Auto Engage Smoothness

sprint

Axe-Master
Does any one recall a thread where a suggest was presented to smooth out "auto engaged" (i.e. for turning Wah on and off). If find the auto-engage / disengage very abrupt and would like to smooth it out. I was sure there was a trick on this but I can't seem to find it.

hmm, how would you smoothly turn on/off an effect with a button? it's basically the same thing, except it happens automatically after a set amount of time.

chrisallen8888 said:
hmm, how would you smoothly turn on/off an effect with a button? it's basically the same thing, except it happens automatically after a set amount of time.

I prefer Auto engage as it allow me to use no controller button. Either way , the on / off tends to be abrupt so I'm trying to get a smooth on / off. One way might be to connect the wha level control to an internal controller that would smoothly move the level from 0 to 100 (I run wha in parallel), however this method would exclude use of auto engage.

The reason the Wah engages abruptly is because it switches the input impedance. Setting Input-Z to 1M overrides the impedance switch (and, frankly, sounds better IMO).

Also, if you're using AutoEngage on multiple effects (eg to exchange between volume and wah on the same pedal), it's important to use the same time settings on both effects (such as "Medium"), otherwise they'll engage and disengage at different times causing several possible glitches.

I recently started using 1M instead of Auto, and indeed it sounds better.

I went with a switched Sp1 so the wah turns on at the top of the curve, as we are accustomed to. There is a way to set up sans switch, I think people set something at 95% to achieve the same result.

i'd be interested to know this as well. i have a ton of presets with wha as the first block, but i haven't ried switching to 1M yet....just interested to know in what way it sounds better... :)

The reason the Wah engages abruptly is because it switches the input impedance. Setting Input-Z to 1M overrides the impedance switch (and, frankly, sounds better IMO).
Is there any disadvantages with this setting, say with active pickups, or low output passives? I admit I dont really know how pickup impedance affects input impedance on the Axe-fx II.
Because this has fixed any issue I was having with the wah block. Holy hell, thanks.

thanks to the thread starter and reply from cliff.
was facing the same abrupt on/off issue and had assumed it was the nature of the beast.
tried out the input imp setting and all's well now..

Back
Top Bottom