Hello bass players

MrJansreb

Hey everybody, just wanted to finally jump into this forum. I've been lurking for over a year, and finally took the dive. Sold off 2 bass heads and a cabinet and picked up an Axe FX II XL off reverb. It just showed up today, so I'm building my first presets. I wanted to say a big thanks to all the bass players here for all the info and tips. I can already tell that I've made exactly the right decision. Anyway, hello from Northern California and a sincere thanks for all the info and experience you have shared here in relation to the bass side of the Axe FX world.

Hello there. Welcome to the liberating world of modeling. Let us know if you run into anything or need/want to chat. I'll be putting together a few presets and release them as a "pack" sometime next month. :)

G'day Mr Jansreb

Welcome!....There's a little bass stuff around. Also some free IRs, but we'll let you get up to speed with it before boring you with all that stuff :)
What sort of bass sounds are you chasing?

Pauly

Hey everybody, just wanted to finally jump into this forum. I've been lurking for over a year, and finally took the dive. Sold off 2 bass heads and a cabinet and picked up an Axe FX II XL off reverb. It just showed up today, so I'm building my first presets. I wanted to say a big thanks to all the bass players here for all the info and tips. I can already tell that I've made exactly the right decision. Anyway, hello from Northern California and a sincere thanks for all the info and experience you have shared here in relation to the bass side of the Axe FX world.
G'day Mr Jansreb

While I'm really a guitar player that occasionally plays bass (for my own recordings), I am currently trying to convince the bassist in my band to convert.

So, last weekend I decided to prep a bass preset to show him. I ended up playing bass by myself for about 3 hours... And ended up with a dual amp preset using SVT and Orange amps with a stereo cab combining a 4x10 and and 15... And added a few basic bonus effects like and auto wah and an octave divider. Super fun and sounds great!

What part of NorCal are you in? I'm in Vacaville.

@selta Looking forward to trying out your presets. I've been on talkbass for about 6 years and some of your posts there really helped me make the jump. I watched some videos of your band and enjoy your tone.

@pauly I dumped off an Ampeg and an EBS Fafner so my tone chase is varied. I play every week at the church, and they tend to prefer a more classic bass tone, but I'm also a metal head( I know, church-going metal head) and love going for a more aggressive tone when I'm playing at home. I have a few Warwick Corvettes and a Stingray 5 HH as well as a Rickenbacker, so I'm into a little of everything on bass. I do play a little guitar as well and love messing with effects. The Axe seems very capable of covering all my bases.

@jimfist Thanks!

@unix-guy Sounds interesting. I'll have to try something similar tonight when I get off work. I live just north of Sacramento in Marysville. I've been down your way a few times heading to bay-area shows and Giants games.

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. I only have one question at this point. I was trying to do an overall test of the unit as it is used. I was utilizing the headphone jack and scrolling through the presets. I switched to one and ended up with sound only through the left side of my phones. Switching presets didn't fix it so I cycled power, and haven't been able to duplicate that behavior. Any thoughts? Is there any sort of pan setting that might have been engaged and panned my sound all the way left? I don't have a foot controller yet, so I didn't initially attempt to interact with the effects blocks on the preset.

Welcome to fractal land! As far as the headphone problem maybe the previous owner used those presets and had the signal split some kind of way? Are they factory presets or user created?

I would suggest doing a full factory reset and reload of all factory presets to start. Make sure you're on the latest firmware after that and see if there are any issues. If so, post the preset(s) giving you issues and a description of the issue. :) There are a lot of things the original owner could've set that can be giving you headaches - easier to start from a clean slate, IMO.

Glad I was able to "push you over", as it were :). I know a LOT of folks on TB have asked me questions and I've sent a lot this way. I believe you're probably the 5th or 6th bassist that has picked up either an Axe-Fx II or an AX8/FX8 based off of that :).

I did update to the latest firmware but have not installed the factory presets. I will get to that straight away this evening.

It does seem like a lot of people over at tb simply disregard posts about modeling. I don't really get it. I've sold a fraction of my gear to pay for the Axe and can now avoid lugging 100+ lbs of gear around. Seems like a win win.

I did update to the latest firmware but have not installed the factory presets. I will get to that straight away this evening.

It does seem like a lot of people over at tb simply disregard posts about modeling. I don't really get it. I've sold a fraction of my gear to pay for the Axe and can now avoid lugging 100+ lbs of gear around. Seems like a win win.

Agreed. I dumped my Ampeg SVT Classic tube head and mothballed my 8x10 years ago and never really feel like I've missed anything. To the contrary, now it sounds better, more flexible, easier to lug, thanks to modeling.

I think bassists on TB are open to modeling to some extent, but they get sticker shock.

@selta Looking forward to trying out your presets. I've been on talkbass for about 6 years and some of your posts there really helped me make the jump. I watched some videos of your band and enjoy your tone.

@pauly I dumped off an Ampeg and an EBS Fafner so my tone chase is varied. I play every week at the church, and they tend to prefer a more classic bass tone, but I'm also a metal head( I know, church-going metal head) and love going for a more aggressive tone when I'm playing at home. I have a few Warwick Corvettes and a Stingray 5 HH as well as a Rickenbacker, so I'm into a little of everything on bass. I do play a little guitar as well and love messing with effects. The Axe seems very capable of covering all my bases.

@jimfist Thanks!

@unix-guy Sounds interesting. I'll have to try something similar tonight when I get off work. I live just north of Sacramento in Marysville. I've been down your way a few times heading to bay-area shows and Giants games.

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. I only have one question at this point. I was trying to do an overall test of the unit as it is used. I was utilizing the headphone jack and scrolling through the presets. I switched to one and ended up with sound only through the left side of my phones. Switching presets didn't fix it so I cycled power, and haven't been able to duplicate that behavior. Any thoughts? Is there any sort of pan setting that might have been engaged and panned my sound all the way left? I don't have a foot controller yet, so I didn't initially attempt to interact with the effects blocks on the preset.

Cool - I'm very familiar with Marysville / Yuba City area. My family camped for years at Collins Lake and for the last 10+ years have owned vacation property in Challenge (near Bullard's Bar).

A quick search resolved the issue... turn off flash-based uploader :)

I dialed this preset in on an old Washburn 4 string bass with really old strings a passive P/J pickup config via 1964 Audio V6s IEMs.

So, I'm trying to say, your mileage may vary! I'd be interested to hear what you guys think.

Basic sound has a bit of compression and a bit of reverb (otherwise, IEMs sound a bit poopy). Engage other effects at will :D

Attachments

• DoubleBass.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom