A "Rush" Patch Thread

I also tried the OP patches and they sound with low volume and with almost no distortion. Are they supposed to sound like this?

I also tried the OP patches and they sound with low volume and with almost no distortion. Are they supposed to sound like this?

I think older presets made with earlier FWs will sound other than intended or won't be read by Fractal-Bot at all.
Also, I've collected many presets and many of them sound terrible, its really a hit or miss.

I think older presets made with earlier FWs will sound other than intended or won't be read by Fractal-Bot at all.
Also, I've collected many presets and many of them sound terrible, its really a hit or miss.

Hahaha I didn't even notice until your post that these were from 2011! That explains things.

i read in some interview that basically he uses 4 sounds for gup....one distorted gritty sound....which is i guess the marshall 4140....two cleaner sounds with the effects added (no clue as to which amps) and one line for the rockman. he would then mix them together with a rane mixer. live he said he would do the same but depending on the hall he would make slight changes to the balancing of the four sounds.

I think gup was a killer sound! especially the live video....dense very heavy and yet clean.

here are my patches they're not finished and i'm not too happy with them yet but maybe someone can push them to a better level....they were made for headphone low volume and humbucker pickups were used

I thought the GUP was pretty close in the ball park. I started making some modifications toit not done yet, sounded a little darker than the album. I changed the OD from the rat to the Distortion plus and the cabs to some RW hiwatts and made a few other changes. When Im done Ill post it.

Side note....
I think Alex has an axe fx that he uses as a back up for all his effects as a last ditch if everything else goes down. Wonder what the chances are of some one from fractal could hit up scott appleton to see if those presets can be shared.

JB

I thought the GUP was pretty close in the ball park. I started making some modifications toit not done yet, sounded a little darker than the album. I changed the OD from the rat to the Distortion plus and the cabs to some RW hiwatts and made a few other changes. When Im done Ill post it.

Side note....
I think Alex has an axe fx that he uses as a back up for all his effects as a last ditch if everything else goes down. Wonder what the chances are of some one from fractal could hit up scott appleton to see if those presets can be shared.

JB
I believe the axe covers his main fx now

I am in process of updating them to version 12. The architecture remains the same, but the amp blocks have changed quite a bit. I had to replace the HiWatts with jumpered Hiwatts, and I am in the process of tuning it up to get the depth of stereo field that I feel it requires. I also found the MXR distortion+ had lost its oomph, and I had to change it to a tweaked Proco Rat.

The key feature of the Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves era was that the live distortion came from the germanium diode in MXR Distortion+. The amps are clean, even the Marshall 4140 Club and Country which was Marshall's answer to the Fender Twin. There are a lot SRV wannabes out on YouTube who are more than happy to demonstrate that fact. The only thing I can figure the 4140's were used for was to give the bottom end the darker and more complex sound that appeared on Moving Pictures.

The difficulty is getting the 4140 sound for Moving Pictures. I was hopeful when Cliff had announced he had acquired one, but it turned out to need a lot of work. Right now, I am playing around with a Marshall Jumpered 50 Watt going through a 2x12 Cab for the distortion side and leaving the pedal out of it.

Last edited:
I believe the axe covers his main fx now
Yes, main fx. The main rig is Lerxst Omega(inspired by a Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553) for distortion, Mesa Boogie Mark V for the Clean, and Hughes and Kettner Coreblade for heavy sounds. The acoustic sounds are now completely supplied by Axe FX tonematches.

Yes, main fx. The main rig is Lerxst Omega(inspired by a Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553) for distortion, Mesa Boogie Mark V for the Clean, and Hughes and Kettner Coreblade for heavy sounds. The acoustic sounds are now completely supplied by Axe FX tonematches.

ah yes I just watched that video again (around the 2:05 mark). looks like an A and B rig and the third (that I had thought was a last ditch backup) is actually dedicated to the acoustic patches

Alex used the Axe as a backup rig on the previous tour, when he still had 3 or 4 G-force units doing effects, but for Clockwork Angels he ditched the G-force and was using the 2 Axes for effects plus the one for acoustic. I'm speculating, but I'd bet that Scott Appleton had a lot to do with Alex initially using the Axe as a backup.

I think gup was a killer sound! especially the live video....dense very heavy and yet clean.

here are my patches they're not finished and i'm not too happy with them yet but maybe someone can push them to a better level....they were made for headphone low volume and humbucker pickups were used

The Grace Under Pressure patch sounds simply superb with my LP. Thanks for this. +1

I still recall an old preset someone posted for the Limelight solo. Maybe back in the 6.00 firmware. It sounded scary real!!!

I found a cranked HiPower Brillnt to be the best for a Farewell To Kings era tone.

From later work I would be most keen to see whether anyone has been able to nail Alex's clean sparkly tones from Hold Your Fire (Time Stand Still, etc.)...

hey boof,
Many thanks for sharing you patchs

just curious what FW ver are you patch's ,

as patchs can vary greatly from FW to FW it might be a good idea to add the FW ver when people are offering up there patch's just to save on the confussiion when amp blocks need reset etc

loving the thread can't wait to get home and try these patchs
cheers
G\../

I honestly dont remember...... I was thinking the same myself before I made that post. Sorry about that.
I think it was in the 10.x range.

no worries LOL it was merely curiosity,

I intend to try the patchs I have with the new OH IR's when I get home as I have a few older Rush patchs that I've mod'd up to FW12 but need to try a several thing before I could even think of sharing at the mo lol

Also I have only had my FR212 for a few months and going through the motions of fine tuning patchs for everything I play

cheers
G \../

I honestly dont remember...... I was thinking the same myself before I made that post. Sorry about that.
I think it was in the 10.x range.

Around the 10. range is Cool.
I loaded them, tweaked a tad for my live power amp/cab. Limelight Solo & Tom Sawyer v1 are real good.
Thanks for sharing, boof!

Hi
Haven't got a patch to share at the moment but just wanted to say that I have fine tuned the FAS Limelight patch by adding the OwnHammer_412_MAR-CB_M-PR-55_T1_Median, note this is from the latest pack OH have on offer and it has made all the difference to the tome as it has greenback g12m speakers in the IR which according to my homework Alex tends to favour in his rigs
any other patch componet recomendations ??

G \../

Hi
Haven't got a patch to share at the moment but just wanted to say that I have fine tuned the FAS Limelight patch by adding the OwnHammer_412_MAR-CB_M-PR-55_T1_Median, note this is from the latest pack OH have on offer and it has made all the difference to the tome as it has greenback g12m speakers in the IR which according to my homework Alex tends to favour in his rigs
any other patch componet recomendations ??

G \../
Germanium diode distortions- Plus or Fat Rat for Farewell to Kings through Grace Under Pressure
Dimension Chorus(available in 12.03 Beta 4)- 70's and Early 80's(Live Mainly)
Tape Delay for the 70's and Early 80's
2290 w/Mod delay. 85 on. Basically, Power Windows to just recently.
The secret ingredient on the early Rush albums was a Fender Twin with JBL's in Parallel with the Marshalls to add more definition to the chords.

Not much to add except 36 years ago I met Alex Lifeson and asked him
which Wah pedal he used, he used the Crybaby, it was around Farewell to Kings era

Back
Top Bottom