Also Available in Black...

Why do these have a volume in/out in addition to just the TRS Exp jack ? Will they work at a traditional volume pedal as well ?

Is this a ground up design or what it from a commercially produced housing, maybe with a custom spec pot and Fractal branding ?

They also work as a traditional volume pedal. There are two ganged pots inside, one is a high-impedance log-taper volume pot and the other is a low-impedance linear-taper expression pot. The design is our own.

Beautiful design. I really like the look. Can you give us the dimensions, or perhaps describe their size relative to a Mission controller? The Mission controller (basically a CryBaby size) is pretty good, but (1) the action / response of the pedal is a little sloppy and (2) the jacks are on the side. You can *just* fit the MFC-101 plus two of those Mission controllers on a standard 24" board, but you need very flat right-angle plugs, and even so, it's a very tight fit. If the Fractal pedal controller is the same size, just putting the jacks on the end will solve the problem; if the Fractal pedals a slightly smaller, it give us a little extra room between them.

They also work as a traditional volume pedal. There are two ganged pots inside, one is a high-impedance log-taper volume pot and the other is a low-impedance linear-taper expression pot. The design is our own.

Very clever concept! My life would have been so much easier over the past decade if this idea would come along sooner. Always was tough finding a good dual purpose pedal as they never excelled at both.

Out of curiosity then, is the traditional volume aspect meant to be marketed as a stand alone pedal, even to non Axe owners, or is it just intended for people to use it as a normal volume pedal in front of their axe ? Hopefully that question made sense lol

But what if pedals had never been made with a switch..?
whistle.gif

I know, old habits etc... but that's all they are, 'habits'
wink.gif

No, it's not old habits... It's a matter of functionality, or lack thereof in this case.

I prefer a toe-switch as well because I like to use one pedal for both volume and wha functions. The toe-switch allows me to easily change functions from the pedal itself without having to click a switch on my midi controller and then move my foot to the pedal. I can use one pedal with a switch for multiple functions without tap-dancing. I cannot do that with auto engage.

It's not even a matter of functionality, it's a matter of preference. There are those who will find this design superior for a number of reasons, and those that won't. So, you buy what works for you. Mission and Boss both make some very nice pedals that are used to great effect with the Axe and include hard switches. For those of us who don't need the switches, this would seem to be a pretty nice device. You pays yer munny and you makes yer choice. Ain't no thang.

As an aside, look for eBay to get loaded up with a generous mittenful of Mission and Boss pedals at attractive prices. I know of at least 4 of them that'll be there as soon as the Fractal units are available.

No, it's not old habits... It's a matter of functionality

I prefer a toe-switch as well because I like to use one pedal for both volume and wha functions. The toe-switch allows me to easily change functions from the pedal itself without having to click a switch on my midi controller.

I can use one pedal with a switch for multiple functions without tap-dancing. I cannot do that with auto engage.

Now that I can appreciate better
thumbsup.gif

Would sir like two pedals in that case..?
wink.gif

Have you tried a spring loaded Mission with the Axe set to auto engage ? Step on it and the effect kicks in, take your foot off and it turns off. No click, or returning the pedal to O etc. Fantastic combination for live performance (unless you like leaving a half cocked wah on for effect, but then you can set that sort of thing with a footswitch or just make it part of a patch/scene)

I haven't tried the spring loaded version yet. The main reason is because I'm hoping I can configure the switchable version so that it is a volume pedal when disengaged, and then a wah when it is engaged. I don't know if this is possible or not as I'm still using a normal wah so haven't had the chance to try out the Missions yet.

Totally agree with you on the half cocked wah, that would make sense to be programmed into the patch rather than using up a whole expression pedal.

not sure how a normal volume pedal could be axe only.

EXACTLY, which is why I'm wondering if their plan for this pedal was to offer it to the broader general market, rather than a product just intended to be marketed towards Axe-Fx users. In other words, expand the Fractal brand to products not directly tied to a high end modeling processor, go "mainstream" have Guitar Center start stocking them etc etc.

Beautiful design. I really like the look. Can you give us the dimensions, or perhaps describe their size relative to a Mission controller? The Mission controller (basically a CryBaby size) is pretty good, but (1) the action / response of the pedal is a little sloppy and (2) the jacks are on the side. You can *just* fit the MFC-101 plus two of those Mission controllers on a standard 24" board, but you need very flat right-angle plugs, and even so, it's a very tight fit. If the Fractal pedal controller is the same size, just putting the jacks on the end will solve the problem; if the Fractal pedals a slightly smaller, it give us a little extra room between them.

ya im wondering the same about dimensions..is it shorter than a Mission? i hope so

is there more spectrum of colors ?, I mean Sport colors like, Green, Red, Blue,... Like EBMM Majesty guitar may be, but with out look like a Carbon Fiber design ;)

Well, at first this wasn't a big deal to me... but upon further review these look fantastic. I think I want 3!

Symmetrical design - meaning, this appears to be the same width front and rear... I dislike tapered pedals. They take up too much room on the board (or at least appear to). I like a neat little row of pedals that I can fit tight to each other.

Jacks on the End. - For the same reason. My board hides all the wires "down below" under a plexiglass top. This allows one single hole at the top.

TRS Jack - My EB VP JR's have jacks on the end, (and they are symmetrical) but I have to use 2 of them each since they are traditional volume pedals. x 3 thats a lot of wires, and I use stereo insert jacks to combine them down below which creates a larger wire bundle to deal with. It's just not as clean. Clear advantage to Fractal here.

Gear Drive - No strings to fail. I've never had it happen, but don't want to either!

Black Finish - cuz I just dig it. Looks clean and mean.

Split non-skid with center logo - personal preference. I like this, as I can put a label right in the middle to remind me which of my 3 pedals is VOL, WAH, FX. or whatever...

Dislikes: None yet. Would love to know the specs.. dimensions and weight. I don't need to add weight to my board... Also am looking forward to checking out the travel and feel, as well as the pot algorithm. I use the EB for wah, but it takes some tweaking around with the wah curve in axe-edit to make it right.

Small detail - hoping the rubber feet are removable. Some pedals use those screws to hold the bottom plate in place. Not a big deal, but I like to remove the feet to Velcro to my board.

Full review forthcoming as soon as I get my hands on a few of these....

WHEN? (soon?) :roll

Back
Top Bottom