Infinite Reverb / Freeze / Hold Reverb / Chord-Drone

Nick

Hello everyone,

is there a possibility to create an infinite Reverb or a kind of chord-drone with the AXE-FX?

Roland VG 99 -> Freeze
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5crmZyNajA

Electro-Harmonix Cathedral Pedal -> Infinite Reverb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AIFtPtuYow

BOSS ME-25 -> Freeze
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3L-NRfGtUM

The Native Instruments Guitar-Rig-Software 4 also allows a freezing of the reverb via a hold-button. It is a lot of fun freezing a chord and instantly soloing over. Any suggestions how to achieve this with the AXE?

cheers - Nick

Re: Infinite Reverb / Freeze / Hold Reverb

It's doable. I just tried it and it works wickedly good. You need to set a delay block to "dual" then set these values:

Time L 1000ms
Time R 1500ms

Feedback L->L 50%
Feedback R->R 60%
Feedback L->R 45%
Feedback R->L 45%

Then Diffusion at 100% and Diff Time at 100%

Master feedback should be at 100% and attach a controller to this so you can toggle it between 0 and 100.

Then turn your ingain to zero after you've frozen your "chord" and you might want to set a controller to this as well.

You can experiment a little with some of the feedback values but be CAREFUL because it can quickly get out of control!

You can add another delay after the first to give it a little stereo width,maybe a chorus too....or what ever.You can put two amps
in the chain so you can switch between clean and dirty.

There are so many possibilites!

Let me know how it works out for ya. :D

rocketmorton52 said:
It's doable. I just tried it and it works wickedly good. You need to set a delay block to "dual" then set these values:

Time L 1000ms
Time R 1500ms

Feedback L->L 50%
Feedback R->R 60%
Feedback L->R 45%
Feedback R->L 45%

Master feedback should be at 100% and attach a controller to this so you can toggle it between 0 and 100.

Then turn your ingain to zero after you've frozen your "chord" and you might want to set a controller to this as well.

You can experiment a little with some of the feedback values but be CAREFUL because it can quickly get out of control!

You can add another delay after the first to give it a little stereo width,maybe a chorus too....or what ever.You can put two amps

Very cool :cool: . Excellent tips - works like a charm :!:

Wow, thank You very much for this fast and inspiring solution! Unfortunately i cannot test this right now because my AXE haven't arrived yet :cry: Meanwhile i am trying to simulate the behavior of the AXE with Cubase/Guitarrig and some FX stuff. I have spent a couple of hours with the VG-99, the freeze function is brilliant and super simple to use and there a some FX-things that cannot be made with the AXE due to the hexaphonic output. But anyhow i did not liked the overall sound so much, it was a bit to lifeless to me. So now i am looking forward to the AXE as my new working solution :) As soon as i have the settings i will try it out and give some feedback. - Thanks - Nick

I hadn't thought about using the Dual Delay, will have to try it out. I've experimented with a patch for a similar effect. It has two amps, with an expression pedal set to pan between them. The clean amp feeds the long/infinite delay and the pitch-crystals effect. I tied the same expression pedal to the clean delay feedback. The dirty amp has a separate delay. I've been trying to get it tweaked so that, with pedal in heel down you have the clean amp with delay and crystals. The delay at this point has feedback around 40, so you get a lot of ambience but it trails off within a few seconds.

As you rock forward, at mid point the delay feedback goes to 100, so the clean chord sustains. At toe down, you're full on with the dirty amp and it's separate delay so you can play lead over the sustained chord. When you rock back to heel down, the clean chord trails off. Overall, this feels a lot smoother than using a switch, it's pretty intuitive to hop back and forth changing chords and playing lead lines over them.

I've got the effects part working pretty well, but trying to pan using the amp's output levels isn't very smooth. I've read that it's better to use a pan/volume block for this, I'll have to try that along with your dual delay settings. And perhaps set the dirty delay feedback to go up as you rock back to clean, to get the long trail effect.

I haven't tried it with a switch,I was just suggesting it,
it makes sence that the pedal would be a smoother transition.
I might try adding another dual delay and figure out a way to use two different "frozen chords" and switch between them.

This is what I love about the Ultra...pretty much whatever you think of.... you can do!!

rocketmorton52 said:
I haven't tried it with a switch,I was just suggesting it,
it makes sence that the pedal would be a smoother transition.
I might try adding another dual delay and figure out a way to use two different "frozen chords" and switch between them.

This is what I love about the Ultra...pretty much whatever you think of.... you can do!!

Switch will work fine you just need to add dampening time to smooth it out.

InsideOut said:
rocketmorton52 said:

Time L 1000ms
Time R 1500ms

Feedback L->L 50%
Feedback R->R 60%
Feedback L->R 45%
Feedback R->L 45%

Very cool :cool: . Excellent tips - works like a charm :!:
This isn't working for me. Can someone take a look at my preset and tell me what's wrong?
[attachment=0:16jp7kzq]Freeze.syx.zip[/attachment:16jp7kzq]

Attachments

• Freeze.syx.zip
    484 bytes · Views: 234

Stringtheorist said:
This isn't working for me. Can someone take a look at my preset and tell me what's wrong?
[attachment=0:3a6yolm4]Freeze.syx.zip[/attachment:3a6yolm4]

Haven't loaded it. But just looking at it:
- use different controllers (two pedals) for Input Gain and Master Feedback?
- when using one controller the Start value of Input Gain should probably be 100
- you have different values for Time R, Feedback R>R

yek said:
Stringtheorist said:
[attachment=0:3kis041y]Freeze.syx.zip[/attachment:3kis041y]

- when using one controller the Start value of Input Gain should probably be 100
Can I do it with one controller?

Stringtheorist said:
yek said:
Stringtheorist said:
[attachment=0:2uvkp0i9]Freeze.syx.zip[/attachment:2uvkp0i9]

Can I do it with one controller?

Yep, just tried it.

Input Gain: Start 100, End 0
Master feedback: Start 0, End 100
Hit a chord and push the pedal down.
To let the chord fade away pull the pedal back.

In this approach however your dry sound won't be entirely dry. To achieve that you can tie Mix to the same controller as well.

Also:
- turn up the delay's Mix param to hear the frozen chord better
- check the I/O mode. The Dual Delay works in stereo, the I/O mode may have an impact.

Yek, can you modify the preset and post it here for the dumb guys like me that only understand what "on" and "off" could mean :mrgreen: ?

yek said:
- check the I/O mode. The Dual Delay works in stereo, the I/O mode may have an impact.
I run all my presets in Mono. Is there any point me using the Dual Delay? Can I use a different mode?

SML59 said:
Yek, can you modify the preset and post it here for the dumb guys like me that only understand what "on" and "off" could mean :mrgreen: ?
Yeah, I'm not getting this at all. How do I get the sustained chord to sound clear and not washed-away? With overdrive it sounds really bad and indistinct.

Stringtheorist said:
SML59 said:
Yeah, I'm not getting this at all. How do I get the sustained chord to sound clear and not washed-away? With overdrive it sounds really bad and indistinct.

Well, that's the way it is. This method uses repeated delays and applies Diffusion to the trails to let them fade into each other.

Place the Delay after Drive blocks and the Amp.

One pedal: when playing dry, just switch of the Delay block. Then just before the chord that you want to let sustain, switch on the delay, hit the chord, press down the pedal. Now you can play on top of the chord. It takes some time to finetune.

Control is better with two pedals. No need to switch on/off the Delay.

And it works in mono too (Sum as well as Copy L>R).

SML59 said:

Attached! Remove the ZIP extension.

For one pedal (settings not finetuned).

Is it possible to make it fade out faster after pushing the pedal back?
The problem is it when you sustain a chord and then push back to release it and hit another chord it captures both chords when you try to sustain again.
pardon if this sounds confusing.

These hold settings for the Dual Delay are awesome! With a bit of finetuning, it's Rush's Marathon solo!
Thank you very much!

Back
Top Bottom