'Bay Area Metal Giants Vol.1: Classic Tones' out now! (METALLICA presets) AX8 compatible

Guitarjon

Fractal Fanatic
SUMMER DISCOUNT:

Until the end of September you get a 10 euro discount if you buy both Vol.1 and Vol.2 at once.
So that's only 60 euros for 275 presets!
Get yours now!

Hey everyone!

The new 'Bay Area Metal Giants Vol.1: Classic Tones' preset pack for the Axe FX XL+ is OUT NOW!

AX8 compatible presets and IR's also OUT NOW!!!

This pack features 133 tonematch presets based on tones from the 5 first albums by 'Tallica!
These presets were made with great love and precision and I'm very happy with the results.
I did my best to capture as many tones as possible and great care was taken to make these presets as accurate as possible!
There are a lot of great rhythm tones to be found here but I also managed to capture some lead parts by both guitarists and some clean parts.

About the gear used to capture these tones:

I used my ESP LTD Iron Cross with the EMG Hetset for all James's parts and my PRS Torero with EMG's (and a floyd rose) for all of Kirk's parts.
If you use a different guitar with different pickups you might have to adjust the amount of gain, preferably by adjusting the input trim.

About the Axe FX II, XL and AX8 files:

These tones have only been tested on an Axe FX XL+.
You should be able to convert these presets to Axe FX II, XL and AX8 format using Fractool, which can be found here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fractool-the-ultimate-fractal-device-multitool.112538/
For help converting these presets I recommend looking up tutorials on Fractool etc.

When you buy the AX8 version from me, you'll get a dedicated .RAR file that also includes IR's (in the Fractal Audio .Syx format so no WAV!) for all the tones as substitutes for the tonematch blocks (which aren't available in the AX8).
To make the presets work for the AX8, you'll need to load a Cab block right after the amp block and load up the IR with the same name as the preset.
I also advise to raise the cab block volume up to 10db's to get a similar level as was intended in the Axe FX.
When I tested the IR's they sounded exactly the same as the Tonematch block, just less loud.

To load these IR files, you can use AX8 edit with the 'cab manager' function.

About the preset names:

Most of the names are quite obvious, but some require a little explanation:
L1 stands for 'Left rhythm guitar part 1' and R1 for 'Right rhythm guitar part 1'.
I did this to explain from which side of the stereo spectrum the rhythm guitar came from.
In some cases there were differences in sound between the two channels.
In most cases only one option was available to match and/or they often had the exact same sound.

Here is an example of one of the album folders, so you can get an idea of what types of sounds you'll get:

If there is enough interest, I'll consider doing the rest of the albums.

Clips:

You can check out the clips from my previous packs to get an idea of how the presets sound.
The new ones sound more accurate and have more tonal options...

Check it out:

How to acquire the presets:

The price is 35 euros which can be transferred to my PayPal: jonsymonsutrecht@hotmail.com or paypal.me/guitarjon
Please provide me with an email address along with the payment and I'll send the presets as soon as I am able.
Also don't forget to let me know if you want the Axe FX XL+ version or the AX8 version with the IR's.

For more info feel free to drop a question here or as a PM.
I'd LOVE to see/hear some clips with these presets!

Bay Area Metal Giants Vol.2 is OUT NOW!

This pack included 142! new presets from the 6 most recent Metallica albums.

Vol.2 features a folder with bonus live tones from a couple different sources.
I think they turned out just perfect!

To purchase this pack transfer 35 euros to this PayPal account: jonsymonsutrecht@hotmail.com or via paypal.me/guitarjon

Vol.1 and Vol.2 combined now have a whopping 274 presets to offer, made with great care!

I hope you guys enjoy these!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi Jon, I was one of the many people that asked if you would release your Metallica presets on Quantum - thanks a lot for not giving up on this project...I actually bought a Fender Jim Root after watching one of your older Metallica tonematch videos a few years ago, can’t wait to try it out with these new presets (just bought this Vol 1 pack). Keep up the good work with Sonic Drive Studios- definitely one of the best channels on YouTube for metal guitarists.

Hi Jon, I was one of the many people that asked if you would release your Metallica presets on Quantum - thanks a lot for not giving up on this project...I actually bought a Fender Jim Root after watching one of your older Metallica tonematch videos a few years ago, can’t wait to try it out with these new presets (just bought this Vol 1 pack). Keep up the good work with Sonic Drive Studios- definitely one of the best channels on YouTube for metal guitarists.

Thanks so much for your kind words!
I appreciate it.

Enjoy the presets!

Just bought the pack and I'm like an five years old boy when chritmass is coming. You wasn't obliged to do it, but you spent your time tweaking presets for this amazing gift! Huge thanks from France. Tuck you in, warm within, Keep you free from sin, Till Guitarjon presets coming!

Just bought the pack and I'm like an five years old boy when chritmass is coming. You wasn't obliged to do it, but you spent your time tweaking presets for this amazing gift! Huge thanks from France. Tuck you in, warm within, Keep you free from sin, Till Guitarjon presets come!

Haha awesome!
Enjoy man!

Thanks everybody for the support so far!
It means a lot!

Just so you guys know, the ' early adopter ' option will expire Friday morning.
From that day on the price will be 35 euros.

Hi John I have been using and testing the Black Album tones and sound really good, my question is regarding the Clean tones, I have an AX8 and the clean tones are very low of volume, I tried what you said increasing the 10 DB in the cab Level but is not enough, I don't want to mess up the tone affecting the volume of the amp or master volume, what you recommend me to fix this?

Back
Top Bottom