Atomic Amps - "Coincident Linear Reference" Designed by Jay Mitchell

He was banned for stating factual truths, not any controversial opinion. I wouldn't have banned him.

We don't really know and honestly; it is not really subject to this thread.

I will ask that we leave the ancillary speculation on this tangent off this thread, lest it get out of control and end up somewhere it doesn't need to go with accusations and speculation.

This thread is about a new FRFR solution from Atomic that Jay obviously designed. That's what I'd like to see and hear about. The facts are already stated; it's not going to be a productive informational thread beyond that because we do not have access to the 'truth' from the folks involved or the what/why and all that.

So let's drop that tangent please.

If it is designed by Jay, it will have an LCD read out it telling you you are dumb as sh!t and your ear sucks ;)

I don't know Jay personally but based off some of his posts in the past, in a sarcastic sort of way I have to admit this is pretty funny.

I will ask that we leave the ancillary speculation on this tangent off this thread, lest it get out of control and end up somewhere it doesn't need to go with accusations and speculation.

This thread is about a new FRFR solution from Atomic that Jay obviously designed. That's what I'd like to see and hear about. The facts are already stated; it's not going to be a productive informational thread beyond that because we do not have access to the 'truth' from the folks involved or the what/why and all that.

It's not speculation, but agree I will drop the tangent.

I don't know Jay personally but based off some of his posts in the past, in a sarcastic sort of way I have to admit this is pretty funny.

Heh, I was playing a bit to some perceptions of Jay with that comment. I for one actually really liked his posts and thought his, erm, erudition a personality quirk that livened things up. I am looking forward to the new speakers too. :) I actually miss having the guy around, it isn't often you get to learn from someone so good at what they do.

I'm sorry if I may have contributed to the slight "derailing" of this thread, but I couldn't help commenting this post from Scotts:

"Regarding loudspeakers, most of us are dumb as sh*t - especially in relation to a world leading authority like Jay. Love him, hate him, or something in between, he is among a very few individuals who are the last word on everything loudspeaker.
Based on some of the loudspeaker solutions that some folks on this forum rave about it is reasonable to assume that their ears haven't been well trained... ....or maybe even suck as you put it!"

I'm surprised that other members haven't commented on this, or do we all agree that we are "dumb as sh*t" when it comes to speakers and that our ears suck..?
Well, anyway, I'm sure Atomic/Jay Mitchell's product will be really good, and I might buy it too (depending on the price tag and availibility in europe..), but is it really reasonable to think that this new product will make all other speaker cabs (including those that many Axe users are quite happy with right now) sound awful in comparison, like Scotts is implying..?

I'm sorry if I may have contributed to the slight "derailing" of this thread, but I couldn't help commenting this post from Scotts:

"Regarding loudspeakers, most of us are dumb as sh*t - especially in relation to a world leading authority like Jay. Love him, hate him, or something in between, he is among a very few individuals who are the last word on everything loudspeaker.
Based on some of the loudspeaker solutions that some folks on this forum rave about it is reasonable to assume that their ears haven't been well trained... ....or maybe even suck as you put it!"

I'm surprised that other members haven't commented on this, or do we all agree that we are "dumb as sh*t" when it comes to speakers and that our ears suck..?
Well, anyway, I'm sure Atomic/Jay Mitchell's product will be really good, and I might buy it too (depending on the price tag and availibility in europe..), but is it really reasonable to think that this new product will make all other speaker cabs (including those that many Axe users are quite happy with right now) sound awful in comparison, like Scotts is implying..?

I don't know Scotts; but I took his post as tongue in cheek and humor.

For instance my RCF will still sound like it does today... tomorrow. I am eager for it to be compared though, for obvious reasons.

I'm not huge for speculation and all the endless bickering it ensues at times; but I understand it's necessity in the world today to create awareness. What I will hold to, as I have from the beginning of my life, is to temper my enthusiasm and opinion with personal hands-on/ears-on experience and go from there.

I have forty years of experience in guitar land. Like most of us I have chewed through lots of gear. My explorations with modeling, since I got one of the first VG-8s way back when, have caused me to chew through a LOT of FRFR gear and do a lot of learning and loudspeaker ear training. Couple all this to my experience with Jay's monitor and the learning I have received from him for the last few years and then this:

If you look at an FRFR cabinet at any price point and you see any configuration of separate HF and LF drivers on a flat surface you are looking at a fundamentally flawed design. Many things can be done to compensate the issues presented by non-co-axial design but nothing can be done to make the design speak as transparently as a properly designed co-axial system. Also, the presentation of non-co-axial design varies greatly from one listening position to another, even in very expensive high end solutions. The closer you get to the cabinet the worse this phenomena gets. There is no getting around this with non-co-axial design.

