New Cab Pack! OBOT THE ROBOT

I'm loving the vintage vibes I get with this Cab Pack. :) I really liked the IIC+ and AX V30 cabs. I really enjoyed how fat this pack made my Strat sound. :)

EDIT: You're hearing all the 4 cabs in this clip. 1) Carol-Ann 2) IIC+ 3) AX GB 4) AX V30.

Cool! Does the first one have some room in it?

I'm loving the vintage vibes I get with this Cab Pack. :) I really liked the IIC+ and AX V30 cabs. I really enjoyed how fat this pack made my Strat sound. :)

EDIT: You're hearing all the 4 cabs in this clip. 1) Carol-Ann 2) IIC+ 3) AX GB 4) AX V30.

Cool! Does the first one have some room in it?
Cheers buddy! No room mics in these clips. I'm not the biggest fan of it to be honest. I did mix all the best mic positions of all available mics of each cab though to really get the full sound. :)

Good demo. I'd have to say that my favorite cab from your clip was the Carol-Ann. The Strat with the Carol-Ann had the best low-end and midrange with the least amount of fizz nodes.

So for all your guys who shoot IR's how important is the cab really? Since you are so closely micing the speakers one might think can is kind of irrelevant

So for all your guys who shoot IR's how important is the cab really? Since you are so closely micing the speakers one might think can is kind of irrelevant
I would say that it is important. It's kind of like the "speakers = pickups" and "the cabinet = the guitar". Not the best comparison but kind of.

The biggest difference will always be the speakers and how long they've been used and in what way. If a cabinet (and speakers) were toured for a long time you know they've got some mojo. That is the most important reason why Cab Pack 13, Cab Pack 19 and Cab Pack 20 are some of the most liked packs I've created. Those cabs looked like they went to war.

If the cab and speakers have been sitting in a studio and barely used then they're not ready for IR shooting IMHO. For example the Zilla cabs that I just got from Paul (from Zilla) went through a wear down process to ensure that I'm working with something that's not too fresh. I did an A/B of before and after the wear down and with some speakers there wasn't a big difference but most speakers got more neutral and smooth in just two overnight wear downs. Now imagine a cab that was toured for 10 years. :)

Others can him chime in, but in non-tech terms, the cabinet used gives the amplified sound a certain resonance on frequencies and a focus. There is a reason an open-back cabinet and closed back cabinet or single/dual bass ported cabinets do not sound the same, even with the exact same speaker installed in each. Or why a plywood cabinet may sound different from birch or pine, for example. Just like guitars -- the wood can make a difference in the tone.

Other than the players fingers and guitar, I really agree with Cliff's statement that the cabinet is 1/2 of the sound, the amp is the other half.

Great IRs. If you are looking for a way to "thicken" your tones, try these IRs.

Back
Top Bottom