Axe-FX XL vs. FX8 4CM

Ax-Fx

I am on the wait list for the FX8 and have a Mark I Axe-fx currently. I know the noise level is super quiet with the FX8, however how does the XL+ compare when using the effects in 4CM with humbusters and a tube amp? Thank you for everyone who is providing feedback on the FX8 and AX8 for us who have not yet received our invite!!!

This comes up every day, it seems.

Cliff: "The XL+ shares the same amazing low-noise architecture of the FX-8. I regularly use my XL+ in 4CM as this is part of the modeling process. It's the quietest device I've ever tried in 4CM."

This comes up every day, it seems.

Cliff: "The XL+ shares the same amazing low-noise architecture of the FX-8. I regularly use my XL+ in 4CM as this is part of the modeling process. It's the quietest device I've ever tried in 4CM."

Thanks Yek, I apologize for asking a redundant question.

I thought there were pages and pages where we were told that the cost of the FX8 was for opamps that make it quieter and better than the XL+ pr Ax8 in 4cm. A lot of us asked as the Fx8 has much less power under the hood then the Ax8 and XL+, and we were told that the cost was due to the Fx8's optimized circuitry that was not shared by the XL + or the Ax8. ... It was the whole selling point for the Fx8.

I thought there were pages and pages where we were told that the cost of the FX8 was for opamps that make it quieter and better than the XL+ pr Ax8 in 4cm. A lot of us asked as the Fx8 has much less power under the hood then the Ax8 and XL+, and we were told that the cost was due to the Fx8's optimized circuitry that was not shared by the XL + or the Ax8. ... It was the whole selling point for the Fx8.

No, you're totally misquoting statements AFAIK. Correct me if I'm wrong and provide a link.
There have never statements been made about the FX8's circuitry being better than the XL+'s.
The FX8 works better than the AX8 in 4CM.

Literally, in the past year this topic has peppered the forums with many of us trying to get a straight answer. From my threads and posts by others this was a topic that I spent a lot of time researching when I was on the fence between buying the FX8 and the XL+. I asked questions, others asked questions, and I even had a rant about ambiguity and lack of clarity that Cliff answered making it seem like, for me, and many others, that the FX8 was the only Fractal product designed with optimized circuitry for 4cm (this was in the
AX8 Price Point - At what price do you get upset? thread.) Then even some moderators were stating that the FX8 was a Fractal first in its optimized circuitry for 4CM, while the XL+ was optimized for going direct in and not 4CM with a tube amp.

I don't link threads for you because there are too many. We have discussed this looking for a straight answer ad nauseum within this forum, getting frustrated. In retrospect Cliff's answer may have been just about the AX8, though other moderators definitely stated that the FX8 was a first as it optimized for 4cm and that it is the only Fractal product specifically optimized for 4cm. Cliff made it sound like he had to think up a new design specifically for the FX8 as it is not in any other product.

If the XL+ does have the same circuitry as the FX8, what I find deeply frustrating is that in the very threads where I complained about ambiguity in regards to information about this circuitry, and Cliff made an answer that made all of us speak at length about how the FX8 has optimized circuity and Opamps the XL+ doesn't have, including moderators, and this was not once corrected by anyone at Fractal? When some of these very threads had some of us stating that we would prefer to buy the XL+ over FX8 if it wasn't for the FX8's sound quality? This is not some lone post, this was a top topic of discussion many times in these forums! Some of us even stating that we have to buy both a FX8 and a XL+ to get the best of both worlds, and not once did any one step in to say that the XL+ actually has the same circuitry ???????? I would have bough the XL+ had I gotten this straight answer.

We went on for months (and moderators also added to this perception perhaps not knowing the circuitry is actually the same??) and made purchase decisions based on the FX8's optimized circuitry that supposedly no other Fractal product have and now you say that the XL+ actually has it?????

Where was anyone when pages and pages of posts were written stating that the FX8 has optimized circuitry that the XL+ doesn't have?

Last edited:
In addition to the signal path, there are other considerations. The XL+ does not offer True Bypass, nor does it offer additional relay outputs for amp channel switching. So, we are back to the statement that the FX8 has additional circuitry optimized for 4CM. The True Bypass can be applied to the Pre stage, Post stage, or Both. Giving more flexibility when using 4CM.

Is the XL the same as the XL+ when it comes to 4CM circuitry? Tried to find the answer to this on the wiki the other day but failed...

From my experience, both units have the same amount of hum, which is largely controlled by the hum buster cables.

The fx8 has noticeably less hiss compared to the fx2XL when placed in front of a preamp that has its gain set quite high. If you only use preamps set to clean, you won't hear hiss with either unit.

In addition to the signal path, there are other considerations. The XL+ does not offer True Bypass, nor does it offer additional relay outputs for amp channel switching. So, we are back to the statement that the FX8 has additional circuitry optimized for 4CM. The True Bypass can be applied to the Pre stage, Post stage, or Both. Giving more flexibility when using 4CM.

Can it therefore be correctly assumed that the I/O that is common to both platforms is of a common physical architecture ?

That's what I thought also, based on the threads around here and what I've seen....

FWIW - I can tell you that I've used my AX8 in 4CM recently, and while I don't have the FX8 any longer to directly compare...I found there is very little difference between them. The AX8 worked well with my tube amp.

That's what I thought also, based on the threads around here and what I've seen....

FWIW - I can tell you that I've used my AX8 in 4CM recently, and while I don't have the FX8 any longer to directly compare...I found there is very little difference between them. The AX8 worked well with my tube amp.
Great feedback, thanks!

I've been thinking of going the opposite. Unloading my fx8for axe-fx2.
Interesting. I have a Mark I and am wondering if I should just upgrade to the XL+. Are you needing more CPU/more complex presets? Any experience on the noise level of the XL+ in 4CM?

Literally, in the past year this topic has peppered the forums with many of us trying to get a straight answer....
I feel ya. I read and took part in a lot of those threads.

In that one thread you linked above, Cliff said this:
The AX-8 will not work as well as the FX-8 in 4CM. It is not designed for that. It will do 4CM, as will most digital processors but the FX-8 is the only processor of which I'm aware that is truly optimized for 4CM. That optimization requires a lot of expensive circuitry. The op-amps used are very expensive and there's dozens of them just to support the 4CM stuff. Add to that relays for true bypass, metal film capacitors, etc., etc., and you end up with an expensive design.

I'll just zero in on this one sentence...:
the FX-8 is the only processor of which I'm aware that is truly optimized for 4CM.

Now I'll circle back to Yek's more recent comment in this thread:
Correct me if I'm wrong and provide a link. There have never statements been made about the FX8's circuitry being better than the XL+'s.

To be fair, the context for Cliff's comment involved justifying the relatively high price of FX8 compared to AX8. No-one was talking about XL+ in that thread. Some folks just thought AX8 'should' have cost a lot more since it also has amp cabs and an extra DSP inside. I think Cliff was just trying to make the guys who just bought FX8 feel better about their purchase after the AX8 price was announced.

All of this still leaves us with the same old question - is FX8 exactly the same as XL+ for 4CM???.

Thanks Joe for reminding us FX8 has relays for amp channel switching and True Bypass, but those have nothing to do with 4CM

Interesting. I have a Mark I and am wondering if I should just upgrade to the XL+. Are you needing more CPU/more complex presets? Any experience on the noise level of the XL+ in 4CM?

No I just decided I'm sick of tube amps and all the little quirks they come with. I want a simple quick rick. 4cm is a pain in the but setting up and breaking down. Just bought an ax xl+, MFC mkiii, and an atomic clr neo. Done! Minimal cables and minimal lugging and set up.

Back
Top Bottom