Axe-FX III Tri Chorus vs. Fulltone TERC

hippietim

Axe-Master
So I spent a bunch of time experimenting with the Tri Chorus in the III and it really is fantastic. I own a Fulltone TERC which is a clone of an early Dyno My Piano. The III gets it done. It's fantastic. You can actually do more than the real thing with the III - you can have a higher depth and change the delay time. The only thing missing is the Preset mode and of course the ability to have the Preset and Manual modes on at the same time.

The most important thing about doing the Tri Chorus right is that sort of transition that happens once you get a little passed noon on the individual intensity controls for LCR. Basically they seem to act as three individual wet/dry controls so when they cross a certain point they're more wet and have more intense vibrato.

I actually recorded a clip on my MacBook because it was handy after redoing my previous video disaster. So I fired up Garageband which I've never used before. Holy crap, Garageband sucks hard. None of this is relevant to the fact that there's no clip in this post because I didn't notice that I was clipping the inputs on my I/O. I'll redo it tomorrow night because I'm on my way out the door to go play tonight. Cheers.

So I spent a bunch of time experimenting with the Tri Chorus in the III and it really is fantastic. I own a Fulltone TERC which is a clone of an early Dyno My Piano. The III gets it done. It's fantastic. You can actually do more than the real thing with the III - you can have a higher depth and change the delay time. The only thing missing is the Preset mode and of course the ability to have the Preset and Manual modes on at the same time.

The most important thing about doing the Tri Chorus right is that sort of transition that happens once you get a little passed noon on the individual intensity controls for LCR. Basically they seem to act as three individual wet/dry controls so when they cross a certain point they're more wet and have more intense vibrato.

I actually recorded a clip on my MacBook because it was handy after redoing my previous video disaster. So I fired up Garageband which I've never used before. Holy crap, Garageband sucks hard. None of this is relevant to the fact that there's no clip in this post because I didn't notice that I was clipping the inputs on my I/O. I'll redo it tomorrow night because I'm on my way out the door to go play tonight. Cheers.

Bring on that clip. :)

I just got home a bit ago so I did a quick clip before I crash. Clams are free. That's right. Free!

I've attached the patch - Pedal 2 is set to toggle between the III Tri Chorus and a loop via In/Out 2.

Attachments

• Tri Chorus vs TERC.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 17
Amazingly similar. Stock settings on the chorus block, or did you dial it in?

Not exactly the same sound to my ears. Fulltone Sounds a little bit cleaner, hard to discribe. But both sound amazing. First time I hear the Landau-Chorus in that quality in an AxeFx. WANNAHHAVEIT. Sigh......

There is difference , probably because Fractal modelled another model than the TERC is based on.....but nonetheless : sounds great and looking forward trying it out...once it arrives in EU...:)

Not exactly the same sound to my ears. Fulltone Sounds a little bit cleaner, hard to discribe. But both sound amazing. First time I hear the Landau-Chorus in that quality in an AxeFx. WANNAHHAVEIT. Sigh......

That’s interesting because to my ears the Fulltone is the dirtier one by just a tiny bit. Some of the differences could be from crappy playing in the middle of the night.

It’s pretty tricky to get them to sound the same. Knob positions don’t quite work because the Fulltone has real pots with whatever the sweep and range is and the III has whatever Cliff chose. But when you set them in the ballpark you get pretty similar results. Once you turn the knobs on the Fulltone past 1 or 2 they become less subtle and the III does mimic that well.

To me the only thing missing is being able to use the Preset mode on the Fulltone (they all have this). It’s a slow and subtle chorus but it’s a great sound. That by itself is not too interesting, but you can have both the Preset and Manual modes at the same time which is really cool.

In any case, I think it’s clear that the Tri Chorus in the III is really stellar and will be a regular choice for me. And my Fulltone is going to be sold.

Preset mode is just a set of fixed settings. It's nothing that can't be dialed in by hand. Work on it and you can find these.

Yeah, that’s why I said it wasn’t too interesting to worry about by itself. But Preset and Manual mode together is not something I’ve not been able to do on the III. I have not tried two chorus blocks though - unless I am missing something, that’s the only way to do it on the III.

Preset and Manual mode together is not something I’ve not been able to do on the III.

One thing's for sure: this combo does not change the number of voices. The only things it can adjust are RATE, DEPTH and possibly MIX (I highly doubt this last one!). I stopped being bothered with it when I realized I was dialing in better sounds on the III than on the real songbird TSC.

One thing's for sure: this combo does not change the number of voices. The only things it can adjust are RATE, DEPTH and possibly MIX (I highly doubt this last one!). I stopped being bothered with it when I realized I was dialing in better sounds on the III than on the real songbird TSC.

...and that’s why my Fulltone will be hitting the chopping block.

The III can do more anyhow because the depth can be higher and the ability to tweak the delay time.

Back
Top Bottom