Basic stupid question re collecting IRs

henryrobinett

Fractal Fanatic
I haven't jumped deep into the IR cab pool yet. What do you guys/gals (if there are any - another good question) use to collect and index all of your cab IRs? Cab-Lab? Is there a single place you can place ALL of your IR cabs to audition and Load and organize in multiple ways? I mean click a category and you have all 1-12" 1-12, 15", Bass, or by manufacturer or preference?

It seems to me Cab Lab is for mixing and creating new IRs by altering existing ones. Am I right? I have it but haven't used it too much.

Is it best to just do what I'm saying in multiple saved internal memory accessed through Axe-Edit or Axe8 Edit? Just load my various IRs in various saved categories? I know. I'm missing some real basic information.

I dipped into IR files early and deeply with my Axe-FX. This morning's file count for my IR directory is 71,000+ files for 1.49 GB. I have a directory at the same level as the Fractal Audio directory for Axe-Edit that holds IRs. They are divided into directories based on their source such as My Mixes, Fractal Cab Packs, RW, OwnHammer, etc. I have YET to create a master listing or index but recognize it would be very valuable.

I use Cab-Lab to mix IR and make my own blends; audition and save. I also use it for converting IR to Axe-FX *.syx format.

I'd love to see how others handle this as well, great question!!

Nobody huh? In the old synth days we called the librarians. What we need, or what I need to find is a librarian for cabs and patches. Where you can easily audition.

Nobody huh? In the old synth days we called the librarians. What we need, or what I need to find is a librarian for cabs and patches. Where you can easily audition.

I think the next version of FracTool may address this, at least the auditioning part

I use Finder and its tagging system.

So all my IRs are organized by producer in an "Impulse Responses" folder:

Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 8.38.19 AM.png
And when I find IRs I like I use Finder's tags to mark them. Green for IRs I really like. Yellow for IRs I kind of like.

Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 8.38.52 AM.png
I can now use Finder's search function to limit my view of IRs in a folder or a folder hierarchy to just IRs matching a particular tag colour. For example, here's a search of just this folder for IRs that are tagged green.

Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 8.41.41 AM.png
The nice thing about relying on OS tagging and searching features is that filtering and finding IRs like this works from any application that implements the default OS picker dialog for opening files. It also works well for drag-and-drop operations from Finder to other applications that support drag-and-drop of IR files.

I'm looking at those screen shots...I should really rename the tags as well! :D You can alter the tag names in Finder's preferences:

Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 8.44.56 AM.png

Also, for the curious: I've got 39,023 files in my "Library" folder. The "Archive" folder contains the compressed archive of every IR bundle I've bought. I don't have the Redwirez bundle unarchived in my library right now -- that'd add a considerable number of files to the collection.

View attachment 32825
And when I find IRs I like I use Finder's tags to mark them. Green for IRs I really like. Yellow for IRs I kind of like.

View attachment 32826
I can now use Finder's search function to limit my view of IRs in a folder or a folder hierarchy to just IRs matching a particular tag colour. For example, here's a search of just this folder for IRs that are tagged green.

View attachment 32827
The nice thing about relying on OS tagging and searching features is that filtering and finding IRs like this works from any application that implements the default OS picker dialog for opening files. It also works well for drag-and-drop operations from Finder to other applications that support drag-and-drop of IR files.

I'm looking at those screen shots...I should really rename the tags as well! :D You can alter the tag names in Finder's preferences:

View attachment 32828
VERY insightful and helpful, thanks again, Ian

v

Nice use of the OS feature! Interestingly I just tested this and created tags for IR by cabinet/speaker type and size. Could also do it for microphones and their locations ...... interesting ......

Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Good. I kind of do that by happenstance. I was hoping for an app for that. But that's good. Thanks for the reminder.

Back
Top Bottom