Global Bypass:

Wish: change Global Bypass functionality

• I understood it all, and vote Yes.

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • You lost me. Still: Yes because I like you.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Didn't understand, don't care, or just No.

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
(this is also an "Axe-Fx wish", thought I post it here because it relates especally to foot controllers)

You don't hear a lot about the Global Bypass feature in the Axe-Fx. Bear with me ... it's long but not complicated.

It's quite simple: assign a switch to the CC for Global Bypass. Stepping on the switch will enable all effects that are saved as "bypassed" in the preset. Works great if you have simple presets and you need just one variation of the preset. That's because Global Bypass makes it unnecessary to assign multiple IA switches to effect blocks in the preset, or to have to create a 2nd preset for that purpose.

Now my wish.

Global Bypass could serve another very handy purpose: being a "Dry" (or "Return" or "Start" or whatever). A "Dry" switch returns the active preset to its saved state. For example, if you pressed 4 IAs after selecting a preset, the Dry switch will cancel those 4 IAs in one go by recalling the preset in its saved state. If you get used to it, you'll appreciate it, trust me, I used it all the time on my Gordius controller.

Example: say you're using Scott's template and you have 3 PEQs enabled and Delay and Chorus, a simple single press on "Dry" would disable all those things in one go.

Smartasses will now remark that something similar can already be accomplished by disabling Global Preset on the MFC and setting Ignore Redundant PCs on the Axe-Fx to Off. This way pressing a preset switch TWICE will act like a Dry switch (recalling the preset). That's correct. But I happen to like the Global Preset functionality, Ignore Redundant PCs at "Off" causes audio drops, and it's just less clear alltogether (alltogether: "It's just less clear").

So, it'd be great if pressing Global Bypass twice would recall the preset in its saved state, just like a Dry switch. Alas, it doesn't work that way at the moment. If effect blocks are enabled after a preset change, pressing Global Bypass a 2nd time will not put those effects back in bypass mode.

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't read your post carefully enough so I voted "no" as I like global bypass and use it. Your suggestion makes no difference to the way I use it to toggle, so if I had the opportunity, I'd change my vote to "yes".

I think this confuses the Global Bypass function too much. A dedicated REVERT would make more sense.

i was thinking (never tried it yet), can't you just press the preset button again after you've engaged global bypass? or is that something you have to change on the "resend patch on press" thing?

Back
Top Bottom