Fixed PI Fuzz .. seems like something wrong

Paulinfl

Inspired
I updated into the Q5-6 firmwares , can't remember which one affected this, because I got 5, then 6 came out shortly after.

Anyhow, many of my patches for a band utilize an arrangement of two drives in series. First a Tube Driver, then a PI Fuzz.

Previously I could run the tube driver in any configuration, and kick on the PI after it, and just add that sizzle the PI adds, and not reduce output volume. With the latest firmware(s), something definitely changed where the PI will not output enough to even keep up with a drive in front of it. I can't achieve unity gain with it anymore when in series if that is saying it right?

Can someone confirm this please?

I've attached a simple preset demonstrating this is repeatable. Just run it with Drive 1 on, then kick on Drive 2. Try to achieve unity gain between drive 1 on all the time and drive 2 toggling on/off

Preset made on Axe FX II Mark II Q6.01

Scene 1 = Drive 1 only
Scene 2 Drive 1(TD) w/ Drive 2 X(PI)
Scene 3 Drive 1(TD) w/ Drive 2 Y(PI alt)

Have a gig this weekend and this kind of messed me up for many song presets.. Think I have to roll back. No biggie but I can't figure out why this is happening.

Thanks for listening

Attachments

• Pi Fuzz Test.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 4
I can confirm rolling back to Q4 fixes the issue. Just did it, and all is well again. Still sounds great! :) Wondering about the above though...

Interesting. I have also noticed an unusual drop in level when engaging the Pi Fuzz that i didn't notice before. I seams to be OK on some amps - maybe the clean channels...

I can confirm that the level of PI Fuzz has changed. Even with Level at 10 I can barely reach unity gain.
But it may be authentic, I don't know.

Last edited:
Thanks for confirmation. I thought I was nuts for a minute. It may be authentic, but I'm just using a technique Gilmour used for this example. However, maybe he modded his pedals for this.. not sure.

Just to clarify as Yek did, You can't even crank output on Drive 2(PI) enough for unity. Drive 1 (Tube Drive), placed before Drive 2, is only at 6. Something seems wrong for sure. It's reducing the DB's of whats put into it.

Back
Top Bottom