AX8 Beginner's Guide - Premium Video

chris

Owner's Manual Reader
I've just finished creating a Beginner's Guide video for the AX8. Due to the amount of content, I am offering it as a premium video for purchase available here: https://axefxtutorials.selz.com/item/ax8-bg

You can view a trailer for the video at that link or below:

This comprehensive Beginner's Guide video is intended for those new to Fractal Audio products or the AX8 and modelers in general, though some who are already using the AX8 might learn some of the fundamentals they may be missing. This 1 hr 40 min video is designed to explain things right at the beginning of your AX8 experience, rather than quickly skipping over basic concepts only to lead to more questions later. That said, this is intended to be a beginner's guide and can't possibly cover everything in detail. Look for future videos covering smaller topics in-depth.

In the video I introduce the AX8 and cover the following topics:
  • Overview of the Knobs, Buttons, and Switches on the top panel
  • How to connect your guitar and Full-Range speakers
  • How to navigate basic screens and menus
  • Presets defined and how to change and rearrange Presets
  • How to use the existing Footswitches in the Factory Presets to engage and bypass blocks
  • How to edit Factory Presets
  • Make your first preset from scratch
  • How to use the built-in VU meter to balance your Preset volumes
  • A brief look at XY Switching, Scenes and AX8-Edit

--EDIT--
I am switching from Gumroad back to Selz for my CDN. Gumroad was simple and easy to use, but I can't organize things the way I want to. So back to Selz, which I actually had no issues with. Just wanted to try Gumroad.

Last edited:
I've just finished creating a Beginner's Guide video for the AX8. Due to the amount of content, I am offering it as a premium video for purchase available here: https://gum.co/ax8-bg

You can view a trailer for the video at that link or below:

This comprehensive Beginner's Guide video is intended for those new to Fractal Audio products or the AX8 and modelers in general, though some who are already using the AX8 might learn some of the fundamentals they may be missing. This 1 hr 40 min video is designed to explain things right at the beginning of your AX8 experience, rather than quickly skipping over basic concepts only to lead to more questions later. That said, this is intended to be a beginner's guide and can't possibly cover everything in detail. Look for future videos covering smaller topics in-depth.

In the video I introduce the AX8 and cover the following topics:
  • Overview of the Knobs, Buttons, and Switches on the top panel
  • How to connect your guitar and Full-Range speakers
  • How to navigate basic screens and menus
  • Presets defined and how to change and rearrange Presets
  • How to use the existing Footswitches in the Factory Presets to engage and bypass blocks
  • How to edit Factory Presets
  • Make your first preset from scratch
  • How to use the built-in VU meter to balance your Preset volumes
  • A brief look at XY Switching, Scenes and AX8-Edit

Included with this download is my Axe-Fx II in-depth video on Presets, XY switching and Scenes. The concepts in that video are the same for the AX8 with a few specific exceptions, such as the AX8 only having a single Amp block available, etc.

Let me know if you have any trouble with Gumroad, as I'm trying it for the first time. Thanks!

Thank you so much..my AXE 8 will be here Monday and thats the most welcome I can get..thank you for your efforts and time consuming to help the others..no problem at all.paid with paypal and its ok

Last edited:
Thanks for making this vid . . . I can foresee a pizza and a 2 liter Mountain Dew in my future while I watch this video. However it won't be for a long, long time as I am practically riding in the caboose as far as the wait list goes ( I didn't get on until a week or so ago) . I've seen some of the other stuff you posted on Youtube and really like it. The AX8 looks/sounds great from what I'm seeing on Youtube. I was going back and forth with the idea of the Helix. But after using Line 6 PODs, HD and Vetta amps, etc I am starting to feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football with Lucy "holding" it. It's time for a change.

Thanks everyone. I want to reiterate that it is a long video on purpose. I feel that sometimes we try to just get the answer to our questions quickly and miss fundamentals. Taking some time at the beginning helps you out in the future for sure. I also focus primarily on the Hardware and top panel, as that's what you'll usually work with while on the gig, so this is naturally a bit slower than using AX8-Edit initially. It's just tough when I get urgent private messages like "I'm at the gig how do I bypass a block help!!!!" (True story!)

I plan to make a mix of free and premium videos in the near future that go into more detail on various topics, since this one was mostly an overview for new users :)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I want to reiterate that it is a long video on purpose. I feel that sometimes we try to just get the answer to our questions quickly and miss fundamentals. Taking some time at the beginning helps you out in the future for sure. I also focus primarily on the Hardware and top panel, as that's what you'll usually work with while on the gig.

I plan to make a mix of free and premium videos in the near future that go into more detail on various topics, since this one was mostly an overview for new users :)
Hey Chris, Just bought the video, AX8 gets here tomorrow and as a first time Fractal user its exactly what i needed, thanks :)

I'm gonna pick this up. I just got my AX8 yesterday and had about an hour with it last night. I'm impressed, but I will state as a first time Fractal user, it isn't something you can just turn in and use, at least compared to the Helix I am deciding between.

I'm gonna pick this up. I just got my AX8 yesterday and had about an hour with it last night. I'm impressed, but I will state as a first time Fractal user, it isn't something you can just turn in and use, at least compared to the Helix I am deciding between.
i think the main thing is that FAS gear is just different. we've been trained for years with other modeling gear that no matter what preset we're on, generally things sound the same :) with something as advanced and intricate as FAS modeling, you need to learn a bit more of how it actually works. i feel that learning the controls, then trying factory presets as is, then editing factory presets, then creating your own, etc is a great way to learn the unit.

remember, you are learning both the function of the hardware itself AND how each of the different amps and cabs sound. imagine walking into a guitar shop with over 200 distinct amps and channels. it would take a while to learn how to use each amp, and because they are physical amps, it makes sense to us. it's the same level of quality with FAS modeling. so yes, maybe a bit more time up front, but the results are greater than anything else out there.

Hmmm.... how basic is the video? If I was able to get around the FX8 pretty well (I did so without relying on FX8-Edit much of the time) and have a reasonable understanding of how to build my presets and set up my footswitches, will this be too basic? To put it another way, do you get into some of the deep editing of amps and cabs that I haven't attempted yet?

Your presets were certainly worth $15 to me and I think I'll buy the video as well because I'm sure I will learn something. I'll also have the time to learn something after my surgery Monday. Once I buy the video, is it possible to download it to a tablet or laptop? It might be something to watch while passing time in the hospital when they take away the pain killers. :)

Thanks!

Hmmm.... how basic is the video? If I was able to get around the FX8 pretty well (I did so without relying on FX8-Edit much of the time) and have a reasonable understanding of how to build my presets and set up my footswitches, will this be too basic? To put it another way, do you get into some of the deep editing of amps and cabs that I haven't attempted yet?

Your presets were certainly worth $15 to me and I think I'll buy the video as well because I'm sure I will learn something. I'll also have the time to learn something after my surgery Monday. Once I buy the video, is it possible to download it to a tablet or laptop? It might be something to watch while passing time in the hospital when they take away the pain killers. :)

Thanks!
i feel the topics listed are "basic" topics, nothing like selecting particular amps and making "good" tones, or preset design concepts, footswitch design concepts, etc. i plan on making some of those types of videos soon though. i definitely did not go into deep editing of amps and cabs in this beginner's guide :)

so for someone who can already navigate the unit and make his own presets comfortably, it might be redundant or boring. but yes, you can download it after purchase. for someone like you, you might catch a new tip here and there and while the support is much appreciated, i might wait for some different topics. the AX8 is the first FAS product for many, and since day 1, i've wanted to create a guide from scratch for it.

Back
Top Bottom