Your preferred pedalboard velcro?

Morbid

Inspired
Hey gang.
Purchased a used Pedaltrain not too long ago with the velcro already attached. Seems like very standard nothing special velcro, and I find myself concerned about it's ability to hang onto the heavy MFC101.
I've seen some people use industrial strength velcro that basically seems like strong plastic with nubbies (har har)that interlock, but I've also know people who've had good luck with just regular velcro.

So I'm wondering, should I get some regular velcro to put on the bottom of my MFC101 and use the Pedaltrain as it is? Or should I remove the velcro from the Pedaltrain and start over?

Whats your experience(s)/opinion?

Hey gang.
Purchased a used Pedaltrain not too long ago with the velcro already attached. Seems like very standard nothing special velcro, and I find myself concerned about it's ability to hang onto the heavy MFC101.
I've seen some people use industrial strength velcro that basically seems like strong plastic with nubbies (har har)that interlock, but I've also know people who've had good luck with just regular velcro.

So I'm wondering, should I get some regular velcro to put on the bottom of my MFC101 and use the Pedaltrain as it is? Or should I remove the velcro from the Pedaltrain and start over?

Whats your experience(s)/opinion?
I have use standard velcro on my boards for 20+ years of touring. I've never had a pedal come loose. I know people also really like Dual Lock and other industrial-rated velcro. I have my MFC-101, a pair of EV-1 pedals, and a Mission control pedal, all mounted on a board with standard velcro. The MFC-101 has two strips of velcro on it, and hasn't moved at all in the years it's been touring on that pedalboard.

Dual lock is crazy strong. Just make sure you get the clear stuff, the black version leaves sticky residue if removed. And +1: don't get the strongest version.

Just don't go with 400 density. It's the strongest of them all. You won't separate your pedals from PT without crowbar
You aren't kidding! A friend of mine adhered a PodXTLive to a PedtalTrain board with that 400 density Dual Lock. He used three strips, which covered around 75% of the back of that pedal. When he finally decided to replace it, we couldn't get it to budge. We had to use a heat gun to soften the adhesive backing, and then peeled the pedal off, leaving the velcro behind! The same treatment was necessary to get it off the PedalTrain board.

I like to drill my pedal board and use screws through the board into the original screw locations on the pedals. I hate the residue left over from Velcro and such. for stomp pedals those new boards that are like swiss cheese so you can tie strap the pedals down look like they would be cool for the ever changing rotation.

You only need small squares of dual lock too. No need to cover the entire bottom of your pedals with it, else you'll need a crowbar to pry them off.

Confirming Dual Lock as the ONLY choice.
Definitely get the clear, though. The black is a nightmare to remove.
The clear is easier? In what way?
As far removing the Dual Lock from the pedalboard/pedals you're mounting it to, or as far adhering to itself?

Standard velcro works fine if you let it settle down properly instead of placing the pedals to it and yank them around or take the pedalboard to a gig the same night.

Another vote for Dual Lock. I picked up a box like THIS a long time ago. It contains two different density fasteners. I cut 1" squares and use them on many different pedalboard builds. No need for long strips. Eight 1" squares is plenty for a MFC-101, AX8, or FX8.

The clear is easier? In what way?
As far removing the Dual Lock from the pedalboard/pedals you're mounting it to, or as far adhering to itself?
Removing the black from a pedalboard/pedals is a laborious process, as the black ones have a layer of foam-like material that gets really slimy.

Back
Top Bottom