Axe FX II Live Rigs

In pictures:

Shown for more recent pedal controller setup (home studio setup):

Picture8.jpg

Scott, I'm sure i've missed the thread when you talked about it, but what size pedaltrain is that? Is that the 2? That looks to be PERFECT size for my setup.

edit: Oh and to stay on topic. I use my Axe straight to FOH on output 1, and then output 2 to either in-ear (small stages) or EV ZX1 stage monitor for my on stage monitoring. Sounds really good both ways. WIth the in-ear i just put 1 in(closest to drummer) so i have more me in one ear, and whole band in the other.

Last edited:
I think that's the pro wake. I think the pt2 hold just two pedals on it with the mfc. I could be wrong though...

yes that's a pedaltrain Pro, if you look a couple of earlier post in this thread you'll see my pedaltrain 2.

In pictures:

What was:

Axe-FX-Clips-Recording-Setu.jpg

That is remarkably similar to what I'm using right now. No pictures but its:

Axe (in a 4 space rack with a few other things)
Randall RT 2 50 in its own rack because it weighs a ton
Egnater 2x12
Controlled with a rocktron all access and 2 boss expression pedals.

Scott, I'm sure i've missed the thread when you talked about it, but what size pedaltrain is that? Is that the 2? That looks to be PERFECT size for my setup.

edit: Oh and to stay on topic. I use my Axe straight to FOH on output 1, and then output 2 to either in-ear (small stages) or EV ZX1 stage monitor for my on stage monitoring. Sounds really good both ways. WIth the in-ear i just put 1 in(closest to drummer) so i have more me in one ear, and whole band in the other.

I think that's the pro wake. I think the pt2 hold just two pedals on it with the mfc. I could be wrong though...

yes that's a pedaltrain Pro, if you look a couple of earlier post in this thread you'll see my pedaltrain 2.

Just confirming - yes it is the Pro.

I have the axe II running in to 2xmarshall jvm410 amps. And a marshall. 4x12 1960 cab in stereo mode.
Only using the power amp section in amps.
Mostly playing whitesnake, lizzy and judas priest.

Have tried. Marshall el84 20/20 in my rack and it worked fine fore me. Will buy one when i have the money needed :)

In some way i just need the cab behind me...
But who knows, maybe some day il try wedge :)

Yeas, it's great to be able to do a comparison and have a reference.
But it surprises me that you switched off power amp sim., using that Rocktron.

Well the rocktron has some characteristics of a tube power amp despite it being a SS. I run the reactance and definition knobs at about 4 each on it.

The bottomline is in the recorded A/B tests, the power amp simulation was adding color that wasn't beneficial and was moving the tone away from the recorded Cornford tracks. The biggest thing was the cab sims though, they really needed to go.

The bottomline is in the recorded A/B tests, the power amp simulation was adding color that wasn't beneficial and was moving the tone away from the recorded Cornford tracks. The biggest thing was the cab sims though, they really needed to go.
No offence intended, but one of the biggest paradigm shifts with the Axe is that it DOESN'T behave like an amp/cab combo. It behaves like a recorded version of them. Many folks start with the Axe by trying to recreate the preset/patches/sounds they had with their former rig. That IMHO is NOT the best approach, but it IS a common one.

Somehow, cutting out BOTH the amp/cab sims strikes me as being counter-productive. Other than its STELLAR effects, the best part of the Axe is HAVING the flexibility of massive tonal range by USING the amp AND cab sims. Not all owners go that route however.

Yes, it's your tone, but if you want a Cornford, wouldn't it be easier to just PLAY the one sitting there?

No offence intended, but one of the biggest paradigm shifts with the Axe is that it DOESN'T behave like an amp/cab combo. It behaves like a recorded version of them. Many folks start with the Axe by trying to recreate the preset/patches/sounds they had with their former rig. That IMHO is NOT the best approach, but it IS a common one.

Somehow, cutting out BOTH the amp/cab sims strikes me as being counter-productive. Other than its STELLAR effects, the best part of the Axe is HAVING the flexibility of massive tonal range by USING the amp AND cab sims. Not all owners go that route however.

Yes, it's your tone, but if you want a Cornford, wouldn't it be easier to just PLAY the one sitting there?

