Buffers in front of the Input?

rsf1977_again

Power User
I heard that a buffer pedal will negate the secret sauce of the front input. Is that true? If it is does, that mean the rear input is just as good as the front when a buffer is used?

A buffer will render the impedance stuff ineffective. It will also add (maybe considerable) noise which may defeat the low-noise advantage of the front input.

Does this mean that when using active pickups, like EMGs, that it's preferable to plug into the rear Input(s) rather than the front?

Does this mean that when using active pickups, like EMGs, that it's preferable to plug into the rear Input(s) rather than the front?
i doubt it.

no one said the rear is better than the front at any point though.

i have a Superego pedal in front of my axefx that has a buffered circuit that is always engaged. If the rear input is equal to the front in this case I'd rather use the rear because it's easier to hook up everything at shows that way. Also, was just curious what the buffer did to the secret sauce

Does a wireless count as a buffer?

I have mine plugged into the front input via a short lead coming out of the front of the rack and then into the Axe.

If there is no advantage I guess I could just use the rear and have my rack look slightly neater

I mostly use the rear straight from the guitar and have no sound quality reduction. I'm sure you can use the rear no problem with that pedal that buffers. Let your ears be your guide.

I guess another question is... Does the secret sauce front input have a negative impact when it receives a buffered signal? Just looking for the optimal connection for my buffered signal. Thanks for all the help guys.

I guess another question is... Does the secret sauce front input have a negative impact when it receives a buffered signal? Just looking for the optimal connection for my buffered signal. Thanks for all the help guys.
i would guess no, no negative effect, but no positive one either.

i have a Superego pedal in front of my axefx that has a buffered circuit that is always engaged. If the rear input is equal to the front in this case I'd rather use the rear because it's easier to hook up everything at shows that way. Also, was just curious what the buffer did to the secret sauce

Why wouldn't you put the pedal in the FX loop, then you can control exactly where it sits in the signal chain and it won't mess with the input to the AFX?

Why wouldn't you put the pedal in the FX loop, then you can control exactly where it sits in the signal chain and it won't mess with the input to the AFX?
Not all pedals work well there. I have some fuzz pedals that really don't sound great if they're fed by a buffered source instead of guitar pickups directly.

This is interesting. I hadn't considered using the rear input at all, based on what I've read here. But... I do use a G90 wireless, and the read input would be easier from a cabling standpoint. Should I be using the rear input with my wireless? I understood the G90 output is basically guitar line-level. Is it buffered?

Does the secret sauce front input have a negative impact when it receives a buffered signal?
No, there is no negative impact.
You just don't "see" the benefits of that input as far as low noise floor and guitar interaction.

If you have a buffer in your chain then I would just use whatever input works best as far as cable routing goes.

This is interesting. I hadn't considered using the rear input at all, based on what I've read here. But... I do use a G90 wireless, and the read input would be easier from a cabling standpoint. Should I be using the rear input with my wireless? I understood the G90 output is basically guitar line-level. Is it buffered?
With a wireless front vs rear is pretty much indistinguishable. Your wireless is preventing your from taking advantage of the variable input impedance magic that's on the front input.

Back
Top Bottom