Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By s0c9

Thread: Axe.Edit(1.0) <> Ultra. Please help

Axe.Edit(1.0) <> Ultra. Please help

Can not understand what is wrong with my Axe.Edit(1.0) <> Ultra
    setup, Please help.

1. Axe.Edit(1.0) reads from Ultra (I’m able to “sync from hardware”)
    2. Axe.Edit(1.0) able to edit presets, and it does affects Ultra hardware.
    3. But I get “bad check sum” message every time I want to save to Ultra the preset, modified with Axe.Edit(1.0)
    4. I can not store to Ultra any cabinet .sys file (OwnHammer) from Axe.Edit(1.0). I guess the same issue, connected to p.3.

With beta version Axe.Edit(0.9) everything used to work properly.

Configuration:
    OS=Windows.XP.x64
    MIDI=ECHO.Gina3G (absolute winner in stability with Windows)

Now I can see some more:
    5. When I’m trying to change Preset.Name within Axe.Edit1.0 and sending it to the Ultra, then ONLY letters I changed are passing to Ultra, but not the whole Preset.Name (all letters). It looks like: If the old Preset.Name was “01 Jazz for fingers” and I’m about to change it to “01 PopRock” within the Axe.Edit1.0, then the new Ultra Preset.Name is: “01 PopRockr fingers”

I appreciate your comment very much.
    Thanks.

PS: I used to work for commercial Bank as a manager of software development department. The developers say: if the software connected to a Human Live or something important, real-time crucial, then newer use Java 
    Last edited by nolik; Jul-13-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Are you on a Mac or PC ?
    Which OS ?
    Which midi interface ?
    What do you have your buffer size and delay times set to ?

The workspace is different in the new version. I had to move my Banks and IRs to the new location (wherever you installed it - mine is a directory called workspace under the usual path (MyDocuments>FractalAudio).
    Then you have to reconfigure the MIDI. I basically uninstalled the old version and installed V1.0 and configured the MIDI, moved the banks/IRs and assigned the user IRs again.

I like the new interface. You can see what IR is in what user location.

Quote Originally Posted by hussamd View Post
    ...I like the new interface. You can see what IR is in what user location.
    Question related to that: does Axe-Edit 1.0 remember what's in your 10 user slots (a) because it "reads" it from your Axe-FX, or (b) because it stores the info in <some file> on your computer when you load them in?

I ask because I assume the latter (simply because I don't think the .syx files for a cab block include any information related to name or filename, and because you can easily change a .syx's filename). And if my assumption is correct, then if you use two different computers (i.e. your home PC and a laptop you bring with you to rehearsals / studio / gigs), then the two stored files could easily become out-of-sync.

M-Audio i/f: The old Axe-Edit used to lock up pretty often, meaning it wouldn't upload presets after a while until I restart the complete PC. After the new MIDI engine I hoped for better, but I still get it (maybe it's sth in my system..., I'll try with a netbook).

So I try with another i/f (ESI M4U XL). It retrieves the Axe version, so I guessed everything would be ok.
    But when selecting a preset, the Axe screen is showing "Bad Checksum" every time...
    This is getting more frustrating than it ever was.

Quote Originally Posted by vAmp View Post
    M-Audio i/f: The old Axe-Edit used to lock up pretty often, meaning it wouldn't upload presets after a while until I restart the complete PC. After the new MIDI engine I hoped for better, but I still get it (maybe it's sth in my system..., I'll try with a netbook).

So I try with another i/f (ESI M4U XL). It retrieves the Axe version, so I guessed everything would be ok.
    But when selecting a preset, the Axe screen is showing "Bad Checksum" every time...
    This is getting more frustrating than it ever was.
    Which M-Audio i/f? Which OS ?

Quote Originally Posted by s0c9 View Post
    Which M-Audio i/f? Which OS ?
    M-Audio FastTrack Ultra 8R (USB straight into PC). BTW: it has *always* updated FW fine though (w MIDI OX), but won't update the MFC FW (the ESI can).
    OS is XP SP3.

I'd have to recheck in detail what often happens. There often comes a time when flipping through presets with the arrow buttons that it doesn't upload them anymore, and maybe even the preset grid is not visually refreshing with new presets, just the names are changing. Sadly, it's often not enough to restart Axe-Edit and Axe, I have to restart PC. I don't think I've had it with the netbook, but haven't used that much. Will try that and see if it has it. I think this may be a problem in my system.

What's worse is that I believe the ESI used to work fine w Axe-Edit, though not for FW updating. But now I have trouble with both... I have a third but it clashes with my webcam drivers

Does this program also use Java or was that only the old editor? In that case maybe I should update java.
    Last edited by vAmp; Jul-13-2011 at 02:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpoirier View Post
    Question related to that: does Axe-Edit 1.0 remember what's in your 10 user slots (a) because it "reads" it from your Axe-FX, or (b) because it stores the info in <some file> on your computer when you load them in?

I ask because I assume the latter (simply because I don't think the .syx files for a cab block include any information related to name or filename, and because you can easily change a .syx's filename). And if my assumption is correct, then if you use two different computers (i.e. your home PC and a laptop you bring with you to rehearsals / studio / gigs), then the two stored files could easily become out-of-sync.
    Axe-Edit remembers the last files it sent to an Ultra or a Standard.

For the Axe-Fx II, it reads the names from the hardware (this is another really nice understated improvement, imo!)

To Nolik, the OP: Try to answer S0C9's question about SETTINGS: AUDIO MIDI SETTINGS: Buffer and Delay settings. That will help us to help you.
    --
    m@

Fractal Audio Systems

M-Audio FastTrack Ultra 8R (USB straight into PC). BTW: it has *always* updated FW fine though (w MIDI OX), but won't update the MFC FW (the ESI can).
    OS is XP SP3.
    My guess is that the 8R does not fully support the midi sysex spec, which may be contributing to the issue. I suggest you change the midi buffer size/delay values from default (256/60) to 128/90 in AxeEdit and see if that makes any difference.
    And.. do you have both midi IN/OUT breakout cables connected to the MIDI IN/OUt ports on the Axe ?
    I'd have to recheck in detail what often happens. There often comes a time when flipping through presets with the arrow buttons that it doesn't upload them anymore, and maybe even the preset grid is not visually refreshing with new presets, just the names are changing. Sadly, it's often not enough to restart Axe-Edit and Axe, I have to restart PC. I don't think I've had it with the netbook, but haven't used that much. Will try that and see if it has it. I think this may be a problem in my system.

What's worse is that I believe the ESI used to work fine w Axe-Edit, though not for FW updating. But now I have trouble with both... I have a third but it clashes with my webcam drivers
    Again, even with this (simpler) i/f try changing the buffer/delay sizes and see what happens.

Does this program also use Java or was that only the old editor? In that case maybe I should update java.
    No java used. C++.

Quote Originally Posted by Dpoirier View Post

You are correct. It remembers the location on the computer. I use the Ultra for playing at home and my presets are in a bank file and not on the Ultra.

TYVM s0c9
    I've just noticed there's a recent driver update for the M-Audio, so will get back to you after trying that and the netbook and your suggestions.

What happens is indeed that suddenly just the preset names change, but not the grid anymore and nothing is uploaded. I've also given plenty time, not rushing through the presets. When this starts to happen doesn't seem related to anything particular. "It happens when it happens" when I try to load another preset.

When I exit Axe-Edit I've checked if it is removed from processes and it is. If there was anything I could restart except my PC, that would already help, but let's first attempt the above.

Are you on a Mac or PC ?
    Which OS ?
    Which midi interface ?
    What do you have your buffer size and delay times set to ?
    Configuration:
    OS=Windows.XP.x64

MIDI settings standard: buffer=256 delay=90
    I tried all possible settings with MIDI with no success. I guess the software is still in Beta caused by Java.

Quote Originally Posted by nolik View Post
    Configuration:
    OS=Windows.XP.x64

MIDI settings standard: buffer=256 delay=90
    I tried all possible settings with MIDI with no success. I guess the software is still in Beta caused by Java.
    As I stated above in another post, it could be that the device (Gina in this case) has not fully implemented the MIDI Sysex spec, but works for most other things MIDI.
    It might also be related to the XP64 drivers... do you have current Gina 7.32 drivers installed?
    Did you try 128/90 settings in AxeEdit?

