stock cabs freq. response curves

drosei

Inspired
I am trying to familiarize myself with the different cabs so I measured their freq response.

I share these curves here so that users might benefit in trying to figure out which cabs work for them and which do not.

My main observation is that the cab curve has a much more pronounced effect than the most radical post EQ.

This leads me to the conclusion that a patch must be built based on a cab and you cannot just build a patch and the go changing cabs without revoicing.

The Measuring Program is WinMLS 2004
My chain was Motu ultralite Mk3 SPDIF out ->axe fx spdif in -> cab block-> AXE spdif out -> motu spdif in.

I verified the setup bypassing the cab block and producing a ruler flat response.

Here are the 4x12's

rksufo.jpg

2yuejw8.jpg

264no0x.jpg

1z32oeb.jpg

r1cric.jpg

34ye5xe.jpg

15zhyt4.jpg

2cwlpts.jpg

2dsg3dg.jpg

1qo086.jpg

2qnp5vm.jpg

r0bgir.jpg

2ypkwtw.jpg

fm88wz.jpg

2li7pqr.jpg

Will post the rest of the cabs later

That's good info for the more-visual-than-use-your-ears kind of tweakers. E.g. one can see that there's huge bump at around 120Hz for the 4x12" V30.

Say drosei, could you do the same for the mic sims?

To get the response of the mic sim you need the cab(+no mic) and the same cab+mic. Subtract the cab(+no mic) from the cab+mic and what you'll get is just the mic. Or it would be even easier with custom cab IR that would be completely flat, you'd get the mic responses without the subtraction.

drosei said:
I share these curves here so that users might benefit in trying to figure out which cabs work for them and which do not.
Thank you for sharing this data. It's very interesting.

My main observation is that the cab curve has a much more pronounced effect than the most radical post EQ.
That's true and it's also why speaker sims can't be duplicated with just a simple multiband EQ.

This leads me to the conclusion that a patch must be built based on a cab and you cannot just build a patch and the go changing cabs without revoicing.
Really? Why do you think that? I for one feel that switching cabs, and to a lesser degree mics, are a great way to radically change the final tone. Cabs are just another form of EQ to me.

Thanks - that is very telling! I've been looking at the speaker response curves on the Celestion and Eminence sites and I'm going to use these to EQ to try get closer to the raw speaker curves. I know there are many other factors (cab, mic, room) for what you really hear (or want to hear), but it will be an interesting experiment.

I would be fascinated to see what the PEQ block does after the cab to the curves. Not a request (I know you aren't here doing anything for our amusement) but it'd be exceptionally interesting to me to look at.

PEQ block - band 1, blocking, 120hz @ .707Q and band 5, blocking, 7110hz @ .707Q.

Matt_B said:
Really? Why do you think that? I for one feel that switching cabs, and to a lesser degree mics, are a great way to radically change the final tone. Cabs are just another form of EQ to me.

I think that because if I adjust my sound to sit well with in a busy mix and then change the cab ,chances are I will have to revoice, and/or redo the mix.

But to each his own . :D

Scott Peterson said:
I would be fascinated to see what the PEQ block does after the cab to the curves. Not a request (I know you aren't here doing anything for our amusement) but it'd be exceptionally interesting to me to look at.

PEQ block - band 1, blocking, 120hz @ .707Q and band 5, blocking, 7110hz @ .707Q.

Scott Peterson said:

One for Scott...

4x12 BRIT w/NONE mic, PEQ w/Scott's settings, The End Result

4x12%20brit%20-%20blocking%20peq%202.png

Are you sure band 1 was set to blocking for this and Q set to 0.7, knoll? I'd expect to see the same bass cut roll-off as the high cut, because they have the same Q, and the x-scale is logarithmic. Instead the bass is about -12dB/oct instead of blocking.

But either way, probably the answer is ... some bass cut, but otherwise not much difference over typical guitar frequencies (80 to about 8KHz). I'm generally more ruthless with my PEQ, with a lot of bass cut in the amp (low bass settings, often higher low-cut freq) and a lot of blocking high cut after, frequencies around 4KHz and/or lower Q settings. This gives me the tight and smooth tones I like through FRFR.

It is correct. The y-axis zoom level is quite far out so it may fool one a bit. Maybe I should update the image with better zoom levels.

knoll said:
It is correct. The y-axis zoom level is quite far out so it may fool one a bit. Maybe I should update the image with better zoom levels.
Many thanks for checking, knoll.

IMHO, something's not right. Accurately measuring down to 2Hz is somewhat meaningless, it would require massive coupling capacitiors, or no coupling caps (I guess you're using the AxeFX digital outs). 20Hz would be a more realistic starting point. The x-scale is logarithmic, so I still think the PEQ blocking filters in bands 1 and 5 should mirror each other with the same Q setting. Maybe it's an AxeFX bug?

yeah, I just measured quickly from 0 to 24000 Hz and zoomed out so that everything was visible.

The slopes for the two blocking filters are different, yes. But it's not necessarily a bug, it could be that Cliff chose to implement the filters differently. There may be a good reason for it.

Oh, and the signal chain for the measurement was:
PC ---<firewire>--- MOTU 828mk3 ---<spdif>--- Axe-Fx ---<spdif>--- MOTU 828mk3 ---<firewire>--- PC

Updated the image. Range is now from 20Hz - 20kHz. Zoom is better. The blue crosshair is at the -3dB point of the PEQ's 120Hz blocking filter

Back
Top Bottom