12.03b4 - Dimesion D Preview

Uh. There are models in there already, you know that right? Pre-12.03 you had:

Yes I know about the chorus models of course. I have experimented very much with the Chorus block. But I feel like the chorus block in the Axe is missing something. It doesn't sound as lush (for the lack of a better word) or warm as some pedals I have in my opinion. Hard to describe what is missing.

NB: this is a Dimension D, not a Dimension C. The D was a rack mount unit. They go for ~$1k used these days --highly sought after!

support_dimension.jpg

Damn - well, part of my original post still applies :D - I still like purple.

I never saw one of these- which is weird cuz I was a gear whore for years and had a pile of off the wall stuff... There must not have been too many of these around.

Thanks for the clarification.

Meanwhile, maybe one of these days Cliff will model the Fromel Lush chorus pedal. That's truly an awesome piece of gear. I have one I'd be willing to send in for modeling...

Hmm arent these just presets in the chorus block? I compared it to my stereo chorus I dialed in way back and dont hear too much a difference. I guess thats the sound I always go for in a chorus.

...hmm, the sound ~ the shimmer ~ the color! : sounds like whats use on Purple Rain

and, thanks for sharing that.

Last edited:
Hmm arent these just presets in the chorus block? I compared it to my stereo chorus I dialed in way back and dont hear too much a difference. I guess thats the sound I always go for in a chorus.
no, Cliff changed something in the algo that's loaded in when selecting the Dim D mode. at least that's what I understood from one of his posts.

A Dimension D is a fairly typical chorus with some added analog processing on the outputs. The analog processing has a "normal" mode and a "boost" mode. The unit itself has four switches. These switches set the rate and the depth as well as turn on the boost mode. The switches do the following:
1. Slow rate (0.25 Hz), low depth.
2. Slow rate, normal depth.
3. Fast rate (0.5 Hz), normal depth.
4. Fast rate, normal depth, "boost" on.

The depth is actually reduced in modes 3 and 4 to compensate for the higher rate. In the Axe-Fx this is done automatically when Auto Depth is on. Therefore I've indicated the depth as "normal" in modes 3 and 4 as the amount of pitch shift is roughly the same as mode 2.

There is also an EQ that is present in all the modes on the dry signal.

The LFO is a triangle wave and is 180 degrees out of phase between channels.

The Dimension Mode parameter has three settings: Low, Medium and High.
Low: Dry EQ off, boost off.
Med: Dry EQ on, boost off.
High: Dry EQ on, boost on.

The Low setting has no equivalent on an actual Dimension D since the dry EQ is always active.

The Dimension Type sets the LFO type, phase, Auto Depth, Hi Cut, etc., etc. and sets the Dimension Mode to Medium. With the appropriate settings of Rate and Depth you can duplicate modes 1, 2 & 3 on the actual Dimension D. To duplicate mode 4 you simply set the Dimension Mode to High.

The Rates are given above. I've found a Depth of around 25% to be a good starting point. Increase or decrease to taste. The Type does NOT preset the Rate or Depth.

A Dimension D is a fairly typical chorus with some added analog processing on the outputs. The analog processing has a "normal" mode and a "boost" mode. The unit itself has four switches. These switches set the rate and the depth as well as turn on the boost mode. The switches do the following:

The depth is actually reduced in modes 3 and 4 to compensate for the higher rate. In the Axe-Fx this is done automatically when Auto Depth is on. Therefore I've indicated the depth as "normal" in modes 3 and 4 as the amount of pitch shift is roughly the same as mode 2.

The Low setting has no equivalent on an actual Dimension D since the dry EQ is always active.

The Dimension Type sets the LFO type, phase, Auto Depth, Hi Cut, etc., etc. and sets the Dimension Mode to Medium. With the appropriate settings of Rate and Depth you can duplicate modes 1, 2 & 3 on the actual Dimension D. To duplicate mode 4 you simply set the Dimension Mode to High.

The Rates are given above. I've found a Depth of around 25% to be a good starting point. Increase or decrease to taste. The Type does NOT preset the Rate or Depth.

Thank you Cliff for doing this, you made an 80's dude very happy:)

It seems to me, when I tried on my sound, that it sweetens the tone very nicely. I have only very little amount of the effect on my sound and it just makes it sweeter and more ... dimensional :), I think I will use it just like a reverb on almost every tone I create :)

IIRC, the Dimension is a standard stereo chorus (each channel with a triangle LFO with 180 degree offset from the other channel), where the output of each channel's delay is also mixed into the opposite channel after passing through an inverter and a highpass filter, and the low frequencies in the direct signal boosted to help compensate for the thinner highpass filtered delays.

The Axe Dimension is a very good recreation. I also like the fact that you can adjust all the parameters to taste. As much as I love the Roland products, I always wanted to vary the rate, mix, and depth. When I sold my Dimension, I went to great pains to write a Dimension simulation on my old Eventide Orville. The Axe's is even better. I'll be using it a lot. Thank you, Cliff.

Umm... why not just have the four Dimension modes be selectable in the same manner as they are on the original Roland unit? 1,2,3,4... and make any refinements that you want to make after that with the additional controls? Instead of having to remember what the depth and rate settings are per mode, etc. were on the original unit?

Umm... why not just have the four Dimension modes be selectable in the same manner as they are on the original Roland unit? 1,2,3,4... and make any refinements that you want to make after that with the additional controls? Instead of having to remember what the depth and rate settings are per mode, etc. were on the original unit?

Because then we'd need a new block. The chorus block wouldn't accommodate the "buttons".

The point is not to obsess about what the original unit's settings were and just use depth, rate and the dimension parameter to dial it in to taste like you would any other chorus sound. Way more flexible than the original.

And if you really want presets I've provided axe-edit blk files in the original post. But really: you'll start playing with this and quickly realize you only need your ears.

Thanks for the preset. I downloaded the patch but when I use fractal bot to load to the Axe it come up blank in Axe Edit and no name in the Axe?
Could you check this cause all the other patches from Axechange work.
Thanks nickxmix

Yek, are you putting this in the WIKI?

Back
Top Bottom