Desperately need Envelope Filter Patch for Relax

Secret80'sMan

Experienced
Gang,
I need an envelope filter a la DOD FX-25 (green pedal) or as similar a sound as is present in the Frankie Goes to Hollywood song Relax. What I hear on the song is that the filter opens wider the harder you hit the strings. That thing has a monstrous low end when it closes and that is exactly what I need. I have been dicking around with the filter and wah and can't get even close. :(

Somebody please save my ass (no pun intended since we're talking Frankie) I need it for tomorrow's rehearsal. If you already have a patch and can post or PM it even better.

Thanks!

Secret80'sMan said:
Gang,
I need an envelope filter a la DOD FX-25 (green pedal) or as similar a sound as is present in the Frankie Goes to Hollywood song Relax. What I hear on the song is that the filter opens wider the harder you hit the strings. That thing has a monstrous low end when it closes and that is exactly what I need. I have been dicking around with the filter and wah and can't get even close. :(

Somebody please save my ass (no pun intended since we're talking Frankie) I need it for tomorrow's rehearsal. If you already have a patch and can post or PM it even better.

Thanks!

Let me see what I can do. I don't have a lot of time today but I've messed w/ the autowah thing a bunch for a couple different songs so it shouldn't take to long to dial in.

Thanks Sean, If you can send me something that even remotely does what I need it to I can tweak it further. I appreciate your effort man.

Thanks!

Secret80'sMan said:
Thanks Sean, If you can send me something that even remotely does what I need it to I can tweak it further. I appreciate your effort man.

Thanks!

That sounds like an analog synth to me. I don't have the time to dial that in but I can give you some suggestions. Use a synth block, shift one of the synths down an octave, try using a sawtooth wave form on them, attach an envelope or an ADSR (prefered) to the filters of both (set limits in the start, mid, end), turn up the Q on both. You'll have to spend some time with ADSR or envelope settings.

I was able to get the begings of this, this morning. I have to relisten to original. The synth w/ the sawtooth, 1 voice down an octave seems to work. It is just a matter of getting the ADSR settings and Q right. It also will need to be fattened up a bit. A little detune offset on the octave down voice helped. I have a couple of different ideas to get it thicker after i've had more than 2 hours sleep :D .

javajunkie said:
I was able to get the begings of this, this morning. I have to relisten to original. The synth w/ the sawtooth, 1 voice down an octave seems to work. It is just a matter of getting the ADSR settings and Q right. It also will need to be fattened up a bit. A little detune offset on the octave down voice helped. I have a couple of different ideas to get it thicker after i've had more than 2 hours sleep :D .

Sean, you didn't have to do that, man, I'm gonna have to call your boss and tell him to give you a day to sleep on my account. Thank you so much for helping me out on this, you've always been such a help to me and others here on the forum. Now go get some sleep brotha!

PS: Great Dweezil pictures, awesome you and Mike got to meet him and more importantly hear him.
You da man! :D

Ok, try this. I'll see if I can get this by memory.

Up front place 2 synths in parallel.

Synth 1 voice 1
Type: sawtooth
shift: -24
detune: ~+4
Filter: attach ADSR 1 to filter
Q: 1.5 - 2.0

synth 1 voice 2
Type : sawtooth
shift: -12
detune ~+4

Synth 2 voice 1
Type: sawtooth
shift: 0
detune: 0

synth 2 voice 2
Type : square
Duty: ~3
shift: 0
detune 0
Level : mix to taste

ADSR settings

threshold : this will be entirely dependent on your guitar. Set it so it triggers the ADSR when you are playing the riff.
mode: once
regtrig : on

Attack ~100ms
decay all the way down
sustain: all the way down or may be a hair up
release: you'll really need to play with this to get it to close the way you want.

You may wish to place a tape dist and/or detune block after the synths to thicken things up more.

A compressor after can help level things out too.

Played with it some more.

To really get it thick I found using it before 2 amps (one set input l, the other right) , stereo cab, pan out the synth voices, add a detuner after the amps (~+9.1 and -9.1 on the voices) really filled it out.

Sean, I can't thank you enough, we pushed the debut of the song back to next weekend (because of me having to go out of town unexpectedly AND not having a credible sound!) so I will load this up in the next day or so and give it a go. I'll let you know how it works out. Many thanks for helping me out (again!!!!) you are truly a blessing to have on this forum, I know quite a few others agree.

:D :D :D

Sean,
I am way overdue posting on this but have been sick most of the week and am leaving town next week so things have been crazy. The parameters you suggested work really well. I have to mess with the EQ further to make sure I don't overwhelm the entire mix with myself :mrgreen: but besides that this should do the trick! Thanks again for being such a big help to me and the forum as a whole.

Just tried the settings. Wow, nice thick synth bass!

Guy, could someone of you post a sample of the result of your settings, just to get the idea here (without an Ultra, I won't be able to try it, so that is just informative :) )

cheerz.
Boz

Back
Top Bottom