Atomic Amps - "Coincident Linear Reference" Designed by Jay Mitchell

Regarding loudspeakers, most of us are dumb as sh*t - especially in relation to a world leading authority like Jay. Love him, hate him, or something in between, he is among a very few individuals who are the last word on everything loudspeaker.

Based on some of the loudspeaker solutions that some folks on this forum rave about it is reasonable to assume that their ears haven't been well trained... ....or maybe even suck as you put it!

Firstly, let me say I'm also very intrigued by this new Atomic product. Secondly, I'm not very educated regarding Jay Mitchell and his theories etc., but I understand he's a big speaker guru here on the forum. However, I also read that he was banned from this forum by Cliff Chase himself..? So I guess Mitchell must also be a bit controversial then.. And I must admit I'm a bit intrigued by Scotts comment here; do you actually mean that all the people here on the forum who think that their current cabs sound great, are wrong, and this is because their ears aren't well enough trained, or even "suck", to say it bluntly..? That's a pretty coarse claim, isn't it? Ok, let's say for the case of argument that this is right, then; that most people can't tell what is actually a good speaker. But when you play a concert, you play mostly for "common people", right? So then the audience probably also would be quite happy with the sound from the currently well-acknowledged speakers, and probably wouldn't even be able to hear the difference between these and Jay Mitchell-designed speakers, since these are just for "trained ears" (in other words; only Jay Mitchell himself and maybe a few other people, as you say) Hm...

If it's designed by Jay it will be co-axial - that's what he does. If it's designed by Jay and built to his specifications it will sound as good as the monitor that I played through last year. If the new Atomic is designed by Jay and built to his specifications, you will be getting the most transparent FRFR system available at any cost. You will hear exactly what you program into the Axe. The monitor will do it's part of the job without getting in the way.

If the new Atomic is designed by Jay and built to his specifications you might as well get two and sell your studio reference monitors as well. You're about to hear what you've been missing.

Bold talk I know. I have the advantage of having played through a Jay Mitchell co-axial monitor. It's FRFR like you've never heard before.

Wow

If it's designed by Jay it will be co-axial - that's what he does. If it's designed by Jay and built to his specifications it will sound as good as the monitor that I played through last year. If the new Atomic is designed by Jay and built to his specifications, you will be getting the most transparent FRFR system available at any cost. You will hear exactly what you program into the Axe. The monitor will do it's part of the job without getting in the way.
If the new Atomic is designed by Jay and built to his specifications you might as well get two and sell your studio reference monitors as well. You're about to hear what you've been missing.
Bold talk I know. I have the advantage of having played through a Jay Mitchell co-axial monitor. It's FRFR like you've never heard before.
Mhhh... I believe it won't be a 3,000$ cabinet. Hence the sound won't be as good as the monitor you've tried. Not even Mr. Mitchell (whom knowledge I esteem a lot) is able to make a 1,000 $ loudspeaker sound as good as a 3,000 $ one.
I agree they might sound better that other LSs of the same price range tho.

As for the ban, and Atomic having left the building... please people, let's not start another religion war! :)

The NY Amp show is June 3 & 4 this year, I suppose we will all have a chance to see them in action there.

Mhhh... I believe it won't be a 3,000$ cabinet. Hence the sound won't be as good as the monitor you've tried. Not even Mr. Mitchell (whom knowledge I esteem a lot) is able to make a 1,000 $ loudspeaker sound as good as a 3,000 $ one.

As for the ban, and Atomic having left the building... please people, let's not start another religion war! :)

I'll reserve an judgement until I hear it for myself.

But I remember Jay saying something along the lines like he thought even his $3,000 speaker was overkill for a guitar application... Maybe for half that price he can design something that could kick competitor's asses. I hope so, as I'm hugely interested in this FRFR monitor.

But I remember Jay saying something along the lines like he thought even his $3,000 speaker was overkill for a guitar application... Maybe for half that price he can design something that could kick competitor's asses. I hope so, as I'm hugely interested in this FRFR monitor.
This :)
It will be st. that must be heard for sure.
I'd notice, tho, that Axe (and any digital modeler gifted with FX, synth and the like) is more than a guitar application :)

I'll reserve an judgement until I hear it for myself.
That's wise :)
On a more serious note, I see no reason to expect to be disappointed. Mr. Mitchell won't let his name be linked to st. with a bad price/performance ratio, and @ Atomic they seem skilled enough to know were to place a product on the price line.

As much as I´m excited to know more about this product, having high hopes towards it, Gianfranco and Sean are being more rational, better wait and see and hear what it´ll come down to. ;)

Not necessarily. Product placement is a key point in any business, and technical skills are shown in the same way by creating a top-of-the-line piece of handcraft or building a budget one. Like a cheap car built by a firm known for their expensive car, the challenge is to build a better car staying within the price range.

Price point is key - from what I've heard Jay can design it to a high standard - but getting a final product that's marketable at a price enough of us will pay is another story - there will be many tradeoffs unless it's a high priced cab that only a few will ever own.

I am reserving a full on opinion until I've tried it firsthand - that's how I work.

However, I am going to do anything and everything I can to ensure that I will be trying it firsthand.

Firstly, let me say I'm also very intrigued by this new Atomic product. Secondly, I'm not very educated regarding Jay Mitchell and his theories etc., but I understand he's a big speaker guru here on the forum. However, I also read that he was banned from this forum by Cliff Chase himself..? .

He was banned for stating factual truths, not any controversial opinion. I wouldn't have banned him.

Back
Top Bottom