No offense taken and none to you either but most of your post seems to be made to tell me why I am wrong. You've misunderstood the purpose of my doing what I did. "Nailing" the Cornford sound was simply a test so that I could familiarize myself with dialing in the unit and my rig. The main purpose of using the amp was for a basic reference. The main goal wasn't to nail the Cornford tone, (that was simply done to see if I could do it) but to try and figure out why the AXE FX was sounding the way it did through my power amp and cab and recording tracks with the head did the job perfectly.

I am using my cab for live use I disagree with you about the poweramp sims and particularily the cab sims. I found using the cab sims on top of a real cab to color the tone in an almost out of phase way that was not fixable by eq. Regardless of the cab model. The tone was so far off of a head driven tone (whether it was my Cornford or my Marshall JCM800 or my Carvin etc) that it prompted me to hook up a head and do some A/Bing. As to why I don't just "play the Cornford" I don't see how that's relevant or important. Maybe I want the versatility, maybe I'm selling the head, it doesn't matter. If the pw amp sims and cab sims work for you then by all means use them, why tell someone you can't understand why they did something they just said works well for them? I trust my ears and I know of no better tools.

Last edited:
I've taken the cab sims out of my backline sound - but I use quasi-guitar speakers (see below). (I leave cabs in the FOH sound, which I've already auditioned and tweaked using studio reference monitors.) I also use the same setup for bass - with two 2x12 closed back cabs loaded with E112's. This seems to work best without cab sims. But it depends... sometimes I turn them back on and use different cabs to make different sounds. I let my ears do the deciding.

But I do try to keep the amount of gear I'm carrying down to a minimum - which is why I bought the Axe in the first place. If you can get the sound you want by simply turning off the cab sims, then that's great! It's a tool which allows me to try out radical ideas without getting an hernia. (It's also brilliant for recreating sounds developed on Logic during recording sessions. In fact I've now taken to recording two tracks for each guitar: one dry, the other a sound created purely in the Axe and stored in Bank C.)

But I'm not one of the FRFR monitor guys. I'm partly there - and the Axe was brilliant on the times I did use it through a monitor. I also love the AC30 sounds - as I have a 1963 trem. But I'm not going to A/B them - they're both very cool and I don't want to risk deafness.

My setup is FOH with KS CPA1M floor monitors. It's a german high end PA company. Sounds is top notch, I play it stereo. If you have questions about my setup I'll be glad to answer.
View attachment 10028

I love the KS systems. Most have never had an opportunity to play through a KS PA system. (Very expensive). I currently own a KS System for band rehearsal. I imagine your sound is amazing through this gear.

That it Axe and whatever Monitor is there but if im using my own its a qsc k12.2 or sometimes jbl eon612

Attachments

• axe rig.jpg
    axe rig.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Here's what I'm rocking these days. Pretty damn simple compared to what I used to use.

I'm going direct to FOH. We go back and fourth between using live cabs or not. I suppose its good for smaller venues for the people super close to the stage. I never mic up a cab anymore. I was using the second output of my Matrix amp to power a custom 2x12 speaker cabinet shaped as a monitor wedge, but since I started using in-ear monitors I stopped using it.

ESP loaded with Fishman Fluence Pickups
SIT Strings (10, 13, 17, 30, 42, 62)

EV Wireless System
AxeFX II / MFC-101 with Mission Expression Pedals
Matrix GT1000FX Amplifier
Peavey speaker cabinet loaded with Celestion V30's

Attachments

• IMG_8873.JPG
    IMG_8873.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 66
Axe 2 XL+ to FOH with a Mission Engineering Gemini2 212 FRFR cab, which most guys on here don't like for some reason lol. I use it as a backline monitor because I want the FOH tones to be as close as possible to what I am hearing. The ME cab is a real frikkin cab and so are the sims going to it I don't care what any tube purists say!!! It will shake the snake for sure!
About to buy a 2nd one soon

Direct to FOH. I and my band are IEM - quiet stage. I do have a pair of CLRs set up as a backline for times when we need a little projection off the stage (certain clubs where people are close to the stage and the mains are flying overhead or something like that) or if we are doing rock where I want to get natural feedback.
The IEM sound is the best for me though. I can hear everything perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom