Can Anyone help me with Listen to her Heart-Tom Petty

df925

Hey guys,

I'm having difficulty getting the brightness of intro guitar into a patch.

Using a Deluxe Tweed, with 1x12 deluxe tweed mix cab

On the amp model, I have everything default, except for the treble is on 10 and the input is on 1.25

I just cant get the brightness for the intro. any suggestions?

thx
Davis

Here is the what I want it to sound like

anyone able to help me get this bite thats present in the studio recording? The sounds I get from the AX* just dont have the same dynamcs, and I dont know how to get it.

Try a Vox TB or one of the Class-A types (personal fav is the Morgan - it's the AC-20 models in the Axe). It's not only brightness that you're hearing, its the Vox jangle that Fenders don't generally have.

Also, what kind of guitar are you using? I don't know what Mike and Tom played on this song but I'd guess there's a Rickenbacker 12 string. I'd at least suggest you go w/ a single coil like a Strat, maybe try the middle pickup as well - on my PRS 513 the middle pickup can be pretty jangly. A humbucker won't really cut it.

ps. one of my all time fav TP songs :)

We play that song and I use a Strat with the USA amp model with bright switch on. Forgot which cab but can check at home. That gets close, but I will check the Class-A out, too.

Thanks for the responses.

I'd love to hear which Cab you are using. Thats always been the tough part for me.

The amp I use is the USA Pre-Clean with treble turned up. The cab is 4 x 12 USA Lead R121. It's 139 on my system.

This gets close enough for us without a Rickenbacher.

Thanks addedc!

I'll definitely try the USA Pre-Clean

I'm using an ESP H/S/S, its a maverick deluxe from the 90s.

The middle pickup suggestion was a good one.
I seem to have gotten something I like with a princeton, but with the bright switch on.

Here it is uploaded.

Also, any recommendations on the swirly chorus? I'm using a pitch detune, but its not "spacious" enough?

thx!

Attachments

• Listen to her Heart.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 37
Tom and Mike leaned on Vox amps though those times, AC-30s mostly, and old Super Beatles. Guitars were Strats and Teles, Gretches and Rickenbackers, some 12 strings and a lot doubled to sound 12 stringy. Tom used a Marshall head for a while, but still through Vox cabs. You might also try that.

Update: Gave it a quick go with my Tele, and the A-Class 15 preset (Bank 3, Slot 3) was the closest to my ear out of the gate. I'd start there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom