Axe FX VS Tc Electronics G-Force

dank311

Ive been trying to decide on getting a used G-Force (I can find one for around $800) VS a new axe-FX. Its seem most think the axe fx is overall better.

What can the axe fx do that the G-force cant?(besides amp modeling)

Do both have seemless midi switching for live use?

Can you but both in stopbox mode to where you can turn offf and on different effects in each patch(kinda like the G-system)?

I know alot of famous sounds come from the older tc electronics fx like their delays, reverbs, chorus/flangers....How do the Axe FX effects sound compared to those on the G-force?

Which one is easier to program user presets?

Most of the bands I play have a wide range of tone and most use an array of effects in their rig, so for my style I tend to shoot for the same sounds. Here are a small list of bands and styles I like to maybe aid in your advice:
311, incubus, pink floyd, zepplin, grateful dead, circa survive, deftones, hendrix, killswitch engagne, metallica, a perfect circle, tool, smashing pumpkins, etc....The G-force draws me in b/c its a bit cheaper, and alot of the bands I like use the G-force or other TCE units in their rig. But the axe fx also has the amp modeling thing going for it...but then again, Ive though about getting the g-force first, and just adding the axe fx later, but just didnt know if it would be redudant and if Id end up selling one.

The G Force doesn't have distortion/OD/boost type pedals that you can actually use.....G Force doesn't have any good compressors.....G force isn't as flexible what so ever...G Force is at least 10 year old technology.

The Axe Fx is the latest and the greatest in processing power and effects on it are abundant and stellar...there is no comparison other than price and if you just need something to wet your weenie only....if an unlimited pallet of colors is what you want that is easy to use...there is no comparison.

In short...BUY AN AXE FX STANDARD! ;)

I owned a G-force....it's a toy compared to the Axe. The G-force isn't even 1/10th of what the Axe is...almost every effect the g force has the axe does better.

Buy the AxeFX, you won't regret it.

I havent actually owned a G-Force (one of my best friends has one, & Ive heard it in action), but I have owned a G-System for years. They both sound very similar, but the G-System is a bit cleaner due to sligtly better (newer tech) processors.

I loved my G-System, but overall the Axe-Fx kills it, sound-wise.

Ive never been a devotee to any brands particular sounds. To me, a good delay is a good delay, same goes for chorus, reverb, etc....
If you love the classic sounds of the TC effects & expect that from the Axe-Fx, you will be slightly disappointed. But if you just want pristine effects and are not concerned that the Fractal doesnt have the character of TC, Eventide, etc...You really cant go wrong with the Fractal Axe-Fx.

Yes, its alot more expensive than a used G-Force, but its also alot more machine.
Brand new, the G-force & Axe-fx are pretty close, price-wise. I honestly cant understand how TC can still sell new G-Forces for $1500.00... Waaaaay over-priced. A great piece in its day, but out-classed now. They really should be selling them (brand new)for around $800-1000.00 at this point.

These are all just my opinions.

As a bonus, you get excellent amp sims with the Fractal.

I had a G-Force and a G-System. For some reason I never really like the sound them. Plus TC's buggy firmware, *slow* fixes, and poor customer support really didn't impress me. I sold both and have my been very happy with my Axe-FX ever since.

I was going to give a comparison but it has been done many times before just do a google search.

Here is one:
http://www.setbb.com/axefx/viewtopic.ph ... orum=axefx

And yes, you can use the Axe-FX in stomp box mode.

I used to own a G-Force, too. Sold it when I got my Ultra - never looked back!
The Ultra does everything the G-Force did, only much better and sooooo much more. So, get an Axe-Fx you won't regret it, promise!

Gearhead said:
I used to own a G-Force, too. Sold it when I got my Ultra - never looked back!
The Ultra does everything the G-Force did, only much better and sooooo much more. So, get an Axe-Fx you won't regret it, promise!

+1

I've owned a g-force, still own a g-major. No competition IMO. I like the Axe-fx better in every aspect regarding sound.The g-major has a slight edge in ease of programming, but it is at the cost of flexibility and depth.

If you use the amp models there is a brief < 30ms dropout on the axe-fx. I haven't measured it w/o an amp model selected. I imagine it is probably near instantaneous.

There are a lot of things the Axe-fx does the the gforce does not
Here are the main features of the axe-fx:
http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index. ... comparison

Look on the TC website for it's features.

Also you can modify the effect parameters at a much deeper level on the Axe-fx

OverAmp said:
I owned a G-force....it's a toy compared to the Axe. The G-force isn't even 1/10th of what the Axe is...almost every effect the g force has the axe does better.

Buy the AxeFX, you won't regret it.
+1 Not in the same league period.

#1 for me, even before the Axe FX was available, is there is no Modulating Delay on the G force. (or any other current TC product except the D2). Pretty freaking stupid to leave that off if you ask me. Especially since the original 2290 had it and is so sought after.

Right away it wasn't useful to me.

There is nothing that comes to mind that some other unit does that the Axe FX can't do. The only other unit that I have in my rack is a Korg A3. It's only used for the autowah on Mysterious ways. Axe FX does do a version of it though. I just like the A3 version better cause it's "right" with no tweaking.

Just get an Axe Fx .... buy once cry once.

Yea, I have read tons of reviews, you tube vids, and forums on both of these units as well as others, even the link above about the g-system vs AFX. The Axe fx is definately ahead as far as technology, flexibility, and upgrades. Im really leaning towards getting the axe fx, but I want to make sure that its the sound that Im after. Like someone noted here, TCE has its own characteristics as far as their effects go. I have heard both in vids, and both sound amazing, but Im unable to hear either one in person. I dont know anyone in the TN area that has either. Most people around here just use stompboxes.

Some of my favorite tones I am after are the effects in tim mahoney's rig in 311. Im not trying to replicate his rig, but I love alot of the dreamy sounds he gets with his reverbs/delays. They sound very lush and prestine. But I know he uses Lexicon PCM 42, and PCM 60 for for his main delays and reverbs, and they sound amazing. The majority of his effects are from those two racks and numerous analog pedals (has pretty much two of every effect). Like I said, I dont want to replicate his rig as its complex, and has alot of custom midi strips to control his racks and pedals, and is very expensive. So I am trying to make a simplier version of this that can also work from other sounds/tones I like from the other spectrum of bands I like.

One of my BIGGEST CONCERNS is the Delays and reverbs!!!
Alot of other bands I like I have seen them use the G-force before, and I know from records and live shows from these bands that they also sound fantastic. But Im sure the axe fx can nail these sounds if not better. But I have heard a few times on forums that the delays and reverbs on the axe fx kinda lack in comparison to Lexicon and TC electronics.
Can anyone comment on this????
I use delays/reverbs more often than anything else.

I realize each unit is going to have its own characteristics, but I honestly dont know if I will be able to tell a difference unless I demo them side by side. Im thinking the axe fx might be the best choice for me, but I just want to make sure its going I can achieve alot of the sounds Im looking for. But like I stated earlier, as far as all the other features and capabilites, it is far beyond most effect processors out ther today in its price range.

Many have found that while TC, Lexicon, Eventide, and others have a certain character to them, the Axe-Fx is just clean & pristine - especially on reverbs & delays. I think Fractals lack of any sonic signature is one of its biggest assets. Others that have grown to love "that certain something" that comes from thier favorite gear may disagree.

As far as the Fractals reverbs & delays lacking...? I seriously doubt it. I feel they are every bit as good as my G-System was. At least.
Does the reverb compare to high end stand-alone units such as Bricasti & others that cost twice as much as the Axe-Fx...? Couldnt tell you, because Ive never tried them.

Cliff Chase made a very useable clone of the PCM70 concert hall reverb. I like it alot. I use it on many of my patches now.

I had a Gforce. It's IMO nothing compared to AxeFX. The main reason I sold it and kept searching, ending up with AxeFX, was the pitch shifting. It's no good on the Gforce.

The reason you see so many TC units on famous rigs (for some reason the metallica boys has been using G majors...) I think is because it's well known, it's high quality and relatively easy to program. The AxeFX is in another league in my opinion.

IMO Gforce and those units are in a mid quality territory, while AxeFX and Eventide and those are on the top.

If you're really serious about quality, AFX is the way to go. If you don't really need it to sound the best, get a cheaper one and spend the money on something else.

dank311 said:
One of my BIGGEST CONCERNS is the Delays and reverbs!!!
Alot of other bands I like I have seen them use the G-force before, and I know from records and live shows from these bands that they also sound fantastic. But Im sure the axe fx can nail these sounds if not better. But I have heard a few times on forums that the delays and reverbs on the axe fx kinda lack in comparison to Lexicon and TC electronics.
Can anyone comment on this????
I use delays/reverbs more often than anything else.

Lacking? Lacking how? Complete bullshit.

I've owned every decent delay unit known to man. It's the basis of what I do in my gigging life. (U2 Tribute ... duh). I have a TC2290, the absolute holy grail of delay units, that is collecting dust. If the Axe FX can do what the 2290 does, there's nothing it can't do sonically. I had an eventide Eclipse in my rack that was the first thing to go the day my Axe FX arrived. This was on firmware 2.01. Firmware 8.xx is now out ... I'm still using 5.13 in gigging unit and it works just fine.

Maybe the ease and versatility of the Axe FX isn't for you. Go ahead and build a rack rig instead. Use a switching system. You'll need a switchblade ($1900) to even start to replicate the flexibility of the Axe FX. Then buy a 14 space rack. Then a lexicon for reverb ($500+?). Then a TC2290 for delay ($1400ish). A whole pile of stomp boxes ($500 or so). Something like a Mod pro (if you can find one on Ebay) for flange and chorus sounds. Then wire it all up and fight the inevitable ground loops and hums between the units. You still won't have a way to do a crystals or shimmer sounds. Fool with your amp for 6 months, changing tubes trying to find "your sound". Sell that amp. Repeat with the next amp. Wish you had the other one back a month after you sold it. At soundcheck spend 30 minutes with the sound guy trying to get a good mic placement on your cab so that it sounds as good as it did last week in Chicago. Move the mic four inches to the left .... nope back to the right.... repeat ad nauseum until the rest of the band is pissed off. Do that EVERY SHOW. Shit now there's a bad cable in the bowels of the rack. The Reverb was working yesterday ... WTF? Wonder why you never quite seem to get your patches volume leveled. Your clean never cuts through.... the rhythm patch was great but when you solo it tears the head off that cute chick in the front row .... she leaves before the show is over. You don't get laid.

That's your first six months.... have fun.

Or shut up and buy the friggin Axe FX. Tweak your presets (ya gotta do that with whatever else you get too) and play with consistent signal paths all the time. Rock out. Pack up in 15 minutes. Leave with the girl.

Your choice.

So, basically it all boils down to this...

Axe-Fx = sex with the cute chick in the front row.

Sounds like a no-brainer to me! I gotta start playing out... :lol:

supersecretjim said:
So, basically it all boils down to this...

Axe-Fx = sex with the cute chick in the front row.

Sounds like a no-brainer to me! I gotta start playing out... :lol:

Playing out is a good start. Unless you have chicks in rows in front of your living room sofa.

Back
Top Bottom