The physics issues limiting non-co-axial design are insurmountable. NOTE: That doesn't mean that non-co-ax cabinets sound bad. So don't take that hit.

That's why you get all that "studio monitor" crap. A treated room is a beautiful thing. But the idea, "I have to put these speakers in exactly the right place and then I have to sit in exactly the right place to know what I am hearing." is the result of the speaker industry at large embracing and developing an inferior design model.

Four reasons for this:
~non-co-ax is easier to understand
~non-co-ax is cheaper and easier to build
~many folks that parade the moniker "audio engineer" just didn't go far enough with their training
~many folks that parade the moniker "audio engineer" do get it but their hands are tied by the company they work for. "Umm, excuse me Mr. JBL President. My research shows me that our entire product line, and the majority of the loudspeaker industry, is based on a flawed design model. I think we should scuttle everything and embrace co-axial."

Jay is like some weird co-axial prophet living in the desert of Texas and preaching the good sense of co-axial to a deaf industry. (Oops. I went all Biblical for a second.)

It is far more difficult to design a co-axial system that performs properly than it is to design a non-co-axial system. The learning curve for co-axial design is a lot steeper. Thus, a lot of crappy, or at least less than stellar co-axial has been brought to market over the years. These two factors caused many in the loudspeaker industry to either disregard co-axial design and/or write co-axial off as actually inferior. A few folks like Jay pressed on and mastered co-axial loudspeaker design. Jay's level of co-axial design has never made it to the retail market.

Jay's speaker company is a boutique business serving contractors. Atomic is a mass market business serving the general public. Anyone that can't gleep how this dynamic would affect relative price points needs to go back to business school.

Here's the good news (sorry for the reference Scott P!). For those of us desiring a personal backline system or personal monitoring, properly designed co-axial eliminates all the nasty time based issues that mess with our ears as we change our position relative to the monitor. Said another way, the sweet spot in co-axial land is the entire field of the monitor. Stand as close or as far as you like and at any angle or listening position. This phenomena alone is worth the price of admission.

If/when you try this monitor GET IT UP OFF THE GROUND OR AT LEAST POINT IT DIRECTLY AT YOUR EARS. Don't put it on the ground firing forward and then stand right on top of it. Your ears aren't in your kneecaps!

Last edited:
If this will be end of our FRFR amplification issues, as I hope it to be, finally the missing link has arrived. No more power amp + guitar cab.

Like scotts, I've heard Jay's coaxial cab design in person, at a small club in the Dallas area. The coax cab was the center "dry" element in a W/D/W rig, with two small line-arrays as the "wet" bookends. Sounded really, really good.

Many of you know that Jay is the president of Frazier Loudspeakers. Frazier does business all over the world, mostly large installed systems as I understand it. Frazier has a broad product line, but common to every system they make is a design principle they call "Coincident Aligned Transducers." A coaxial driver is a kind of expression of this principle.

Jay's personal cab looked to me a lot like Frazier's PM499, when I saw it at the Cottage Lounge. If the new product(s) from Atomic are based on the PM499's basic design, but at an affordable price point, then we are in for a treat. :geek

I'm just running this through my head to make sure what I'm thinking it correct. Please excuse my ignorance.

If I understand this correctly, co-axial designes are supposed to be superior, but arent due to lack of research / knowledge?

Also, Scotts are you saying that seperate HF / LF drivers, on a flat surface, are inferior to properly designed co-axial loud speakers?

Being that I have a Bose L1, the mid/high frequencies come from the tower itself, and then the subwoofers sit next to it. Does this qualify the design as a non-coaxial speaker?

Thank you for your help.

Just saw atomic facebook post indicating that it was a powered cab. I hope they have plans for a passive version assuming I even like the powered ones; Just bought the atomic 50/50 a few months ago.

Just saw atomic facebook post indicating that it was a powered cab. I hope they have plans for a passive version assuming I even like the powered ones; Just bought the atomic 50/50 a few months ago.

+1 - I'm not keen on powered cabs - keeping amplification separate isolates components and makes maintenance and setup that much more flexible (I don't have to take my whole cab for repair to resolve an amp issue). I have the Atomic standard passives with an SLA which I hope to replace soon with an Atomic 50/50. Trying out some coaxial passives would be awesome and these could also probably come in small compact package due to the co-location of the HF/LF aspects which would also be a big +

P.

I'm just running this through my head to make sure what I'm thinking it correct. Please excuse my ignorance.
Please excuse mine as well. I am no expert. I am a deeply experienced end user and that's it.

