AX8 arrived..question regarding volume and clarity

codyraptor

Inspired
hey everyone. I'm a long time AXE II user, so I'm very familiar with how to utilize the controls. I noticed the AX8 is not even in the same ballpark as far as output volume. Is this a known bug, or just a difference in units? Also...it might be the volume that's fooling me, but the overall sound seems to not have the clarity. AXE II sounds almost 4 dimensional and the 8 sounds like it's in another room. Is this just a difference between units?

Perhaps the main output (1) on the I/O page is set at -10b instead of +4db?

Manual:

OUT 1 (MAIN) NOMINAL LEVEL: Sets the nominal level of Output 1. +4 dBu is the default. It is designed for use with professional audio equipment. It is unlikely you will ever need to change this setting. Use the -10 dBV setting for consumer-grade or other equipment. The product manual for your connected equipment should indicate whether it operates at +4 dBu or -10 dBV. (Some devices are switchable.)

hey everyone. I'm a long time AXE II user, so I'm very familiar with how to utilize the controls. I noticed the AX8 is not even in the same ballpark as far as output volume. Is this a known bug, or just a difference in units? Also...it might be the volume that's fooling me, but the overall sound seems to not have the clarity. AXE II sounds almost 4 dimensional and the 8 sounds like it's in another room. Is this just a difference between units?
where is your out1 knob turned to?

Same as AXE II. Right at 50%.

I have observed that you have to be more diligent in "tickling the reds" philosophy. When gain staging your amps, take note of where your VU meters are at and what you set your amp levels at when getting it to tickle the reds.

I have only noticed small overall volume levels that are different. Is it in a specific amp or specific factory preset that you've noticed??

make sure you have set up all your I/o levels. I always switch to L+R sum before I play out and I'm getting a much hotter signal from the AX8 as compared to the Axe II, same scenario.

Yeah...it's on every preset. Some are a little better than others. I normally play in 'stereo' because I personally like to take advantage of the effects. I guess it's just a difference in the units.

but the overall sound seems to not have the clarity. AXE II sounds almost 4 dimensional and the 8 sounds like it's in another room. Is this just a difference between units?

I'm sure this would have come up before if it was normal. They should sound the same.

Have you checked your cables and tried different cables? Running from XLR out or 1/4" out? If one, try the other (they should be the same). Does is still sound like the AX8 is in another room if you crank the output 1 volume knob all the way?

It should sound exactly the same. I can't tell the difference through high end studio monitors.

That's only about 30% of the output. Turn the knob up more.
That was kind of my point. The volume in the AX8 is much lower than AXE II...because the volume output is set exactly the same but the AX8 is much lower audibly....and your response of just turning up the output knob would lead me to believe that there is a difference in the units. One has to be turned up louder than the other. It's fine..I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a bug. I read someone else having the same issue/concern..so looks like this is something others have seen as well.

That was kind of my point. The volume in the AX8 is much lower than AXE II...because the volume output is set exactly the same but the AX8 is much lower audibly....and your response of just turning up the output knob would lead me to believe that there is a difference in the units. One has to be turned up louder than the other. It's fine..I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a bug. I read someone else having the same issue/concern..so looks like this is something others have seen as well.
the output regarding knob position is different, that's all. there is less change up until 1/2 way, then more increase in volume as you go past that. go to the VU page in the Utility menu to see the actual percentage. so it's not about louder, it's about when the knob produces a certain output.

i haven't compared them specifically, but i'd guess that the available output of the AX8 matches the Axe-Fx II.

regardless, with any device, increase the mixer, speaker or amp you're connecting to for the desired perceived volume. i could show up with 2 Axe-Fx for example, and depending on how the presets are designed, i might run one Axe at 9 'o clock on the Mixer gain and another at 11 o' clock.

My AX8 doesn't sound like it's in another room with the output volume at 50% going through a pair of JBL305s. That's what makes me wonder if it's more than setting the output volume level higher.

sound like it's in another room
not sure if i missed it earlier in the thread, but i don't know what that means or is referring to. i will say that during my streams and videos when i switch from ax8 to axe-fx ii, the sound is identical (when on the same modeling versions of course). i just naturally compensate for different output needs and adjust my mixer as needed though, so i don't pay that much attention to actual output of the units.

i know the ax8 can be very loud though. i usually have to set the Output option to the -10 position to not give too much signal to the mixers at my different gigs.

not sure if i missed it earlier in the thread, but i don't know what that means or is referring to. i will say that during my streams and videos when i switch from ax8 to axe-fx ii, the sound is identical (when on the same modeling versions of course). i just naturally compensate for different output needs and adjust my mixer as needed though, so i don't pay that much attention to actual output of the units.

i know the ax8 can be very loud though. i usually have to set the Output option to the -10 position to not give too much signal to the mixers at my different gigs.

The OP wrote "AXE II sounds almost 4 dimensional and the 8 sounds like it's in another room."

I just took that in context to mean that they don't sound the same and the 8 sounds distant in comparison. Mine certainly doesn't sound distant even at 50% output volume. I only have the Helix to compare it to and their output levels are pretty close.

The OP wrote "AXE II sounds almost 4 dimensional and the 8 sounds like it's in another room."

I just took that in context to mean that they don't sound the same and the 8 sounds distant in comparison. Mine certainly doesn't sound distant even at 50% output volume. I only have the Helix to compare it to and their output levels are pretty close.
ahh i see.

yeah, i would say my axe-fx ii and ax8 sound identical in all comparable aspects. for the OP, i'd make sure the AX8 isn't being summed to mono or something like that.

@DavidE - how do those JBL305s sound with the Helix/AX8? My church has a pair of the 308s and was just curious your take on the quality with multiple modelers?

@codyraptor - have you tried an A/B comparison similar to what Chris may be doing later? Setting the AFX @ 50% and the AX8 @ 50% then just switching the 1/4" or XLRs between both? I might have some time later this weekend to try this out. I have not noticed an immense difference in overall volume to M@-man's point, but did notice a slight volume decrease when using the AX8 live. Just curious mate.

curious - what's the issue if the AX8 does output a bit less level than an Axe-Fx II? could you not compensate on the mixer or speaker by turning up the gain there? or is this more of a "how does it work" question?

Back
Top Bottom