Cheap 5 string bass for recording

NickCapp

Inspired
I am looking at purchasing a cheaper bass for recording. I have spoken to a few bassists I know and have been told to check out the Squier VM Jazz V and the SUB Ray 5. Does anyone have experience using either of these basses with the Axe Fx 2?

I'm open to any advice including other basses that might fit this 300-400 dollar price range.

Jazz V and Ray5 are pretty different tonally. Both are OK for that price... expect to change the strings to something useful and probably needing a fret job sooner than later.

i have a buddy with a SUB and he says for the price point its a killer bass. as mentioned the odds of you getting a dud are there with these being budget models but its to be expected. how versatile of an instrument do you need?

i have a buddy with a SUB and he says for the price point its a killer bass. as mentioned the odds of you getting a dud are there with these being budget models but its to be expected. how versatile of an instrument do you need?

I want to be able to get tones ranging from metal to rock to indie/folk. I wasn't sure how much passive vs. active would matter for my purposes?

I want to be able to get tones ranging from metal to rock to indie/folk. I wasn't sure how much passive vs. active would matter for my purposes?
If it was just rock and metal I'd say the sub, but indie and folk? Gonna have to vote for the j. Not saying it can't do the other 2 (it does them quite well), but I've always thought of the stingray as a one trick pony. It's a damn good trick, but those buckers are gonna be tough to clean up and dial back imo

If it was just rock and metal I'd say the sub, but indie and folk? Gonna have to vote for the j. Not saying it can't do the other 2 (it does them quite well), but I've always thought of the stingray as a one trick pony. It's a damn good trick, but those buckers are gonna be tough to clean up and dial back imo
I whole heartily disagree with this! Pino Palladino, Ross Valory, Tony Levin, James Jamerson and a whole host of others would also :p.

Try to find a used Ibanez ATK, active electronics and you get 70% Stingray sounds and much more. String spacing for a five string is also OK for slapping. But nothing beats a real Stingray... You could find used Stingrays around 1k for 4-string and 1.2-1.3k for 5-strings, unless they are really beaten up -- then you could find a deal and usually a good neck treatment makes wonders.

It also depends if you really need the Jazz Bass sound, then a Squier VM modified is OK as they have decent to good pickups (Seymour Duncan designed (not built)). But most likely you need to fix the frets, that's what I had to do with a four string Squire VM but I'm laughing to the bank each time I take that used bass to a gig (got it for $190 and two gigs paid it off.)

I'm trying to see if I can find them both in a guitar center. I just moved to the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area for school and haven't had a chance to make it down there yet. Im not much of a bass player but I guess getting one in my hands and being able to hear it will be the best way to get an answer.

You could also order used bass gear from one GC center to another. It's free shipping but if you return it within 30 days you have to pay for the original shipping costs.

I whole heartily disagree with this! Pino Palladino, Ross Valory, Tony Levin, James Jamerson and a whole host of others would also :p.
Different strokes I suppose haha, I just love the warmth and dynamics you get from those jazz single coils for more mellow styles.

I thought about used Sterlings by MM, but it's more than I want to spend. Also looked at MIM Fender and Sire.

I just wanted to thank you all for your input. I got to play both the Sub Ray 5 and the Squier VM Jazz Bass V today and I am going to go with the Jazz bass. Going to order it in the olympic white finish.

Didn't feel like creating a new topic for this.

Taking a quick break from studying (Neuroanatomy test tomorrow) to show you what came in today. I will post more better quality pictures later this week.

image.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom