profile". IMO it's just stupid with when technology and terms get twisted. Amp sim = amp model. Profile = matched tone. It's all the same thing really.

I think in the quote Cliff's on to something more than that.

I wouldn't recommend matching with a DI signal as the result will only be really close when playing the same riff with the same guitar.

Sry, with this title I should've known where this thread would be heading...

I caught that comment from Cliff too and would like the process he described broken down into more detail too.

Richard

Maybe???

Since this quote is almost 4 weeks old and I wouldn't find further discussion I thought I'd bring it up, hoping someone would shed some light on it (Cliff, Yek,).

Originally Posted by FractalAudio

There's a bunch of other tricks you can do. When I catch up on a few pressing things I'll do some tutorials. For example, you can do near full "profiling" using a two-step process. Capture the output EQ with the Tone Match block at high excitation levels. Export that to a cab IR. Add the cab block after the amp. Reduce the excitation level way down so that the reference amp and the model are operating in the linear (or near-linear) region. Do another Tone Match. Move the Tone Match block before the amp block. Now you have a fully profiled amp.

wink, wink, nudge, nudge....

My first thought was that this would allow for the tone match to response in relation to dynamics... but then again, I don't think that's the point here.

Yah, sry for the thread title.

Has anyone considered the possibility that Cliff might've been explaining (scientifically in English, as opposed to the code itself!) how he/Fractal went about re-working a lot of the amp-models in FW-6.0?

Bill

Let's get this back to the process that Cliff mentioned in that quote.

As barhrecords mentioned, can someone explain or go into detail what exactly is happening in that process that results in a "fully profiled" amp, or at least improves the "standard" tone matching of an amp.

Let's get this back to the process that Cliff mentioned in that quote.

As barhrecords mentioned, can someone explain or go into detail what exactly is happening in that process that results in a "fully profiled" amp, or at least improves the "standard" tone matching of an amp.

Here is what I was guessing:

For the excitation match, crank the level of the output to the real amp until it just overdrives it.

For the non-excitation match, reduce the output level back to nominal or below nominal.

My 2 cent guess :)

Richard

I think in the quote Cliff's on to something more than that.

I wouldn't recommend matching with a DI signal as the result will only be really close when playing the same riff with the same guitar.

Umm... no. The whole point is to send the same signal through the matching process... it doesn't even have to be a guitar. Kemper uses static noise... that would most likely be best to capture the whole spectrum accurately.

Just do it. I've been doing it this way since he first posted it. Is all there. Not sure what else you guys need to know.

Back
Top Bottom