To Tube or Not to Tube With an FX8...

I been using a Roland Blues Cube Artist solid state amp with the FX8 and it works great. The Artist model has a fx loop. Now playing around with this amp and a AX8. Since it has a loop I can run into the return and use the AX8 amp models

More specifically: overdrive and distortion pedals sound like buzzy terribleness when feeding into a solid state amp. No one uses a JC-120 as a clean platform for the pedalboards.

I thought that's literally what everybody who owned a JC-120 used it for. I know I did. Probably one of the best solid state pedal platforms.

Still agree that you'd probably want a smaller tube combo instead. Look into something Fender. Deluxe Reverb or a Hot Rod of some variety are always good choices.

I've used my fx8 with AXEFX, TUBE AMPS, clean and dirty, loop no loop, and in front of solid state amps.
This has become one of my most important pieces of gear.

I love the sound of tube amps. Specially the Vox and marshall. But what really surprised me is my old trusty Peavey solid state, and how the my fx8 sounds so good through it. Peavey Studio Pro 112 Transtube Series. No tube in it but a button on the front to mimic 'tube sound'.
I say bring your fx8 to the guitar store and try all the amps that you like, amps that you wish you have but cannot afford and the amps that you can afford.

I answered my own question. Absolutely no need for a tube amp with my FX8 when I have this. Decided to upgrade my Quilter 101 Mini head to this Tone Block 201. Up to 200 watts of pure clean platform. Still has a very organic, tube quality to it. Not sure what magic Pat Quilter puts in these little things, but I can't say enough good things about his products.

IMG_3207.PNG IMG_3205.PNG

I have a Quilter Pro Block...LOVE it. Used it with my AX8 and a 1X12 last weekend and it KILLED.
Sound tech even commented on how the "little" rig sounds awesome. I often use a head, cab, and 4X12's as well.
Haven't tried it with FX8 yet, however planning on integrating "everything" and having a scalable rig that can easily work for ANY size venue or gig. I have taken my AX8 and the Quilter to fly gigs and no longer worry about backline. I can basically use ANY cab and simply adjust tone via the Quilter controls on the spot, without having to touch the AX8.

The AX8/FX8 combo was something i hadn't thought of, yet makes a ton of sense. I will have to try that as well.

Point is, the little Quilter amps have great options, plenty of headroom, and weigh 4lbs.
For me that is sweet.

Back
Top Bottom