Axe-Fx II Quantum Rev 3.00 Public Beta

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
Mark I/II:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/Quantum/3.0/axefx2_Quantum_3p00beta.syx

XL:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/Quantum/3.0/axefx2_xl_Quantum_3p00beta.syx

XL+:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/Quantum/3.0/axefx2_xlplus_Quantum_3p00beta.syx

Not a big change from 2.04. The power amp modeling is slightly improved. The biggest change is the operation of the Dynamic Presence control. Transformers interact with the speaker. When the transformer is driven hard this interaction changes. It's dependent upon the transformer, the speaker and even the cable to some degree. The net effect is that the high frequencies are boosted but it's a dynamic boost.

Turn up the Dynamic Presence knob and you'll hear the effect of the interaction. Amps with small transformers connected to certain speakers tend to really do it but, like I said, it depends on the speaker so I made it adjustable. For example, our AC-20 Deluxe into a Celestion G12T-75 exhibits significant interaction but into a Jensen C12 does it much less. Our 50W Plexis do it a bit but our 100W Plexi doesn't. Amps with "big iron" don't really do it much. Amps with small transformers that are easily overdriven do it. So... use your ears. As you turn it up you'll hear the transformer "grind". It's a sort of scratchy, gritty but cool sound.

Very cool!
Will that interaction dependent on speakers also translate somehow to cab pack cabinets as well?
I'm thinking it wouldn't & also thinking how much work it was to do each stock cab, if indeed each one had to have programming added.

Your hard work is truly a blessing for us!

Damn, I knew this would happen ... had to leave town, and BAM! Q3.0b! Fudge-almighty!

I'm jealous ... so jealous ... all this anticipation, interesting discussion and I cannot play. I'll have to live vicariously through you guys until I get back home. Share love folks, share the love.

<snip>
Amps with small transformers that are easily overdriven do it. So... use your ears. As you turn it up you'll hear the transformer "grind". It's a sort of scratchy, gritty but cool sound.

Is this the same grit when xformer match is lowered (under 1.0, e.g. 0.750)? Except it's dynamic (meaning that the harder you strike the strings for a given setting, you get more of it because you're loading the "system"/transformer)?

Back
Top Bottom