Any help getting this early Police tone?

sskkmm

Power User
I have been on a kick lately working on Summers stuff - So Lonely isn't my favorite tune by any means, but I do like his tone and playing in this concert. I know what his pedalboard was like at this point (there is plenty of stuff online of course) but what always throws me off is figuring out how he has those Marshalls set.

Andy plays around with his pedals a lot in this version - delays come and go and so forth. When he kicks into the solo, there is almost a uni-vibe thing going on, but not sure if it is just his flanger with lots of gain and volume? Any thoughts? And I always wondered if the order of effects on this board was the signal order. Wish I could find a higher rez copy. 7 effects and at least 11 stomps. I know one was a bypass - not sure of the others.

pedalboard-1.jpg

Love Stewart Copeland's Adidas shorts and tube socks. Was pretty much my wardrobe back in 1979.

Didn't Andy also have a CE-1 chorus pedal as well in his arsenal?

The Police were an awesome band and Andy influenced so many guitarists in the early 80's. Along with Gilmour, a lesson in when to play, when not to play and what notes to play.

Sounds like fuzz and phaser of some kind, probably a Phase 90. Sweep sounds a bit too symmetrical to be a UniVibe. He also kicks on a slapback echo in places too, probably an Echoplex tape unit.

Fuzz Face into a Phase 90 into a Tape Echo into a cleanish Marshall 1959SLP into 4x12 cab w/ greenbacks should be a good place to start.

Most of Andy's iconic shimmery chorus sounds come from the EH Electric Mistress Flanger.

Last edited:
Sounds like fuzz and phaser of some kind, probably a Phase 90. Sweep sounds a bit too symmetrical to be a UniVibe. He also kicks on a slapback echo in places too, probably an Echoplex tape unit.

Fuzz Face into a Phase 90 into a Tape Echo into a cleanish Marshall 1959SLP into 4x12 cab w/ greenbacks should be a good place to start.

Most of Andy's iconic shimmery chorus sounds come from the EH Electric Mistress Flanger.
Thanks - yeah I am getting along fine with the later tones (found some good Flanger settings) but this was eluding me. Will give this a shot for sure.

I've seen a video from the early 1980's with Andy going through his rig and effects. Check you-tube.
Oh yes - believe me I have seen just about every video out there as I have been obsessed with Summers for years now. Just finished his book for the second time too. :)
Thanks though...after giving my ears a rest I am getting a bit closer.

Is the AX8 flanger capable of getting the Electric Mistress style flange? If not I was thinking of getting a Mooer ElecLady. Have you had success with the AX8 in this regard? If so, could you share the effect preset or settings?

The Hartman Analog Flanger is a clone of the original (non-Deluxe) Electrix Mistress. There are two versions. The first used the same chip as the original (Panasonic?) and then the revision used a different one. I've been on a hunt for an early one with the correct chip since both my EH and DEH (vintage ones) are noisy.

The Hartman Analog Flanger is a clone of the original (non-Deluxe) Electrix Mistress. There are two versions. The first used the same chip as the original (Panasonic?) and then the revision used a different one. I've been on a hunt for an early one with the correct chip since both my EH and DEH (vintage ones) are noisy.

I had the org Hartman years ago and sold it off for a good sum, as I wasn't' using it that much and prices went way up. Ah well. I have used past thread discussions here and elsewhere to tweak a bit, but have yet to really get something that is worth sharing yet. But I will! Need to get some time at gig volume and this silly county doesn't start school until after Labor Day bleh.... ;) Too many kids in the house to crank it up.

Back
Top Bottom