How to import an Impulse response into AX-8?

@chris thanks but where exactly i the delay block can i change the phase pls? i cant see any option in AXE edit and no I'm not summing to mono I use INPUT 1 and 2 on the Apogee Ensemble coming from Out 1 and 2 on AX8,,
i hope you mean Out 1 Left and Right, and not Out 1 and 2.

are the channels PANNED in your Apogee?

Yes Out1 left and right..going to Input 1 and 2. Tried 1 Stereo track and 2 panned mono tracks. in apogee With Config -Stereo I hear both delays l and r..

No I did not do this on the Apogee..

I did this in AXe Edit in the 2290 Effects Block -> Config -> Dual

No I did not do this on the Apogee..

I did this in AXe Edit in the 2290 Effects Block -> Config -> Dual
it probably changes the Phase from reversed. just look for Phase Left and Phase Right in the Delay block when you select 2290.

it sounds like you are summing to mono somewhere.

Phase is in the Ax8, in the Mod tab once you get into the edit page for the delay. Did you ever raise the Mix% like I suggested? I hope so. really sounds like you don't want to|or can't put in the time to learn the simple navigation on the AX8. Please do not take that the wrong way. If you don't or cannot. well. that's that. No crime, no foul. But, It is the same as any other device. Once you learn it you know. When I had a Boss Gt10, it was the same. Until I learned the navigation I was lost. Same with your Zoom I have no doubt. Granted the deeper functions in the axe take some time. But the basic navigation is pretty much like any other device.

Why don't you just try this for now: Using "axe edit" go to the preset you want the delay in. then add the delay, or if already their click on the delay. This will get you to the edit page on the ax8 itself. Then using the page button on the right of the ax8, hit it and you will move thru the tabs. Stop at the mod tab. If you pass the mod tab, keep pressing it will wrap around and you can get to the Mod tab.

Then use the E knob to go up and down. Down you will see what Chris is talking about-the phase parameters and phase rev. You will also see that as you turn the E knob to go down\or up the A_B_C_D letters move with you so you always know which knob will edit the parameter you are on. Try that and please try the Mix%. :)

Just for a reference. It takes about 5-7 seconds to get to the delay edit screen from the preset default view which is footswitch page. But, you do have to know which buttons\knobs to use. But it's the same for every effect or block. I really do understand the frustration of knowing how to edit your device and trying something new. I used axe edit all the time and never really learned the front panel on the axe fx's I owned. I used to get so pissed trying to use the manual, etc. But once I learned which knob does what, it was a piece of cake.

Whatever you wind up doing is cool-it's about the music and you.....Your a good player obviously so that's what matters. The rest are tools.....

Last edited:
Sorry I forget to answer my monitors are M-Audio BX8a, nothing fancy..Stage monitor is Yamaha M60s. Old but good..I'm not going to change any of them..
Wasn't knocking your monitors. I was asking about the EQ settings on the back-that's all....

Stratman..thanks again for all help suggestions and comments. My studio monitors are set flat.I talked to the European distributor. They are super-friendly and are giving me the whole month of july to try out longer.Thanks for the detailed description.controlling the unit.I'll check that out. Still hunting for that smooth lead tone I'm so used to..

Stratman..thanks again for all help suggestions and comments. My studio monitors are set flat.I talked to the European distributor. They are super-friendly and are giving me the whole month of july to try out longer.Thanks for the detailed description.controlling the unit.I'll check that out. Still hunting for that smooth lead tone I'm so used to..

Did you tried plug the AX8 directly to the monitors? I am suspecting that maybe your audio interface is summing...

Also, I would make a full global settings reset and a firmware update in the AX8 just to be sure you are not missing anything.

Maybe if you could record and post here it would be helpful, since people could hear and maybe figure it out the issue. :)

Best of luck dude! The unit sounds awesome, hard to believe you can't get a good tone out of it. Definitely sounds something wrong in your setup... :(

Great! What bsas suggested is a good idea. Have you tried the Wreckers for a smooth lead tone? I love those. Their are a few in their. I have used those for leads for many years now. Can you hear it ring is the Wrecker express. Bank 27 has some Wreckers and others for nice leads. Also Fox ODS. Remember, When I suggest these, I have tweaked them for my system and my Fender Strat. Although they are not bad right out of the Box. The Comet Concourse is nice also. You might try just a basic Amp\Cab\reverb or delay if needed, with various amps. Factory cab 61 works well for a start with the wreckers. And of course their are the Mesa's. My other fav for leads. Like you said, many have the gain way up, I just turn it down. Like the USA IIC+ USA Lead (any)...always smooth for me. Factory 172, or the Cali cabs work for me with the mesas. And always the 4x12 Rumble EV's. Ok, I'll shut up now. These are just what works for me....so, YMMV...Good Luck..Glad your stickin for a while longer.

Ok! I made a first patch from scratch. Used a Suhr Amp. Still not 100% convinced..I'll try the ones u suggested
Anyways here is a soundbyte with the patch I made.

Sounds ok to me....But you don't sound thrilled obviously. try a few of the ones I mentioned the wreckers and the mesas have sustain for days without that hi end fizz. Because they are very much like the amps themselves.. But, like I said these are just my choices. The dizzy vH channel 3 is also nice out of the box for crunch or solos. I added some treble to mine. I could keep naming them.

Also, I don't see this anywhere in this thread. Not sure what you used before the zoom or how long you have been using the zoom. But don't you "feel" the difference in the Ax8? The way the guitar responds like a real tube amp. The way the volume control responds like a real amp? That is a huge part of the axefx appeal. Just curious.

Forgot to mention the ODS-100 Lead. very smooth for solos. Just realized you have the whole month of July. That is fabulous.......

I switched the speaker to a 4x12 EV, sounds a bit better, the Wreckers are interesting.i still have amps and still play a Fender Supersonic. But you mentionned it. I have not discovered this whole "responds like a real amp thing" yet.ust soI'll check the ODS 100.There's just so many options..

Ok! I made a first patch from scratch. Used a Suhr Amp. Still not 100% convinced..I'll try the ones u suggested

It may be your note selection I enjoy but the tone sounds good to me. Keep at it I'm sure you'll find what your looking for.

Am I death or it sounds really good? :)

I would like to you to describe what you didn't like on that recording, so I could have a better idea of why you aren't still 100% convinced, please.

I switched the speaker to a 4x12 EV, sounds a bit better, the Wreckers are interesting.i still have amps and still play a Fender Supersonic. But you mentioned it. I have not discovered this whole "responds like a real amp thing" yet.ust soI'll check the ODS 100.There's just so many options..

The ev rumbles? All the ev's are great. The 1x12 Bludo mix, Factory 11 I think, is really nice for many amps. The factory cabs with the ML after them are ALL good. Guys a long time forumite and makes great IRS......Mikko. Well, so many good factory cabs now it's amazing.

Back
Top Bottom