AX8 Amp Channel Switching

Mesatallic

Hi,
I've just changed from the FX8 to the AX8.
The FX8 was set up using the 4CM with my Mesa MkV 25 and channel switching via the relays.

I was expecting the AX8 to do the same relay switching.
In Ola Englund's 4CM video he says you can do it by changing the 4 pedal jacks to latching.
I still can't find out how to do it.

Is the only way to use scenes with midi and the RJM Switching Gizmo?

Hi,

The AX8 doesn't have relay outputs. Instead, it has two more expression pedal jacks. If your amp needs a footswitch to change channels, you'll need the Gizmo or something like it.

In Ola Englund's 4CM video he says you can do it by changing the 4 pedal jacks to latching.
I still can't find out how to do it.
Ola is a superb player and tonecrafter, but in this video, he's mistaken about how the AX8's Pedal jacks work.

I've done a gig with my lonestar special, using the AX8. I have a preset set up for this, using 4 cable method. For amp switching I use the VooDoo lab control switcher, sat on the top of the amp, powered by a Pedal Train Volto. Works great. I made up a cable snake, consisting of 3 guitar leads and a Midi cable, held together with bits of heat shrink. So I can also use this cable with the amp and normal effects board, (no AX8), I found some midi to TRS adaptors, which turns the Midi cable into a TRS cable in order to operate the standard Mesa Footswitch.

The AX8 should include relays.

We have paid a premium for the unit, so why drop the feature?

Fractal must know that people may also want use the AX8 in front of an amp.

The AX8 should include relays.

We have paid a premium for the unit, so why drop the feature?
Both the AX8 and the FX8 were introduced at almost the same price. The AX8 got amp modeling. The FX8 got expensive, super-low-noise converters...and relays. :)

The Axe-Xf II XL+ is even higher priced and doesn't have any relays....... It's the Amp modeling that you pay extra for. The FX8 was designed especially for the 4-cable method. It is what it is?

It's very easy to set it up with a midi switch box and not too expensive. Also if it came with 2 extra jacks for relay switching, would you then maybe lose 2 of the external pedal jacks? I bet it would work great with a Mesa TC-50 though.

In Europe AX8 is €1599 and FX8 is €1199
Yes you probably paid for the modeling that is not in the FX8.

FX8 and AX8 are different products. The AX8 isn't a "better version" of the FX8. It never included relay switching for amps. Neither does the Axe-Fx II which is even more expensive.

You would think Fractal would keep the useful features, not take them away.

Relays aren't that expensive. Even make 2 or all of the 4 pedal jacks multi-functional.

Who uses 4 expression pedals on their board any way.

You would think Fractal would keep the useful features, not take them away.

Relays aren't that expensive. Even make 2 or all of the 4 pedal jacks multi-functional.

there are more people who use 4 expression pedals and switches than those who need relays on an amp modeler.

i doubt you can make a 1/4" jack into a relay AND expression AND pedal jack. no gear has every single thing every customer wants all in one.

again, the FX8 is a different product meant to specifically be used with real amps. relay switches make more sense there than on the amp modeling version.

regardless, the relays aren't going to suddenly appear on your AX8. curious why you switched from the FX8 in the first place?

I get why you wish the AX8 had relays. But remember that one of the design goals for both the AX8 and FX8 was to be priced aggressively. To keep that price point, Fractal had to decide what to take off the table. They weren't going to compromise on sound quality, so instead, they gave each unit the features that would be the most helpful for the most users. The FX8 is used almost exclusively by people who play through real tube amps, so the FX8 got the relays. The AX8 is used almost exclusively by people who want smaller rigs and no amps to carry around. Those people have no use for relays. So the AX8 didn't get the relays.

Relays aren't that expensive.
There's the cost of relays, and then there's the cost of the programming to make them work right, and the additional circuitry to control them. Then there's the time and cost of finding space for them on the circuit board and the back panel. The raw parts are a small fraction of the total cost.

There are more people using three or four expression pedals/external switches than there are people using the AX8 with tube amps. :)

The Axe-Xf II XL+ is even higher priced and doesn't have any relays....... It's the Amp modeling that you pay extra for. The FX8 was designed especially for the 4-cable method. It is what it is?
It ain't what it ain't, right?!? Haha! Couldn't resist.

curious why you switched from the FX8 in the first place?

I switched for the amp/cab modeling and 3rd party impulse responses.

Also because I was disappointed with the layout of the FX8 software ie. no 4x12 grid system.

I also wanted to keep my Mesa MkV 25 and change the channels with the AX8.

The Helix and FX8 supports channel switching, so I presumed the AX8 would too and confirmed that it did in Ola's video.
(although now I know it doesn't)

I am trying to keep my rig as compact as possible but I guess the missing relay thing is not such a big deal.

I'll just have to use an external midi switcher. (Or even ditch the Mesa and go all out with FRFR powered monitors)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom