FAMC LF+ Liquid Foot+ and FAS Axe-Fx II and Axe-Fx III Tutorial is now on the Wiki

GotMetalBoy

Power User
After many seconds, minutes, hours and days I have finished converting my original FAMC LF+ and FAS Axe-Fx II Tutorial to the MediaWiki markup and added it to the Axe-Fx II Wiki :D

Here is the link: FAMC Liquid Foot: FAMC Liquid Foot+ - Axe-Fx II Wiki

My tutorial explains how to setup a FAMC LF+ (Liquid Foot+) to sync in real-time with the Axe-Fx II similar to the FAS MFC-101. It also explains how to backup your LF+ and Axe-Fx II, program some advanced setups and has a link to download some LF+ Sysex programming files shared by forum members.

NOTE: BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES, BACKUP YOUR LF+ & Axe-Fx II!!!!!!

Please let me know if I need to make any changes, you want anything added or if anyone would like to share their Sysex programming files.

For more info check out my original threads:

FAS Forum - FAMC LF+ and FAS Axe-Fx II Tutorial: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/other-midi-controllers/96262-famc-lf-fas-axe-fx-ii-tutorial.html

FAMC Forum - FAMC LF+ and FAS Axe-Fx II Tutorial: FAMC LF+ and FAS Axe-Fx II Tutorial - www.FAMCmusic.com

ENJOY!

Thanks,
Lou

I recently updated my FAMC Liquid Foot+ (LF+) Tutorial: FAMC Liquid Foot+ - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Added and Updated:
* LF+ Editor
** Drag / Drop Mode
** Search/Selector Quick Pick System
* How To Use IA Slots 61-180
* How To Assign Different Pages and/or IA Maps Per Preset
** Create A New IA Map and Assign It To A Specific Preset
** Create A New Page and Assign It To A Button
** Create 2 New Pages and Assign Specific Pages To Presets
* How To Make Scenes Revert Back To Their Inital States and Not Remember IA On/Off States
** Set Axe-Fx II Scene Revert to On
* Bugs Section
* My Skype Name
* How To Use One Expression Pedal To Control Multiple Parameters
** Program an IA Slot that changes the Expression Pedal's settings when On, and returns it to the Main Global Settings when Bypassed
** Program a Preset that changes the Expression Pedal's settings, so when you are in that Preset, the Main Global Settings will be overridden until you change to another Preset that doesn't have any

I just updated this and added: Custom Phantom Power Switch for LF+.

Here is the direct link to the new section: http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2...d_Foot+#Custom_Phantom_Power_Switch_for_LF.2B

FAMC Forum member JSP0511 made a customized phantom power switch for his LF+ Pro+ but it can be used for any LF+. He also customized his pedal board with lights. You have to check out his video below because it's really cool and innovative!

Updated: Added steps to make sure to select your Axe-Fx II Model, under the Section: How To Setup LF+ and Axe-Fx II Realtime Sync: http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2...ow_To_Setup_LF.2B_and_Axe-Fx_II_Realtime_Sync

• Click Settings tab > Main Global Settings
  • Under MIDI Channel Device Configuration:
    • Select the correct Axe-Fx II Model:
      • AXE-FX II = Mark I and II
      • Once Selected the Channel Name will show:
        • AXE-FX II = AXE-FX2
        • AXE-FX II XL = AXE-FXXL
        • AXE-FX II XL+ = AXE-FXX+

Thank you to FAMC Forum Member Coldstar for bringing this to my attention. Here are forum posts regarding the issue:
External Device Sync won't work for me: http://www.famcmusic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=744
Problem fixed - GotMetalBoy, FAMC, AxeFX XL users take note: http://www.famcmusic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=767

Last edited:
Reactions: yek
Updated: Added info about how to identify a 1st G1 or 2nd G2 Generation Model. http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2...u_have_a_1st_G1_or_2nd_G2_Generation_Model.3F

Do you have a 1st G1 or 2nd G2 Generation Model?
I copied the info below from the FAS Forum: Liquid Foot Models Question: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/liquid-foot-models-question.106919/#post-1278787

From the FW release notes: v3.15
  • New: Update for Generation 2 Products.
  • Upon boot-up, firmware will contain a "G1" or "G2" label.
  • DO NOT use a G1 device as an extender with a G2 device, or vice-versa.
  • All programming however is 100% compatible.
  • The two generations are NOT compatible with regard to the expander port.
  • DO NOT plug a G2 LF+ into a Liquid-Router.
  • Please request a LF+ G1 variant upon ordering.
  • THERE IS NO FUNCTIONAL difference between the units with the exception of compatibility of expanders.
  • G1 units can connect together unmodified.
  • G2 units can be connected unmodified.
  • G2 units can be converted to G1 units prior to shipment from FAMC if you request it at order time.
  • Liquid Routers will also display G1/G2 on next firmware release.
  • All Liquid-Router units released as of 10/1/2013 are all G1 units.

