About clipping

From yek's original post above:

• While we're at it, let's be clear about setting Input Level: there's NO relation with digital output clipping / decreasing signal level / adjusting amp gain!

Totally true...but the LED's should show solid red on the input level if I'm pushing the input to 100 correct? That adjustment is to get it to the spot of tickling the red...it doesn't seem to make a difference if I push the input to 100 or in the 40's or 50's. My bass won't even get to the place of tickling the red..even with the input cranked. Everything sounds good..just something I noticed and not sure why.

From the manual:

The Axe-Fx Manual said:
INPUT LEVELS are set with “soft-knobs” on the INPUT page of the I/O menu. Adjust according to the level of input source material until “hot” signals “tickle” the red LEDs on the front panel INPUT meters. The red LED lights at -6 dB (below clipping). Some sources may not reach ideal levels but can still be used with no problems.

Changing input levels will NOT affect what you hear. Inputs are compensated, meaning that as you lower trims to optimize signal-to-noise ratio going into the converters, the output of the converters is adjusted inversely so “what you hear” (and what reaches the signal processor) always remains the same.

No problem. The manual is so big and comprehensive that it's easy to miss something. Still, if I have a question the first place I look is the manual. That manages to answer most of my questions. The second place I look is in the WIKI.

this is helpful, can we expect the same video adapted to the AX8, what would be the ideal db padding for a strat with single coils and lets say an Ibanez Jem 7vwh with hot evolution pickups?

I actually have a question regarding output clipping.
I was reamping some guitars through USB (USB in and out) this week and the output clip led was turning on, but there was no clipping noise and it wasn't clipping in my daw either.
Are the ouput clip ledd only for the analog outputs (meaning at the D/A conversion)?

I was using my single coil fender strat today and i noticed that the signal barely lights the first green light with a 0db pad... is that ok?

The information in this thread applies to the AX8 as well.

The AX8 has a Instrument Input Pad control instead of Input Level. The functionality is the same.

Don't mean to sound ignorant, but what is the ACTUAL consequence of clipping, like as indicated by the red LED on the face of my Mark II?

I've had my unit for almost a year, have played several gigs and recorded several demos with it, I never once paid attention to that detail until now.

Tonally, everything has been great aside from the Fletcher-Munson effect of turning up loud (I create my presets in a low volume environment)

Again, please excuse my ignorance on the subject, I know that clipping causes unwanted distortion and noise when I'm recording in my DAW; but even my clean presets sound absolutely fine at "full clip" when playing through my MK2.

Don't mean to sound ignorant, but what is the ACTUAL consequence of clipping, like as indicated by the red LED on the face of my Mark II?

You answered your own question:
...clipping causes unwanted distortion...

Are you clipping at the input or the output? If you're clipping at the input of the Axe, you're hitting a built-in limiter that softens the clip and doesn't sound as bad as clipping at the output.

Back
Top Bottom