More Friedman ASM-12 Love.

Has anyone done a physical side-by-side comparison of the Friedman with the B52 Actpro12 (see ACTPRO-12M) and the Harbinger HP112 (http://harbingerproaudio.com/product/hp112-2/)?

I know there is an old tread on this here http://forum.fractalaudio.com/amps-...d-full-range-cabinet-axe-fx-kemper-etc-5.html, but I think it is interesting to find out if Friedman just put the B52/Harbinger amp and speakers into their own enclosures.

If so, why pay the extra?

Ummm... maybe because they didn't do that ???

Different drivers, same amp, USA made ply cabinet, different aesthetics.

Has anyone done a physical side-by-side comparison of the Friedman with the B52 Actpro12 (see ACTPRO-12M) and the Harbinger HP112 (http://harbingerproaudio.com/product/hp112-2/)?

I know there is an old tread on this here http://forum.fractalaudio.com/amps-...d-full-range-cabinet-axe-fx-kemper-etc-5.html, but I think it is interesting to find out if Friedman just put the B52/Harbinger amp and speakers into their own enclosures.

If so, why pay the extra?

I don't know all of the details about this but I know there are some differences. According to what I've read, both companies use the same "builder" so to speak. Like I said, I'm not an expert on much of this but what I've heard. One thing I'll add is that a Marshall 4x12 and Friedman 4x12 are very similar and basically made of the same components but according to what I've read, the Friedman smokes the Marshall in terms of tone. Just my two cents.

Long story short, he preferred the CLR's and by good margin.

Others who tried both preferred the ASM-12 by good margin.

As I've mentioned in another thread, I value Yek's opinion on the ASM-12 even though he was not a fan. All of us have different reference points on what we like in terms of tone, low end, harshness, etc., etc. I have never played thru a CLR so I don't have a reference point for it but know that it has to sound great to tone of players because so many people are using it.

Something happened when I plugged into the ASM-12 that was instantly pleasing to my ears. I'm a hard rock/metal guy and those tones were easily achieved without much tweaking. Now that I've had the ASM-12 for awhile, I find I like slightly dipping the mids to get some tones like Metallica, etc. but I'm sure in a live situation, I could leave everything right where it is at.

I think guitarists are going to just have to find what works for them. Like Yek said, he is perfectly happy with his CLRs and ultimately that is what is what all of us strive for. For me personally, other solutions always left me saying "it's nice, but....". With the ASM-12 I never felt that way and anything that cures my G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) is a good thing. :) Anything in the FRFR world that gets us closer to a real cab is a win-win for all of us.

Would it be a useable option to have the ASM-12 sitting forward i.e. so that it looks like a regular cab with space to put fractal on top?

It may mean taking off the handle and putting feet on that side. The idea would be to use it as a standard backline - with the aesthetic of a regular cab.

Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Would it be a useable option to have the ASM-12 sitting forward i.e. so that it looks like a regular cab with space to put fractal on top?

It may mean taking off the handle and putting feet on that side. The idea would be to use it as a standard backline - with the aesthetic of a regular cab.

Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Yeah, I would think that could definitely be done. The cab is only "cut" on the one side so it can be leaned back for the wedge position. Upside down, it would lay flat you could set the Axe on top. As mentioned though, the handle would have to go.

Yeah, I would think that could definitely be done. The cab is only "cut" on the one side so it can be leaned back for the wedge position. Upside down, it would lay flat you could set the Axe on top. As mentioned though, the handle would have to go.
I really love the look of this cab too and seems like a great option sonically. I'm used to a cab and this seems to bridge the gap.

If anyone was really hell bent on a 'normal' amp look, I guess you could put a dummy head on top, like a Friedman Pink Taco! A lot of money for the look so a pretty crazy idea!

I really love the look of this cab too and seems like a great option sonically. I'm used to a cab and this seems to bridge the gap.

If anyone was really hell bent on a 'normal' amp look, I guess you could put a dummy head on top, like a Friedman Pink Taco! A lot of money for the look so a pretty crazy idea!

Just print a head image and glue it to a cardboard cutout

Just got mine today. Mine has a small hiss coming from the right speaker, even with no cable inserted. Is that normal?

A bit annoying when playing at low volume in my living room

Fear not guys, mine does the same thing too.. even when it's switched on with nothing plugged into it, it still has that little hiss thing going on..

Doesn't bother me as such coz I crank it up; I don't hear it on 'standby/hiss/ mode often..

Hmm. Mine hisses when its first turned on and then goes completely silent. Doesnt matter if anythings plugged in or not.

Hmm. Mine hisses when its first turned on and then goes completely silent. Doesnt matter if anythings plugged in or not.

Then there's actually something wrong with yours.

10y4axu.png

I just got my second one... Wow, love them! Heavy as shit but sound very cab like, which is what I wanted!

I have hiss for the first 5 seconds or so after power up. Dead silent after that, so if the hiss continues, you have a defective one. My only frame of reference is the QSC 12 and these are leagues above the QSC IMHO.

I just got my second one... Wow, love them! Heavy as shit but sound very cab like, which is what I wanted!

I have hiss for the first 5 seconds or so after power up. Dead silent after that, so if the hiss continues, you have a defective one. My only frame of reference is the QSC 12 and these are leagues above the QSC IMHO.

Nice man, I'm sure you're enjoying the awesomeness of both! One is great, two is rockin!!

Back
Top Bottom