Android Display Idea - for FCB1010 or other MIDI controller

stringrazor

Inspired
I was thinking (response from all: "uh oh...")...

The FCB1010 is a great, cheap, and flexible device especially with UNO f/w. It lacks however a decent display and the add-ons I've seen make it too expensive to consider (please enlighten me if I'm wrong on that point....). Wouldn't it be nice to be able to use an Android device as an external patch name/info display? Most folks change phones every few years and it's a good bet that a lot of us have extra Android devices around. I've been using a tablet for set lists and chord cheat sheets and even picked up a mic stand mount for it. I also have an old Galaxy Nexus looking for a use.

It doesn't seem like it would be very hard to capture MIDI messages from the FCB, either through a MIDI splitter or using THRU on the AXE/FX, into Android where an app would display text/graphics to show patch info and maybe even the FX/function mapping for each switch. The patch display info would of course have to be independently entered in a config file in the Android app so it's a bit inconvenient but that would keep the app very simple and maybe it might even be possible to cobble something together from existing apps...?

Thoughts/comments/ideas/rotten tomatoes?

This idea is something I've been kicking around for a while. I was thinking of sticking an arduino on the MIDI out of the axe-fx, interpret the message there, and send it BlueTooth to an Android app. Velcro your old phone on the FCB and rock.

Back
Top Bottom