Reactions: yek
I'm using an "old" LF Pro, but thanks anyway for all the work and kudos for the pedalboard LED trick :D

I've just received a LF+ Jr+, and so far I'm really liking it. Your tutorials and WIKI have really helped! Thanks for doing that. I have a question : how do I import all my AxeFX Preset names into the LF?

I have a question : how do I import all my AxeFX Preset names into the LF?

If you follow the section: How To Setup LF+ and Axe-Fx II Realtime Sync ( http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2...ow_To_Setup_LF.2B_and_Axe-Fx_II_Realtime_Sync ), that should make the LF+ retrieve the Axe-Fx II preset names when you select a LF+ preset.

If it's not working, check the following:
  • Make sure you're using a 5pin MIDI cable because some only have 3 of the pins connected
  • In the LF+ Editor check the 2 settings:
    • Preset tab: Each Preset needs to have enabled: "Use External Sync Preset Name when available". You can right click on the button to copy the setting to all the Presets
    • Settings tab > Global Features: Enable "Save Preset Name on Sync"
  • If you want to import all the Axe-Fx II Preset Names at once and not have to step on each Button (Foot Switch):
    • NOTE: This process doesn't always work correctly if you have Preset # Offset enabled
    • Go to the Utilities menu > External Device Sync
    • Enable "Selective Import"
    • External Device to Sync: Select your Axe-Fx II model (Mark I/II, XL/XL+)
    • Click "Load External Data" and wait for it to finish
    • Enable "Selective Update"
    • Enable "Preset Name"
    • Click "Update LF Presets" and wait for it to finish
    • Click Close

Hope that helps

• If you want to import all the Axe-Fx II Preset Names at once and not have to step on each Button (Foot Switch):
    • NOTE: This process doesn't always work correctly if you have Preset # Offset enabled
    • Enable "Preset Name"
    • Click Close
Perfect. Thank you for this suggestion!

I've been working on getting my Jr+ set up, and wondering about something. I made a post over on the FAMC forum, so I'll just quote part of my question here:
I'm curious about logically mapping some concepts between the AxeFX and LF. For my performances, I have a dedicated AxeFX Preset for every song, each with up to five scenes. Should I be mapping my AxeFX Preset to a LF "Preset" or a LF "Song" ? What are the advantages of each approach?

What I want to be able to do is select an AxeFX Preset, then switch to a page that contains the scenes. I have it set up and communicating with the AxeFX already, so at this point I'm just considering the best approach to organizing my mental model of the system.

If you follow the section: How To Setup LF+ and Axe-Fx II Realtime Sync ( http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=FAMC_Liquid_Foot+#How_To_Setup_LF.2B_and_Axe-Fx_II_Realtime_Sync ), that should make the LF+ retrieve the Axe-Fx II preset names when you select a LF+ preset.

If it's not working, check the following:
  • Make sure you're using a 5pin MIDI cable because some only have 3 of the pins connected
  • In the LF+ Editor check the 2 settings:
    • Preset tab: Each Preset needs to have enabled: "Use External Sync Preset Name when available". You can right click on the button to copy the setting to all the Presets
    • Settings tab > Global Features: Enable "Save Preset Name on Sync"
    • Enable "Preset Name"
    • Click Close

Hope that helps

I just added to the Wiki: How To Import Axe-Fx II Preset Names: http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2...id_Foot+#How_To_Import_Axe-Fx_II_Preset_Names

Well done. I've been using your wiki as my north star as I dig into the LF. This is my first exposure to LF midi pedals. I received it in the mail yesterday in the late afternoon and was up and running with it in about 20 minutes by following your recommendations. Now i'm working on mapping my live shows onto it so I can use it at upcoming gigs.

I've been working on getting my Jr+ set up, and wondering about something. I made a post over on the FAMC forum, so I'll just quote part of my question here:
I'm curious about logically mapping some concepts between the AxeFX and LF. For my performances, I have a dedicated AxeFX Preset for every song, each with up to five scenes. Should I be mapping my AxeFX Preset to a LF "Preset" or a LF "Song" ? What are the advantages of each approach?

What I want to be able to do is select an AxeFX Preset, then switch to a page that contains the scenes. I have it set up and communicating with the AxeFX already, so at this point I'm just considering the best approach to organizing my mental model of the system.

I have band practice in a few minutes but I'll reply when I get a chance

I have a hunch. For the sake of clarity, I'll capitalize logical LF objects like Song, Set List, etc. I am cribbing useful notes from much more respectable sources, including your wiki and the owner's manual. It's starting to become somewhat clear.

It appears to me that:
  • Set Lists contain Songs. As writ in the Liquinomicon (owner's manual), there are up to 128 Set Lists, each with up to 60 Songs.
  • Songs contain Presets. Again, quoth the Liquinomicon, there may be up to 254 Songs, each containing up to 24 Presets. The LF support 384 Presets, each with up to 20 commands and parameters.
So if I want to use Set List functionality, I'd need to establish a mapping between Song -> Preset. I probably will take advantage of the ease with which I can create Set Lists in the LF, so I'll go ahead and complete this quick mapping process. Since I have a discrete AxeFX Preset for every song, I'd be making a logical 1:1 mapping for each AxeFX "Preset" to a LF "Preset" (but of course, as noted above, the LF could send many more commands and params with each Preset). Then I could proceed to group my Songs into a Set List, and thusly impose my will upon the universe. Or at least that portion of the universe within the maximum recommended length of a standard MIDI cable.

C'mon, say it with me : Liquinomicon! Bruce Campbell would be so proud.

Last edited:

I use the LF system as follows:

An Axe FX preset equals a LF song. So, I create a dedicated Axe FX preset for every song I'm going to perform, and I create a LF song and insert the PC command into the song programming line to make the Axe FX switch to the correct song.

I set the song parameter "arm song only".

I create song specific presets in the LF system - how ever many sections/variations of the song there may be. For simplicity, lets say you need Verse, Chorus, Solo, Ending. Okay then, make 4 liquid foot presets with those names. enter the Scene command into the preset to cause the Axe FX to change to the correct scene you've created.

Now fill the LF song, with the 4 presets (or however many your song needs).

Now, repeat that process until you've assembled a bunch of liquid foot songs, and a bunch of song specific presets - verse, chorus, solo, bridge, outro, boost - and within each liquid foot preset, insert the scene change command.

Now make a Liquid Foot set list and drag the songs into the set list.

Now run your LF pedal in Set list mode.

Your LF page will need a CONTEXT UP and CONTEXT down button which is how you will scroll or jump to the next song. The song will not arm (and therefore your Axe FX will not change to a new preset) until you step on a preset within the song. Set the context up and context down button to "TOGGLE" and not "Trigger" or "Toggle and Trigger". Make sure your context up/down buttons are set to TOGGLE.

So, in the end:

Axe fX preset equals a LF Song
Axe fX scene equals a LF preset.

The beautiful part of the LF system is, that not only can you create Axe FX scene changes by programming LF presets, but if you have many other pieces of midi gear, you are essentially creating a rig sized super scene with the LF preset. Meaning, in the verse, chorus, brigde, solo - your LF preset dictates which effects are on/off, and send CC messages to control wet/dry mix, delay repeats, etc. You can control each piece of gear in your rack with micro-precision, much in the same way that Axe FX scene controllers can do when attached to effect modifiers.

Good luck and happy programming.

I have a hunch. For the sake of clarity, I'll capitalize logical LF objects like Song, Set List, etc. I am cribbing useful notes from much more respectable sources, including your wiki and the owner's manual. It's starting to become somewhat clear.

It appears to me that:
  • Set Lists contain Songs. As writ in the Liquinomicon (owner's manual), there are up to 128 Set Lists, each with up to 60 Songs.
  • Songs contain Presets. Again, quoth the Liquinomicon, there may be up to 254 Songs, each containing up to 24 Presets. The LF support 384 Presets, each with up to 20 commands and parameters.
So if I want to use Set List functionality, I'd need to establish a mapping between Song -> Preset. I probably will take advantage of the ease with which I can create Set Lists in the LF, so I'll go ahead and complete this quick mapping process. Since I have a discrete AxeFX Preset for every song, I'd be making a logical 1:1 mapping for each AxeFX "Preset" to a LF "Preset" (but of course, as noted above, the LF could send many more commands and params with each Preset). Then I could proceed to group my Songs into a Set List, and thusly impose my will upon the universe. Or at least that portion of the universe within the maximum recommended length of a standard MIDI cable.

C'mon, say it with me : Liquinomicon! Bruce Campbell would be so proud.

I setup my LF+ similar to how Rod does except I sometimes have to use multiple Axe-Fx II presets per song and can't just use multiple scenes per song.

I have my LF+ set to Set List Mode.

I create LF+ presets for each section of a song and name them after each section of the song and I don't retrieve the Axe-Fx II preset names for them because I use a lot of the same Axe-Fx II presets. I sometimes add the tap tempo command for intros that I start and for mid sections I start, especially if there's a tempo change and I need an FX to be synced to it. Also, on the Axe-Fx II, I enable Ignore Redundant PC, so if a LF+ preset is just changing scenes, the sound doesn't cut out trying to reload the preset again.

I use the Quick Pick window on the left side of the LF+ Editor to drag and drop presets into songs and songs into set lists.

For songs, I arrange the presets, so they go in order of the song. Example: Intro, Verse, PreChorus, Chorus, PreVerse, Verse, PreChorus, Chorus, Break, Solo, Chorus, Outro. I use button 1 to advance thru the LF+ presets, which I explain below.

I use 2 pages depending on what I'm doing. I have one for playing live and the other is for jamming and writing. I select the page by holding down the 2 page shift buttons 10+11 at the same time at the top of my LF+ Pro+. I'm not sure how to do that on a Jr+

The Live page has a preset up button on button 1, so I only have to think about stepping on that button for each section of the song. I don't have an active button above or to the right of it because I don't want any chance of me accidentally stepping on the wrong button. Button 3 has a preset down button just in case I step on button 1 twice. I have a tuner button. Song Up/Down button, Set List Uo/Down button, Tap Tempo button that blinks the tempo and I have a Preset 1 button that I have to hit to arm each song.

The jamming and writing page has a Program Change Up/Down button, a bunch of IA FX buttons, Tuner and tap tempo that blinks.

My tutorial has a link to my dropbox which has a folder with my most recent LF+ programming. Just make sure to backup your LF+ before loading it. Once loaded, you can go to the Page tab in the LF+ Editor and click on the 60B View button to see how I have my buttons organized. I'm actually in the process of re-programming my LF+ for a 20 year reunion show I'm going to do with one of my first bands. I'll upload the programming when I'm done.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for all the great information and handy tips! I'll work through the tutorial this weekend. I'm feeling pretty confident in my understanding at this point, and realizing how easy it will be to use the LF+ a powerful nerve center for my rig. Really digging it!

It is a great system, once you absorb the concept. Took me 3 weeks and I almost shipped the pedal back to Jeff. Once the light bulb turned on, I never looked back.

For instance, let's say you craft a bunch of songs and presets. And let's say you tend to use "page 10" for your presets, and on page 10, button 1 is the main button, like GotMetalBoy described.

But, then you break your leg.

And you want button 4 to be the main button, because you can reach it easier with your other leg.

You can make a mirror image alternate page, like "page 30" but then drag it into the page 10 position (thereby shifting your normal page 10, into the next slot. Or you can first copy your page 10 into a temporary holding area, like page 45, for instance, so that it is there after your leg heals. And then move the mirror image page 30, into the now vacant page 10 position.

Now, all of your presets are using the mirror image new "page 10". Now you can use your good leg to push buttons.

And when you are healed 100%, reverse all that and go back to your normal page 10.

Ingenious.

It is a great system, once you absorb the concept. Took me 3 weeks and I almost shipped the pedal back to Jeff. Once the light bulb turned on, I never looked back.

For instance, let's say you craft a bunch of songs and presets. And let's say you tend to use "page 10" for your presets, and on page 10, button 1 is the main button, like GotMetalBoy described.

But, then you break your leg.

And you want button 4 to be the main button, because you can reach it easier with your other leg.

You can make a mirror image alternate page, like "page 30" but then drag it into the page 10 position (thereby shifting your normal page 10, into the next slot. Or you can first copy your page 10 into a temporary holding area, like page 45, for instance, so that it is there after your leg heals. And then move the mirror image page 30, into the now vacant page 10 position.

Now, all of your presets are using the mirror image new "page 10". Now you can use your good leg to push buttons.

And when you are healed 100%, reverse all that and go back to your normal page 10.

Ingenious.

I almost sent mine back too but I'm glad I didn't. My Pro+ had 2 button displays with dead pixels and Jeff fixed it both times for free and paid shipping both ways.

It's ironic that you mention making a mirror image of a page bc that's what I'm planning on doing. Luckily it's not because I broke a leg. It's because I'm better at balancing on my left leg while stepping on buttons with my right foot.

Pages are what make the LF+ so flexible. I used to have a FAS MFC-101 and it worked great but I couldn't assign presets or IAs wherever I wanted.

The main issue I have with FAMC is that I wish they had better documentation and would give examples of how to use their programming commands and share some programming file examples too. Jeff has personally called me to help program my LF+ but I would have never figured out to use the commands I ended up using like IF Processing Trigger, Skip because the manual has it named IF Trigger Skip and doesn't have the greatest explanation.

Back
Top Bottom