Former Kemper user, just bought axefx II

jzucker

Experienced
Love the kemper but the effects are horrible. So , I just bought an Axefx II. Primarily interested in clean fender tones but I also use dumbly and holdsworthian overdrives.

I haven't gotten my axefx yet but I have a few questions.

1) Will the built-in speaker impulses be good enough to get great cleans? What I use on the kemper is a '64 vibroverb set for no overdrive. It's profiled with a jensen 15 I believe which is a bit nasally for my tastes but it works for the most part. A 15" JBL might be a better bet...Looking forward to better digital time based effects that the kemper gives you, including 60s spring reverb.

Here's an example of what I get out of the kemper. Looking for something similar to start with.

2) What are some good patches to start with for clean, semi-clean dumble and violiny dumble-style leads?
3) What's the smallest rack that I can get for it? I don't need space for other gear.

thanks in advance!

Nice playing, and love the guitar. 175? Sounds nice.

The built in IRs are really good. You'll find everything from little 1x6 speakers to huge cabs. There are several 15s. The list is here:
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Cab:_all_models

As with the Kemper, you can also create your own if you have a speaker you love. There are 512 available User slots, if I recall. And there are cabs available free on Axe-Change, as well as a plethora of commercially produced cabs out there.

For the amps, there are several Vibroverbs that you might be familiar with, as well as the full range of familiar Fender models from the era. Depending on what you're looking for in mid-gain sounds there are Dumble models, as well as some others that work here such as the Shiva model (called Shiver in the Axe Fx). You'll enjoy the variety.

The unit is standard 19" rack size, and a bit over 14" deep with nothing connected to the back. There are many threads on cases, a search here will find a lot. 2 spaces, and 16 or so inches deep if you want to keep anything plugged up in the back. I purposely added a little depth to have room for the cords in the back because I also have a power conditioner and a Vafam rack panel to bring all my connections to the front of the case. I bought this one:http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pro-X-T...653181?hash=item5b05ff7afd:g:AF0AAOSwMzVTxBVO

Probably bigger than you want, but hellaciously strong (you can stand on it, or stack things on it if needed) and extremely well made. Works great for me. They do make a 2 space version too.

Welcome to the group! I am quite sure you are going to love it.

quantum2.jpg

We have an upcoming cab pack that has dozens of IRs that were shot from our recently acquired '64 Vibroverb with the original JBL speaker.

Also our upcoming Quantum 2.0 firmware features significant improvements to the very amps you mention.

2.0...whuuuuut^^

Time to polish my F5-button :)

We have an upcoming cab pack that has dozens of IRs that were shot from our recently acquired '64 Vibroverb with the original JBL speaker.

Also our upcoming Quantum 2.0 firmware features significant improvements to the very amps you mention.
Woah, mic drop!

Hmmmm, you don't say ... if you care to, do tell... ;)

Ahhh...?? Yeah!!! 2.0.....? Qauntum..? OK!?

Welcome.

1. Yes, the built in IR's will work for you. You may choose to find others, but at worse you spend a bit extra for a Cab pack that will further suit your needs.
2. There is a Jazz patch that you can give a run on. But I suspect that you'll be able to tweak some of the other D Styles that might work better for you. Look them over with Axe Edit when your box arrives.
3. 2U. Although if you are paranoid like I am, I get a 3U rack and put a power conditioner in there (mostly to protect the $5000 worth of equipment I run through it...2 CLR, Axe +, MFC.)

And you seem familiar to me. Were you part of the family back in the Ultra/Standard days? Or maybe talked to you on TGP.

R

Back
Top Bottom