Best and cheapest 1 rack space SS Power amplifiers

grunge782

I just got an Axe-FX. I find my self just playing for hours with it unlike other amps where I jump right into songs. I have as much fun just making strange and landscape like sounds as I do playing your more "standard" songs.

I have a Carvin TS100 which I am happy with, however I burn tubes when doing nothing but tweaking. I plan to upgrade to a VHT in the future once I get my Mako preamp. After this christmas its truly going to be a rig of doom :twisted:

I really like just messing around on the Axe-FX and I don't want to always have to be running it into a computer or a tube poweramp.

Because I'm not going to be pushing it hard at all, I just need a good cheap 1 rack space power amp that doesn't burn tubes when I just want to tweak and practice.

Any suggestions?

I'm using the SLA2. Happy here. Sold my Mesa 2:90 so that equalled cash in the pocket too! (and a much lighter rig!)

Alright sounds great! For me it was between that one and the carvin from what I have been able to find so far.

Anybody try the Carvin one?

I think the carvin one is made in the US but I could be wrong about that. If so that is a big plus.

I'm also looking for a single space power amp. I was looking at the ART SLA-1, SLA-2, and the Carvin DCM200L. Anyone using the lower powered SLA-1, or is everyone using the SLA-2?

grunge782 said:
I think the carvin one is made in the US but I could be wrong about that. If so that is a big plus.

Why ??

OK some stuff made in China, or the Far east in general may not be up to the build quality of US stuff, but some of it is - and theres plently of EU made quality kit.

Personally Id go the Art Route too - but the SLA-1 would be more than enought for you. I use it with a 2x12 in a band situation with no problems (in bridged mono) so for just noodling the SLA-1 is a cheaper and lighter option.

grunge782 said:
Personally Id go the Art Route too - but the SLA-1 would be more than enought for you. I use it with a 2x12 in a band situation with no problems (in bridged mono) so for just noodling the SLA-1 is a cheaper and lighter option.
I'd say he will need the extra headroom from the SLA-2. Solid State power amps need a LOT of extra headroom to not clip and add distortion to the sound (i.e. sound like they're supposed to). The price difference between the SLA-1 and the SLA-2 really isn't much, so pony up.

I also like the SLA-2. I have tried a Mesa Boogie 2:Fifty and a QSC GX3 and the SLA-2 is by far the best option.

If your looking for the cheepest then I would look to the SLA1. Personally I would spend the extra $$ and go SLA-2 for the added headroom alone. The cheepest I have seen is BSW @ $289.00 + ship. http://www.amazon.com/ART-SLA-2-Studio- ... B0009GWNOG I have been rocking my SLA for almost two years, sold it then bought it back with a pair of Verve 12M's. I can push 2 412 cabs fairly easly or the Verve 12M's and they both sound really good. I also have a pair of home made 112 Recto stlye cabs with 60 watt V30's and they sound stellar when pushed @ gig levels. For now the ART SLA I think is the best and most afordable single spaced power amp out there. If you go the Carvin rought you will have to add another space as the DCM150 will leave you wanting a little more.

another option- I have 3 single space amps and prefer my Soundtech PS802-

Pros- 230 watts @8OHMS , 400 @4OHMS, 800 bridged 1/4" & XLR inputs , cleaner tones A/Bs vs my Peavey DPC 750, cheap used ($175 ebay)
light weight @ 15.8 lbs

Cons- noisey fans, bannana outputs

VERY loud, nice full bass response, much fuller sounding than my Carvin DCM 150

just some food for thought.... :D

Cheers, Joel

I'm happy with my SLA-2. Haven't tried my Ultra with any other power amps yet (besides the one in my Mesa F30 combo, which sounded good).

I think the SLA-1 is lighter in weight than the SLA-2. My rack is heavier than I thought it would be, with the Axe FX Ultra (which is light), the ART SLA-2 and Furman Power Conditioner.

Cheers

jerotas said:
grunge782 said:
I'd say he will need the extra headroom from the SLA-2. Solid State power amps need a LOT of extra headroom to not clip and add distortion to the sound (i.e. sound like they're supposed to). The price difference between the SLA-1 and the SLA-2 really isn't much, so pony up.

Yes and no. Sure the SLA-2 gives more headroom, but if your only running one cab, the SLA-1 bridged has more headroom than a single channel of the SLA-2. Also, given that he stated he wasnt pshing it too hard - and he mentioned running it into his computer, I figured it would be home use or tweeking in a rehursal room, and not in a band situation. For this application the SLA-1 in bridged is more than sufficiant. I run the 1 bridged into a single 2x12 in a full band and its fine for me.

The difference in cost could be put to some other goodies, even if it isnt that much.

Ochanomizu said:
I'm happy with my SLA-2. Haven't tried my Ultra with any other power amps yet (besides the one in my Mesa F30 combo, which sounded good).

I think the SLA-1 is lighter in weight than the SLA-2. My rack is heavier than I thought it would be, with the Axe FX Ultra (which is light), the ART SLA-2 and Furman Power Conditioner.

Cheers

My rack isnt light either - with a Standard a Peterson Stroborack and an SLA-1. It is a full flight though, so the case itself isnt light.

paulmapp8306 said:
jerotas said:
grunge782 said:

Yes and no. Sure the SLA-2 gives more headroom, but if your only running one cab, the SLA-1 bridged has more headroom than a single channel of the SLA-2. Also, given that he stated he wasnt pshing it too hard - and he mentioned running it into his computer, I figured it would be home use or tweeking in a rehursal room, and not in a band situation. For this application the SLA-1 in bridged is more than sufficiant. I run the 1 bridged into a single 2x12 in a full band and its fine for me.

The difference in cost could be put to some other goodies, even if it isnt that much.

Silly me, I keep forgetting that anyone would want to reduce the awesome stereo FX in this thing to mono with a single cab - seems silly to me to do to such a thing, but probably a good portion of you are doing just that. I don't care if I'm the only person at my gig / rehearsal hearing it in stereo, it makes me play better when it sounds better, and stereo FX sound far far better to me. Having said that, if you can play in mono with the Axe-Fx and it gets you off, more power to you!

Back
Top Bottom