AXE FX II + Analog Overdrives

IMAG0748_1.jpg

I'm impressed with the huge edition ability of the AXE FXII, I really can match the sound of my beloved analoge overdrives... The sound... but the dynamic range... is still missing a little "head room"... I really tweaked it... I can get it very close but not 100% matched the dynamic range of my analog overdrives...

So as I have enough space in my board to fit the MFC and other things, I decided to carry some of my analog overdrives and using them with the AXE FX II... and I'm really happy with the results!!! I've got a wonderful tone and response...

Are you guys using analog overdrives with the AXE too? :)

I have just set up an overdrive pedal in my rig as well, i do have one question in regards to your layout? Where in the chain is the overdrive pedal placed in your rig? I am just wanting to see different scenarios for different ideas. Thanks,

I have just set up an overdrive pedal in my rig as well, i do have one question in regards to your layout? Where in the chain is the overdrive pedal placed in your rig? I am just wanting to see different scenarios for different ideas. Thanks,
Hi! I always put my analog overdrive pedals direct to the "instrument input" of my AXE FX II or my AX8... just like I do with a real amp... ;-)

AX8 PreDrive.jpg

How can an overdrive pedal increase dynamic range if, by definition, it clips and inherently compresses sound?

Yes... I agree... I'm talking about the dynamic range of my analog overdrives compared to the Fractal´s drive pedal emulations... The drive emulation in the AXE sound amazing, just like the real thing!... but the "head room" is still better in my analog overdrive pedals... so, if I can bring my analog pedals in my board to improve the sound and response of the AXE or AX8... I will do! ;-)

I use a SDD clone boost pedal as well in front of my Axe8. The dynamic range with the pedal is leagues above the emulation in the AxeFx. I tried tweaking a lot and could just not get there.

I use a SDD clone boost pedal as well in front of my Axe8. The dynamic range with the pedal is leagues above the emulation in the AxeFx. I tried tweaking a lot and could just not get there.

Exactly! We can get almost the same sound, but the dynamic range is still missing something...

What is your SDD overdrive? :)

Are you guys referring to how clean or dirty the tone is compared to how hard you're hitting the strings?
Yes, you are right... and also the volume level from low to high hitting the strings too... in the analog overdrives the headroom from low to high is wider, smoother and more gradual... The digital emulation of the AXE are more compressed, in sound and response... ;-)

But even the drive emulation in the AXE can't match the response of the analog overdrives, I totally agree that the AXE's digital emulations are the best out there...

I am using an Octavia, tube screamer, fuzz factory and a echoplex style pre, I can clone the TS and the Octavia pretty well, but there is something about the craziness of a fuzz factory that I like, and the echoplex pre just adds something that I really like and am used to as I have had it in every rig for years (it is a clinch FX EP pre for what it is worth).

I am using an Octavia, tube screamer, fuzz factory and a echoplex style pre, I can clone the TS and the Octavia pretty well, but there is something about the craziness of a fuzz factory that I like, and the echoplex pre just adds something that I really like and am used to as I have had it in every rig for years (it is a clinch FX EP pre for what it is worth).

To blend analog with digital is the best! :)

I use the Voyager made by Walrus pedals. Its always on, even for cleans. This little dude is pretty gnarly! adds awesome punch to my dirty channels and tightens up the low-end, and it acts like a killer clean boost on the clean channels. Run in the front of the axe-fx.

Back
Top Bottom