Upon power on, first patch is very thin sounding...

scottp

Fractal Fanatic
Just like the title says, every time I power on my unit, the first patch is very thin and trebly sounding.
I make 1 change to a different patch then go back to the one at start up and it sounds fine.

Anyone else experience this?

Try going to the patch, resetting the amp by going to the amp block, edit, move the amp to another type then back to your desired one, then save the patch. It's possible the amp block is not loading right.

Never had it happen except after a firmware upgrade. Resetting fixed it. Not sure if that's your issue but it is worth a shot.

Just like the title says, every time I power on my unit, the first patch is very thin and trebly sounding.
I make 1 change to a different patch then go back to the one at start up and it sounds fine.

Anyone else experience this?
do you have any controller like the MFC-101 plugged in or any sort of MIDI communication? if so, if you power up without that connected, does the problem still happen?

I get that if there is a wah with auto-engage. It starts out engaged, full toe down position. As soon as I move the pedal up & down, it is back to normal.

I get that if there is a wah with auto-engage. It starts out engaged, full toe down position. As soon as I move the pedal up & down, it is back to normal.
it is most likely exactly this.

remove the wah block if you don't use it.

It's supposed to bypassed with auto engage. When the Axe is first tuned on, the wah is on, as if the pedal is in full toe down. It doesn't matter where the actual pedal position is but it is mostly left in full heel down. It only starts acting as it should after I move the pedal & then position it in full heel down. Then it goes into auto engage & is bypassed until I move the pedal again. This happens every time the Axe is first tuned on.

It's supposed to bypassed with auto engage. When the Axe is first tuned on, the wah is on, as if the pedal is in full toe down. It doesn't matter where the actual pedal position is but it is mostly left in full heel down. It only starts acting as it should after I move the pedal & then position it in full heel down. Then it goes into auto engage & is bypassed until I move the pedal again. This happens every time the Axe is first tuned on.

Go to I/o > ctrl
Scroll down until you the ctrl unit value % find the corresponding one that's controlling your wah and make sure it's set to 0%

Also, double check your MFC settings (if it's plugged in) for your pedal that is controlling the wah that it is:
1) properly calibrated
2) pedal start value is correct. (I usually use PDL, but it depends on your needs)

make sure you save the patch with the wah bypassed and make sure you have "pc reset" to "on" in the modifier linking window

Update, So tonight I tried factory patch # 40 The Brown Sound.
With my MFC-101 connected by FASLINK but nothing connected to any of the EXP ports 1 - 4, the patch has the wah active and it sound like it is toe down, high treble.

I saved the patch with the wah bypassed. But upon power up the wah is still active, just like before.
I then tried power off unit, disconnect MFC, power on unit, then finally no wah is heard.

In the I/O>CTRL menu Wah 1 is set to BYP and PEDAL 1 Type is set to Continuous.

Is it something in the MCF settings?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Update, So tonight I tried factory patch # 40 The Brown Sound.
With my MFC-101 connected by FASLINK but nothing connected to any of the EXP ports 1 - 4, the patch has the wah active and it sound like it is toe down, high treble.

I saved the patch with the wah bypassed. But upon power up the wah is still active, just like before.
I then tried power off unit, disconnect MFC, power on unit, then finally no wah is heard.

In the I/O>CTRL menu Wah 1 is set to BYP and PEDAL 1 Type is set to Continuous.

Is it something in the MCF settings?
Thanks.
Do have an expression pedal plugged into the 'Pedal 1" jack? If not, that is your problem. From the factory wahwah 1 byp should be set to CC# 97 and wahwah 2 byp should be #98. Also if you are using 'auto-engage' do not use the 'bypass' parameter. Just map your expression pedal to the 'control' knob in the wah block. I would recomend never changing the CC# asignments in the Axe FX unless you really, really have to.

Also, which unit do you have? did you purchase it new or used? If used, I would recommend a full reset.

Last edited:
Bump for some help...

At the Axe-FX I/O MIDI menu, set Ext Ctrl 1 Init Value to 100%. Then reboot and see if the wah stays off.

Alternatively you could edit the MFC's XP2 setting to "off" instead of CC#016. Or delete the wah block or at least remove the control modifier, if you don't need to actually use this wah w/ expression pedal now.

[edit - for some reason my browser did not show Moke's or Bakerman's posts above as I composed this - so I'm repeating some info here]

The wah block's 'Control' parameter range is attached to a modifier - that modifier is in turn attached to the Exp pedal connected to the MFC

When you boot up the AxeFX and MFC with no Exp pedal connected then your preset's Wah block looks to have assumed that it should be on and at full toe down position because there's no controller device attached to tell it to do otherwise.

You need to ensure the relevant Exp pedal is connected via the MFC if you have set up any blocks in your preset that are dependent on/assigned to that external pedal

I actually don't have any modifier controlled wah blocks in my working presets at the moment so I'm not 100% sure how the AxeFX reacts when an 'auto engage' modifier set up pedal is missing from the rig - but it sounds like even if it is present on boot up you would need to give the pedal a quick up and down to kick in the auto engage once and get the initial state registered with the AxeFX - then it works as normal for the rest of the session from preset to preset.

However, if the pedal is completely missing ..... then expect much weirdness ....

My first ever gig using the AxeFX and MFC scared the hell out of me when I first set the rig up because after tuning (mute output) and seeing the input meters light up on the AxeFX as normal as I did so - I then powered up my amp/cabs, flipped guitar volume to full on and joyously hit a big chord ...... and heard nothing. After a frantic 20 seconds of checking cables I realised I had not plugged in the Exp pedal which controlled a Vol block in all my presets! In this case the Vol blocks assumed a 'heel down' setting by default.

Not relevant to your problem probably, but If by any chance the pedal is connected and hardware faulty (won't calibrate or show a response in the modifier window) then you'd need to either replace it (or the cable) or if not possible then go into the presets and remove the modifier on the blocks it controls and bypass those blocks and live without them until the pedal issue is sorted out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom