So I got my Matrix FR12...

The FR10 is a lightweight, full range, flat response cabinet aimed at users of compact modelling amplifiers, such as the Line6 Helix, Fractal AX8 and Kemper "toaster". Featuring a 10" bass driver and a 1" compression driver, the FR10 delivers a clean, powerful sound from a comapct and lightweight cab.

A 300w built-in, 2 channel, fanless power amplifier drives the cab, with a full function digital signal processor to provide the equalisation and limiting. Comprehensive limiteers protect the drivers, and a simple push-button switch enables you to switch between "flat" "loudness correction" and "bass cut" modes. Flashes on the LED indicate which mode is active. In-built limit detection causes the LED to flash rapidly if the amplifier limits are exceeded.

Built from lightweight tonewoods and high quality neodymium drivers, the FR12 is a powerful and compact solution that can be used at home, in the practice room or on stage to release the true potential of the latest generation of digital amp modelling equipment.

Specifications:

Drivers: 10" plus 1" compression

Power: 300W

Frequency Response: 50Hz to 20kHz

Voltage 120V or 230V (internally selectable)

Power Consumption: 5A

Size: 20.5” x 12” x 12” (dwh) or 52cm x 30cm x30cm

Weight: 9.7 Kg or 21lbs

Thanks for the info, strange business... Haven't seen their stuff in Europe yet.
Negotiating with Mambo Amps about a small custom FRFR monitor at the moment...

Matrix told me they are working through the waitlist, afterwards these new cabs are available to the public:

BY INVITATION ONLY
This product is currently only available to people on our "wait list" .. if you have been sent an invitation directly by Matrix, please feel free to purchase. If you have been passed this link by a well-meaning friend, please contact Matrix to be added to the waiting list.

Last edited:
I got a GT1000FX and 2 x NL212 and also have an FRFR setup, got 2 x 12" XiTone passive cabs that I feed with the Matrix amp.

I'm happy on both ends, sound is good on both setups but I'm more for Matrix cabs specially because of the weight thing.

I'm thinking to replace my XiTone cabs with the new FR but I really don’t know whether to go with the 10 or the 12, it's not the $$$ or size or weight that maters, it's only the sound.

I would really appreciate a good objective feedback comparing the 10" with the 12".

Thanks.

I got a GT1000FX and 2 x NL212 and also have an FRFR setup, got 2 x 12" XiTone passive cabs that I feed with the Matrix amp.

I'm happy on both ends, sound is good on both setups but I'm more for Matrix cabs specially because of the weight thing.

I'm thinking to replace my XiTone cabs with the new FR but I really don’t know whether to go with the 10 or the 12, it's not the $$$ or size or weight that maters, it's only the sound.

I would really appreciate a good objective feedback comparing the 10" with the 12".

Thanks.

They sound about the same to me but the 12 has a bit more low end.

Thanks.

The bass on your Axe-Fx presets really needs to be reigned in or it won't handle well

Hmmm....what does it mean? is the FR is over bassy or somethng else?
if the 12" is over bass, maybe the 10” is better after all…?

I’m very happy with my sound as is, the presets works perfect for both setups, the traditional cab and the FRFR, I don’t want to start play with again.

One thing I forgot to mention. The amp on the FR10 was hot as fucking hell at the end of practice. It's a good thing I have guitar player finger tip calluses - the XLR Jack release and the XLR plug were fucking hot.

I'm going to email Matrix about this.

The CLR amp gets a little warm perhaps but nothing I'd call hot. I need to try running the FR12 for an extended period to see if it gets hot too.
Hi HippieTim,

I am considering the FR10 or the FR12. Have you had a chance to see if the FR12 also ran as hot as the FR 10 ?

In your experience with both, what is your opinion on the increased size and weight of the FR12 - is it worth it in terms of sound versus the FR10. Although I like the size and weight of the FR10 just curious if you think the FR12 would be a better choice for situations playing small rooms live with a 4 piece classic rock band (not suing FOH for instruments). I currently use a Matrix GT1000 and either a 1x12 or 2x12 for the small venues.

Thanks.

Hmmm....what does it mean? is the FR is over bassy or somethng else?
if the 12" is over bass, maybe the 10” is better after all…?

I’m very happy with my sound as is, the presets works perfect for both setups, the traditional cab and the FRFR, I don’t want to start play with again.

Generally the patches as they are are more suited to use with a regular guitar cab. (IMHO) For FRFR the resonance in the speaker tab needs dropping from the 110hz it seems to be around or it'll seem boomy. Either that or other steps to lower the bottom end. My personal go to though is drop the frequency from 110hz to around 85-90hz.

Hi HippieTim,

I am considering the FR10 or the FR12. Have you had a chance to see if the FR12 also ran as hot as the FR 10 ?

In your experience with both, what is your opinion on the increased size and weight of the FR12 - is it worth it in terms of sound versus the FR10. Although I like the size and weight of the FR10 just curious if you think the FR12 would be a better choice for situations playing small rooms live with a 4 piece classic rock band (not suing FOH for instruments). I currently use a Matrix GT1000 and either a 1x12 or 2x12 for the small venues.

I still haven't played any electric guitar in like 10 days now. I'm hoping to get some time in tonight - I've got rehearsals coming up so I need to.

I've spent the week playing through my FR10 - its is ace for what I need it to do. I haven't tried it in a band context yet, but for solo use my patches sound absolutely mint through it! Crystal clear at all volumes, with the DSP controls working excellently (especially the Equal Loudness Mode for when I'm playing at low levels).

I run a low and high cut in my cab block on all my presets (around 80hz and 7000 hz) and I haven't run into any problems with low or high end through the FR10 as of yet. I can't speak for the FR12 though as I haven't played one!

The back runs hot, but I spoke to the guys at Matrix who assured me this was normal - as I'm only touching the back to pull out the speaker cable, adjust the volume or turn it on its not burnt my fingers clean off yet haha, but yeah something to watch out for.

Did a quick sorta demo of it on my Facebook page if it interests you - just noodling through some of my patches :) www.facebook.com/alexwardguitarist/videos - its called 'Matrix Amplification FR10 Monitor Demo' :)

I just got a FR12 to replace my Verve. One night in, I like it. I do have a question about how other users are setting levels. The FR12 manual says to feed it 0db signal. To level my sounds, my patches range from -17db to -3db. Are you other users averaging your patches around 0db or are you using that for the loudest patch and then adjusting the others down from that?

So after having the FR12 for a week, I had a chance to use it in a rehearsal yesterday. First off, a much easier climb up the stairs. It's about half the weight of my FBT Verve 12ma. While the Verve sounds great when dialed into, I did have to use Global EQ adjustments to flatten it. That always made it a bit hard to dial in tones.

The Matrix sounded great with no adjustments. Tones I set up with my studio monitors and then tried at bedroom volume with the DSP switch engaged translated really well to gig volume. Pretty much only needed to turn down the treble on a few patches. Very punchy speaker that pushes more pants-flapping air than the Verve. I was mostly using Fender, Marshall, Vox and Mesa tones with the AXE-8 and they all sounded great.

My only issue is that it has side handles only and no easy way to attach a strap for one-handed carry. If anyone figured out an easy DYI fix for that, I am all ears. My thought is to put some hardware that you can affix a strap to in the carry handles but there is probably a better idea.

It does run hot as well. Apparently that is normal though.

I have the FR12 (went from using JBL EON 510's)

I just emailed Andy last night about this very thing. Even though the book says it runs hot, I had to ask. After a 2 hour rehearsal the XLR was so hot along with the fin, I was worried that this cab will not last over time.
Andy's response was "It's designed to run hot". I guess we shall see.
I play in two bands and they are both loud. The FR12 keeps up no problem. I did have to redo all my patches when I bought the FR12. Lots of bottom end!!!!!
You can carry this thing with one hand as it has built in handles.

But my only issue is that I want to tilt it up.

I tried the Onstage tilt but the fin gets in the way and it doesn't sit right. I don't want to lean it against anything as the back needs a lot of air due to how hot it runs.
The items that tilt from the front....I'm worried I won't get enough of a tilt and if I tilt too far for my liking it will fall over.

I thought of screwing some type of angle bracket or hinge to the back but I'm sure that would void the warranty and I don't want to screw up the cabinet.
Any one have any ideas?

I have the FR12 (went from using JBL EON 510's)

I just emailed Andy last night about this very thing. Even though the book says it runs hot, I had to ask. After a 2 hour rehearsal the XLR was so hot along with the fin, I was worried that this cab will not last over time.
Andy's response was "It's designed to run hot". I guess we shall see.
I play in two bands and they are both loud. The FR12 keeps up no problem. I did have to redo all my patches when I bought the FR12. Lots of bottom end!!!!!
You can carry this thing with one hand as it has built in handles.

But my only issue is that I want to tilt it up.

I tried the Onstage tilt but the fin gets in the way and it doesn't sit right. I don't want to lean it against anything as the back needs a lot of air due to how hot it runs.
The items that tilt from the front....I'm worried I won't get enough of a tilt and if I tilt too far for my liking it will fall over.

I thought of screwing some type of angle bracket or hinge to the back but I'm sure that would void the warranty and I don't want to screw up the cabinet.
Any one have any ideas?

Ultimate AMP150
http://www.ultimatesupport.com/amp-150.html

Back
Top Bottom