FAS Amp Block Issues

why did you turn off the drive to do a test? typically you want the fewest variables changing.

in the BLUE preset, when changing to the FAS Modern, it sounded similar, meaning it sounded almost the same as the 5153 Blue amp type.
I turned off the drive because the Silent Underground preset does not have a drive.

In your opinion... do you think these amp sims sound "off" from what you would expect?

Yes, I did. I reset everything I can think of search for and find. System Param, Block Definitions and Re-installed firmware 2 times. I have tried it on another axe fx 2 XL (I have at work) with the same results. The source has been sending out new presets each day. Each one I download and try sound nothing like the video example. They sound less distorted and and flubby in the low end. It's like as if his patches have a drive block in front of the amp, tightening them up and making them crispy and crunchy. When I import his presets though, there is no drive block. His latest preset I downloaded today and it sounded bassy with very little gain. Nothing like the video...

Hey guys, Daniel from Silent Underground...

I never use an OD for #PresetADay presets - Just the EQ, because an EQ lets the user adjust the tone going into the amp to get the wanted attack, thump tightness etc... It is no different from how 99.99999% of guitarist set up their ODs anyway - an EQ'd clean boost.

When the amp is responding flubby I pull out the LMids, up or down the Mid if the gain to attack ratios are off to me, up or down the Hmids for more or less aggression and Up or down the Highs for desired pick attack.

I go in trying to get an aggressive modern and fairly tight tone from each amp, without trying to drastically change the overall amps characteristic or overall tone. If its a fuzzy Orange, i want it to stay that way, but maybe with a touch more clarity.

I have zero idea why you can't get gain out of these, this month we have had over 3000 downloads of these FREE presets and so far you are the only person reporting the issue.

There is absolutely nothing special about the setup of these presets, the ONLY difference from most, is that I use the GEQ as a clean boost instead of an OD. The guitar used in 100% of the clips is an ElCheapo LTD TE-406 with EMG 81/60.

I am even running these presets with way way more gain then I would ever use myself, because I know that people don't play anywhere near as heavy handed as me and also LOVE having their input trim low. For example, in my Metallica Tone Match videos I personal drop the GEQs output back to 0 because I get all the gain I need from my picking - but the presets are set to +10/15 boost because when they first came out set that low, most people had trouble getting the desired amount of gain.

I've attached a screen shot of the EQ Block driving the amp, and the Amp block settings below.

My advice is to open a new blank preset and copy these settings from the screen shots over manually - There is no reasonable explanation to why you would not have an abundance of gain from most of these presets. If they sound right by manually entering the values, then there might be an issue going from AXE FX II to XL - Though no on has report that to be the case so far... If they still sound wrong, then there may be other issues from your end.

Thanks,

Daniel ~

Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 2.14.13 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 2.01.03 PM.png

Daniel thanks for your help bro. I will go screen by screen. I actually started doing this on today's Friedman BE preset and it was sounding better already but I am not through the all the screens. It's just weird that the import is not even close on my axe fx's. You heard the SoundCloud sample, so you can testify it's not the same.

I am not doubting your presets by the way... I think I may have something whacky going on either in my axe fx settings or something I am missing entirely.

I will report back on the FAS Rythm Patch in the next 48 hours. It's late in this side of the globe. Peace. :)

Back
Top Bottom