Cab Block Tip / Possibly a Bug

Perdikament

Power User
I’ve had a few channels on a few patches that just haven’t sounded right, out of phase.. but when I look they are all lined up.. so I was going through each cab one by one and I muted al of them & I was still getting a bit of a signal. Huh?? It was the Air parameter in the Cab Block.. it sends a bit of the direct signal, so on the channels I had put a little Air on it still comes through. But not only that, it doesn’t move along with the Aligning. So you really can’t use it if you’ve aligned a cab. It’ll throw ya out of phase. Just to be clear: if you mute the Cab Block it’ll mute it, but not if you mute the individual cab inside the Block/Channel.
Something to be aware of.

I noticed something sounded like that as well, when I messing with the new beta firmware last night. Couldn't pinpoint it. Thanks for the tip

I’ve had a few channels on a few patches that just haven’t sounded right, out of phase.. but when I look they are all lined up.. so I was going through each cab one by one and I muted al of them & I was still getting a bit of a signal. Huh?? It was the Air parameter in the Cab Block.. it sends a bit of the direct signal, so on the channels I had put a little Air on it still comes through. But not only that, it doesn’t move along with the Aligning. So you really can’t use it if you’ve aligned a cab. It’ll throw ya out of phase. Just to be clear: if you mute the Cab Block it’ll mute it, but not if you mute the individual cab inside the Block/Channel.
Something to be aware of.
Sounds like a bug...

I noticed something sounded like that as well, when I messing with the new beta firmware last night. Couldn't pinpoint it. Thanks for the tip
Yeah, if you’ve been using the Air parameter and the Alignment tool, then I would definitely go back and check any patch that has the Air ON.
Just simply bring the Air back down to 0% and see if your tone doesn’t jump right back out into focus at ya.

Air is just clean signal mixed in. It WILL cause phase issues if the IRs are not minimum-phase or delayed.

I personally never use it and considered removing it. It's a holdover from the II.

That's not a bug, air is amp DI, straight off the speaker jack without going through any IRs. Air is like a cab block bypass valve, goes straight through.

Maybe air would sound better if it was also alignable?
I' d prefer an x-over to getting able to mix in the lows of a different cab instead of flat air. Often you have highs right but you need different lows or vice-versa.

Air is just clean signal mixed in. It WILL cause phase issues if the IRs are not minimum-phase or delayed.

I personally never use it and considered removing it. It's a holdover from the II.
I never used it either, not even with the II. However someone just said recently somewhere that the Air parameter was actually useable, so I gave it a shot. I only had it up somewhere around 15-20% and brought the freq down, it was being used very subtle at most, but somewhere along the way I must have added in another cab Block and aligned the MPT + Air to it & just not noticed the phase issue at the time. Or who knows how I missed it at the origin of creating it, but it was/has been quite obvious something was off when going back to these particular patch & channels.
Anyway, I’m all for removing that parameter.
*I do understand how it works & I did at the time, just didn’t dawn on me about the potential phase issue. But makes perfect sense as it’d be treated as a signal routed directly through the board portion of the Cab Block & not Cab & mic.

I use the air parameter in most of my presets 5-10% . I find it brings them more to life for the amp in the room feel. Now with the alignment feature available it might not be as valuable.

Some other members also mentioned that they use it also . If possible I would like to continue to use it unless it is causing more harm than good . Thanks

Back
Top Bottom