If I understand this correctly, co-axial designes are supposed to be superior, but arent due to lack of research / knowledge?
Oh boy. It's times like this we need Jay doing the typing. Co-axial loudspeaker design theory is the current best possible expression of the impossible goal of complete flat response and 100% speaker transparency. !00% FRFR and 100% transparency can not be achieved to my understanding. To the best extent possible Jay's designs deliver on "you get out what you put in". Jay's co-axial designs are not perfect. They are however the fullest currently available manifestations of the best existing loudspeaker design theories.

Of course we must remember that we then try to apply these "best possible designs" in some of the worst listening environments. As end users we must do two things:
1) Point the speaker at our ears
2) Use global EQ (mostly on the lows) to "normalize" any given venue to the extent possible.

Scotts are you saying that seperate HF / LF drivers, on a flat surface, are inferior to properly designed co-axial loud speakers?
Yes. Interesting thought huh? The vast majority of the retail loudspeaker industry is based on a seriously flawed model. Lot's of acoustic/physics guys know this. The industry at large could care less. It isn't like stuff by Turbosound, Meyer, et.al. sounds bad. A lot of that stuff sounds quite good. Plus, we have all trained our ears to identify the best of non-co-axial design as "quite good". At least for me, the difference between all the non-co-axial stuff I have heard and Jay's version of co-axial is huge.

Please remember, when we are discussing high end products, whether co-axial or non-co-axial, we are talking about good, better, best. Darn near all the non-co-axial high end stuff is at least very good (until you stand close to it!)

Being that I have a Bose L1, the mid/high frequencies come from the tower itself, and then the subwoofers sit next to it. Does this qualify the design as a non-coaxial speaker?
The Bose L1 is not co-axial. I have a lot of experience from years back working with the Bose L1. It has some strengths but for me a few glaring weaknesses, especially one that affected some sensitive listeners in the audience on several occasions and, at least for me, made the L1 unacceptable. If you do a search on my username and Bose I think I developed my thoughts on the L1 a little more in an old post.

Thank you for your help
You're very welcome.

Regarding ignorance:
A lot goes in to making a high end FRFR system. A lot more goes into making a high end co-axial system.

As guitar players we tend to think things like:
"I'll buy a really good co-axial speaker and drop it in a cabinet. If I buy good enough components it should sound great."

Here is something Jay posted a while back regarding some of what goes in to designing a high end cabinet:

"Here's a list of some of the issues that affect the behavior of a loudspeaker. All of them - and some additional ones not listed here - must be thoroughly understood and taken into account in order to produce a satisfactory result.

Individual transducers:
1. Maximum available acoustic power output.
2. Absolute bandwidth.
3. Amplitude vs. frequency response.
4. Phase vs. frequency response.
5. Directivity vs. frequency as implemented in the design (IOW, in the final enclosure).

Enclosure:
1. Structural integrity of materials/construction. This is by far the easiest issue to address. Any halfway-decent carpenter can do this, yet many people think this is the main part.
2. Internal standing waves.
3. Diffraction of acoustic energy from edges and surface transitions.
4. Placement of transducers relative to each other and to the enclosure.

System:
1. Absolute bandwidth.
2. Maximum available acoustic power output.
3. Amplitude vs. frequency response.
4. Phase vs. frequency response. This item and 1. immediately above are both contained in the speaker's impulse response.
5. Directivity vs. frequency.
6. Amplitude and phase response at all angles within the intended coverage of the device.

This is not intended to be an exhaustive list."

Last edited:
Thanks man. Just trying to get the Jay Mitchell co-axial news out. I firmly believe that anyone with the skill to dial what they want to hear with the Axe is going to freak out when they play through one of these things for the first time.

Learn to dial in a high quality far-field IR and couple it with this new monitor and you gonna' be happy.

P.S. My favorite IR is a far field from Jay's personal collection. It sounds much better to me than the far fields in the Axe. The next step is to get Jay to release an IR collection!

+1 - I'm not keen on powered cabs - keeping amplification separate isolates components and makes maintenance and setup that much more flexible (I don't have to take my whole cab for repair to resolve an amp issue). I have the Atomic standard passives with an SLA which I hope to replace soon with an Atomic 50/50. Trying out some coaxial passives would be awesome and these could also probably come in small compact package due to the co-location of the HF/LF aspects which would also be a big +

P.

Seems you'll be happy based on what Atomic just posted on Facebook... "For those in the Dallas Fort Worth area, passive versions of our new CLR Series cabinets will be on hand for demo'ing at a user group meeting. Check 'em out if you can!"

Whomever here is going to this - take some pics/video, etc and ask Jay about his FF IR's!!! Please???

Back
Top Bottom