PS: There is nothing Java in AxeEdit.

BTW: yes, I'm using both cables. I think it could never have worked at all otherwise?

I have now blown up the outs of the Ultra... How come?

I installed the latest driver for the M-Audio.
    That was even worse than before. It didn't even wanna see the Axe!!! (y, I configured the MIDI in/outs)
    Same thing happened on the netbook!
    And even worse, it destroyed something somewhere, because after installing the previous driver, that didn't wanna work anymore!

I then installed the MIDISPORT 4x4 to the netbook and that seems to work well, but is a bit unhandy.

I then wanted to check if the M-Audio could still be used in Cubase. For that, I had to patch a cable that went into a balanced in of my mixer into the in of the M-Audio. When I pulled that jack, it didn't come out quick enough and I got stuck a few seconds halfway. I guess this somehow destroyed all the Ultra's outs? If not, it was a MIDI signal.

What a nightmare...
    Last edited by vAmp; Jul-13-2011 at 07:50 PM.
    SG Spec. 60s Trib, P90s | MM Luke II, EMGs | AFX Ultra & II | 2x Atomic FRFR | GT1000FX 2U | MFC-101

I then wanted to check if the M-Audio could still be used in Cubase. For that, I had to patch a cable that went into a balanced in of my mixer into the in of the M-Audio. When I pulled that jack, it didn't come out quick enough and I got stuck a few seconds halfway. I guess this somehow destroyed all the Ultra's outs? If not, it was a MIDI signal.

What a nightmare...
    That seems weird... AFAIK - what you described should not short/fry/kill the Axe OUTS.. something else is going on!
    I've done that lots while hooking up my Ultra after gigs - OUT2 into my mixer.

Did you try different presets?
    You said elsewhere that you power cycled the Axe...
    Did you check Global EQ's, or output settings.
    Are the output knobs accidentally set to zero?
    Firmware reload (after backing up presets, etc) ??

Midi signal should have nothing to do with the Audio output not working, unless some weird glitch occurred.

That seems weird... AFAIK - what you described should not short/fry/kill the Axe OUTS.. something else is going on!
    You think so?

I didn't really have to check much (but I did anyway of course) because everything had been working just before.
    Just now decided to give it one last chance.
    Turns out that "hidden in plain sight" I had a controller pedal for volume lifted The only thing I didn't check.

Oh man, I was *so* confident I never would be "that guy"
    But so happy I am. I had already reinforced the original box with plenty duct tape
    SG Spec. 60s Trib, P90s | MM Luke II, EMGs | AFX Ultra & II | 2x Atomic FRFR | GT1000FX 2U | MFC-101

Problem solved.

I’ve set MIDI buffer size=10000 and that solved the “bad checksum” problem. Now Axe.Edit is able to save presets and custom cabinets to Ultra.

I guess this knowledge could be stick to Wiki.
    Thanks to everybody.

You think so?

I didn't really have to check much (but I did anyway of course) because everything had been working just before.
    Just now decided to give it one last chance.
    Turns out that "hidden in plain sight" I had a controller pedal for volume lifted The only thing I didn't check.

Oh man, I was *so* confident I never would be "that guy"
    But so happy I am. I had already reinforced the original box with plenty duct tape
    LOL - happens to the best of us!! <phew>

Quote Originally Posted by nolik View Post
    Problem solved.

I’ve set MIDI buffer size=10000 and that solved the “bad checksum” problem. Now Axe.Edit is able to save presets and custom cabinets to Ultra.

I guess this knowledge could be stick to Wiki.
    Thanks to everybody.
    Yes it could be on wiki, but I would caution making it a general rule-of-thumb because it appears to be Gina specific. Folks have posted that many devices work with different settings (lower).. so if you add it, please flag it as working for the GinaG3.. Glad you are up and running again!

Yes it could be on wiki, but I would caution making it a general rule-of-thumb because it appears to be Gina specific.
    Wooow, this (10000 / 60) finally did the trick for the ESI M4U XL as well! <phew> ;-)
    Thanks Nolik *and* s0c9!